Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 C4S to 997.1 Turbo tiptronic?

FZP said:
S444Will said:
No not me, she hasn't moved today. I'm based in Yorkshire so not a million miles away but not me on this occasion.
I didn't realise how common red 997s were :D
Well I just lost the house as there is an identical Guards Red 4S with those wheels in black. The one I saw today had a tan interior, don't tell me it's a proper doppelganger with the trifecta of features

No it's not quite identical then, mines got dark grey interior. I did go check in the garage just to make sure it was still there!! :?: yep still there :D

Thanks for all of the replies. You guys have just confirmed what I already knew really, I'm sure there isn't such a thing as a bad choice just the correct choice for each person. I need to drive one then make a decision.

T8 said:
The torque of the Turbo means that it is better suited to a Tiptronic or PDK box than any other sports Porsche.

If you're planning on sticking with the best colour I know where there's a really nice one for sale. :)

See --> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=129529&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I keep finding myself going back to have a look at the advert for your turbo, it looks like a cracking example and I like the fact it's under an opc warranty until 2020.
In the service history it mentions that it's had a new gearbox at 50500 and then 59000 miles, what was the issue with the gearbox? From everything I read the tip box is almost bulletproof.

Cheers

I have had two Tiptronic cars and
I've never felt I needed a manual.
I've said it before but a tiptronic car driven on the buttons would leave the equivalent engined car with a manual box for dead on a twisty road unless your name is Walter Rohrl.

I believe Terry's car had leaky transfer box gaskets. Its the only real issue with the tip box. They can be repaired in situ by an knowledgeable Indy for a few hundred quid but as OPC don't touch the boxes as they are a Merc part they just replace the whole unit at a cost of £12k or so.

The transfer gaskets tend to fail if the gearbox mount is worn. This places stress on the joint where the transfer box meets the gearbox (usually around the dowel). If the mount is not replaced the new gaskets can end up failing again.

I know this as my car (996 turbo ) has the same gearbox and I've been through something similar a couple of times.

Of course, having an OPC warranty until 2020 means you don't have to worry about such problems.

Terry's car is fabulous in the metal too. Superb example and fastidious owner :thumb:

S444Will said:
T8 said:
The torque of the Turbo means that it is better suited to a Tiptronic or PDK box than any other sports Porsche.

If you're planning on sticking with the best colour I know where there's a really nice one for sale. :)

See --> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=129529&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I keep finding myself going back to have a look at the advert for your turbo, it looks like a cracking example and I like the fact it's under an opc warranty until 2020.
In the service history it mentions that it's had a new gearbox at 50500 and then 59000 miles, what was the issue with the gearbox? From everything I read the tip box is almost bulletproof.

Ragpicker has already answered this but just to add, the first time the oil leak didn't make it as far as the ground. At a free Health Check my OPC pointed out to me that it was misting. I've been told since that at 10years+ old it's a common issue with Tip cars but that it rarely gets worse and most owners don't even know about it. If my car wasn't under warranty I'd never have bothered.

The second time the car had been standing for 2 months (SORN'd over December and January) and when I moved it on February 1st there was a 10p piece sized puddle on the garage floor. As the box had only been in the car 16 months I asked the OPC to sort it.

NB: If they weren't so shiny I'd never have known that new gearboxes had been fitted. The car didn't drive any differently with a 50k one or with one with zero miles on it.

S444Will said:

Major+ (12 year service) is being done at OPC on Thursday 7th March. This will include spark plug and brake fluid change, new 4wd oil, polyrib belt and new MOT.

OPC warranty until 18th February 2020.

The asking price is still £49,995

See -> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132677&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Just my ten pence worth.

I've had a 968 tip then 996 C2 manual then 997 4S manual, I wanted to do exactly what you want and change to a 997 turbo but wanted to go back to a tip, I dont believe I'm a good enough driver to notice the difference between tip and manual.

I tested a lovely 2007 silver turbo manual and it didn't do it for me, especially because it had the same interior as my 2007 4S.
I then hunted down a GEN 1.5 tip, Mezger engine but GEN 2 interior and a tip, to me perfect and love it.
I'm in Leeds and your welcome to come and have a little try, it can be hard to get a test drive :thumbs:
The TURBO is very special!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back