Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help please - battery (and mouse) problems

I reset the (humane) trap and got another (slightly smaller) mouse last night.

I basically looked for their trail by following their droppings. I then put the trap along the trail behind my BBQ, so that the trap was almost in the dark - they say you have to make it look like it could be their home.

Not sure how many more there are, but there are still no droppings inside the Porsche :) - I guess I caught it in time

They set up shop in my C4 a couple of years ago. Nested in the cabin air filter and then ate their way into the cabin through the seals in the front bulkhead causing water ingress. They then ate the gearknob leather for added insult.

Selfset mouse traps are your friend here (Selfset is the brand name). And personally I find mini Babybel cheese to be particularly effective bait - hard enough to go on the trap but soft enough not to crumble or snap off. One mini Babybel will bait about 10 traps.

I put three traps in the passenger footwell - nailed three mice on the first night and then a fourth on the second. No more mice.

Now I've got traps all round the garage walls so it's like a death run for the little blighters as I don't want to face a repair bill like that again!

Wow, those look like serious mouse (death) traps!!

The problem with the humane trap is that you have to clean it of course.

My problem is that I've seen how cute they are with their big eyes. I was so mad before I saw them, but now I can't kill them. My daughter wanted to keep them as a pet :roll:

Mice Problem

Spread some containers of peppermint oil around where the car is stored. Rodents hate the smell of peppermint.

...the saga continues...

So I got into my car on Friday and noticed a tap, tap, tap noise in the roof. I banged my hand on the headliner and heard a scampering to the rear of the car, then a little left, right, etc.

So I set a trap in the car and today I caught the mouse - number 3!!

Therefore was definitely a mouse between the roof and headliner :x - how on earth did it get up there?

I am starting to get a little paranoid about these creatures. Everytime I drive, I'm listening for scampering feet or squeaking noises - and I'm not talking about my Porsche that is nearly 20 years old :hand:

Keep right on trapping - if there's a nest somewhere there will be several mice and they will keep coming back. Ideally find the nest it and then disinfect it to make it less attractive to them.

I'd put several traps down at once so you can catch lots of them per night before they do proper damage. My indie had a story of £15k for an engine drop and wiring looms on a turbo!

My nest was in the passenger compartment air filter - I'd check the whole scuttle area as it's relatively easy access (for a mouse) and nicely enclosed so makes a delightful little home.

RichiRich said:
...the saga continues...

So I got into my car on Friday and noticed a tap, tap, tap noise in the roof. I banged my hand on the headliner and heard a scampering to the rear of the car, then a little left, right, etc.

So I set a trap in the car and today I caught the mouse - number 3!!

Therefore was definitely a mouse between the roof and headliner :x - how on earth did it get up there?

I am starting to get a little paranoid about these creatures. Everytime I drive, I'm listening for scampering feet or squeaking noises - and I'm not talking about my Porsche that is nearly 20 years old :hand:

There is a gap at the base of the front A pillar trims .. a mouse could easily get up there .. unusual as they normally stick to ground lvl.

My concern is you seem to have a sensible infestation .. if they do start to chew wires .. and there is plenty in the runs along side the seats then you are going to be into an expensive repair .

In this case i think a garage getting them out is the best way forward .. find the main nest .. then .. probably not via humain methods get rid of them .

EG-C4 said:
Keep right on trapping - if there's a nest somewhere there will be several mice and they will keep coming back. Ideally find the nest it and then disinfect it to make it less attractive to them.

I'd put several traps down at once so you can catch lots of them per night before they do proper damage. My indie had a story of £15k for an engine drop and wiring looms on a turbo!

My nest was in the passenger compartment air filter - I'd check the whole scuttle area as it's relatively easy access (for a mouse) and nicely enclosed so makes a delightful little home.

Thats odd, I leave my bonnet open in the garage to trickle charge and I noticed some fluff in the cabin filter last week, yes a mouse had nibbled through it! Put down loads of poison, after the first night lots had been eaten , but none since. Ill leave some inside the car just in case.

I have a cat that patrols the garage on a daily basis. :thumb:

Pollen filter and the foam cover behind the battery with the heater pipes going through it are x2 common ways mice get inside the car .. the foam panel will cause water ingress to the car btw if chewed through.

Mice when nesting on an engine WILL chew through the knock sensor wires ..

The ONLY times i have ever seen knock sensor faults have been due to this .

there is a plastic panel that runs the length of the car under the carpet which is basically under the boot / bonnet switch pack .. this is how they get to the rear of the car ... they like to nest at the back of the car and behind the rear quarter panel .. bellow the rear window basically .. its warm there .

Its rare for them to run in the open and accross carpets.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back