Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best way to get modern sounds??

NickHappy

I love my 997.1 turbo but whilst out for a drive it would be great to access music like we do in 2019 and not faff about with CDs etc.

I'd really welcome some ideas on the most efficient way to incorporate an up to date music system to the car, I've got all my music downloaded to a USB stick and if there is an easy way to put this through the BOSE system please do let me know. It's only an occasional driver for me so reluctant to spend a fortune but I do like quality sounds.

Appreciated as always. :thumb:

NH

Nick,
Does the 997.1 have an Aux port in the armrest? If so this device is a belter for £10. Just plug it in and it creates the BT connection for Spotify etc.
Bluetooth Receiver, SZMDLX... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0767CL99C?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I've been for drives in North Wales where is performed impeccably. I got the recommendationfrom one of the good folk here.

FZP said:
Nick,
Does the 997.1 have an Aux port in the armrest? If so this device is a belter for £10. Just plug it in and it creates the BT connection for Spotify etc.
Bluetooth Receiver, SZMDLX... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0767CL99C?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I've been for drives in North Wales where is performed impeccably. I got the recommendationfrom one of the good folk here.

Many thanks for this FZP - looks just the ticket, I'm pretty sure there is an aux port in the armrest. If so I will give it a go and report back.
Much appreciated

Hi mate
This is what I have
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...+bluetooth&dpPl=1&dpID=41NFVTQe5KL&ref=plSrch
It's about the size of half a pen. I pair it with a Samsung S7 phone and in my BT settings I can choose to have it stream Audio or calls and audio. I have it set to Audio only as I let the PCM Bluetooth handle the calls.

2 points of note with it are:
A. You can't control the phone from your MF for music. If you want to skip a song, it's manual only. I still have normal control of the phone from the MF wheel as I did before.
B. You have to turn the unit back on each time you get in the car if you've been out of it for more than 15mins or so.

Those two compromises were acceptable for me as the resolution for the two points above is 10x the price and required no installation other than plug and play as you would with any BT device.
My playlists are created by me so no need to skip. :grin:
As for the turning on, not that bothered.

It's performed faultlessly over the past 3 months without dropping connections etc. Sound quality is excellent
But for a tenner you can't go wrong
:thumb:

ok thanks for that.

i have a 997.1 will that have Bluetooth and will the pcm be able to handle calls? I have not looked tbh as just thought it was too old to have BT on it.

I'm not familiar with the 997.1 PCM head unit. You'd have to look through your owners manual to see where the BT option is, located in the PCM menu, if It exists at all for call handling.
Drop a note if you discover anything here for others in the future looking for the same.

PCM2.1 in the 997.1 doesnt have bluetooth. It also doesnt have an aux port in the armrest.

The cheapest option is to get a bluetooth to FM device which lets you stream music from your phone thru the OEM head unit. So stuff like google music, spotify, lastfm etc and downloaded music on your phone will work nicely.

Other options would be a mobridge or denison module which plugs into the back of the OEM head unit and adds bluetooth to the OEM unit. This lets you pair your phone and use bluetooth for calls as well as streaming etc. I went with the mobridge option however it is not cheap (£500 or more). But it lets you keep the OEM look if thats important to you.

Alternatively, fit a double din surround and take your pick of aftermarket head units which is probably cheaper than the mobridge/denison plus you get a nice big modern display etc as well as usb/bluetooth and phone mirroring etc.

Many thanks for all your input on these Gents.

My PCM doesn't have an aux port which I can find so it looks like I need an FM receiver - anyone know of a decent recommendation on one of these - ideally something with BT connectivity if there is such a thing??

lex524 said:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Handsfree-Adapter-Porsche-Boxster/dp/B07BR2ZZCY

I'd look at this. Getting my car this week and will probably put one in. Massive amount of info and positive mentions on various forums (including this one!)

Only works if you have a CD changer I think.

Has anyone on here installed this?
i think we'd all appreciate feedback (no pun) from anyone who has

I can't comment on this particular device. I did do some research in 1 of the units that allowed ipod connectivity that disabled the CD changer and allowed the PCM to navigate through the iPod. I always found the PCM quite clunky.

so, In the end, i decided to dump the PCM for a pioneer unit that gives 2019 tech to the 2004 997. SD card slot/Apple Car Play or Android Auto CD/DVD player so i can watch a movie if i get bored in traffic around the M25 :hand:

Very nice unit and looks OEM with the grey fascia.

some pics :thumbs:

Attachments

• img_1698_103.jpg
    img_1698_103.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 1,635
  • image1_687.jpeg
    image1_687.jpeg
    672.4 KB · Views: 1,635
  • image2_151.jpeg
    image2_151.jpeg
    621.7 KB · Views: 1,635
I have a 997.1 Turbo and my local OPC fitted the Aux option in the armrest two days ago. The part number is 997.044.901.70 and I paid £553 all in. I wanted to keep it stock. I haven't had chance to test it yet as I work abroad so that car is safely parked up now. It comes with a cable with the connection for the old iPod so I ordered a bracket to convert the old iPod interface to the newer lightning interface. It also comes with an Aux input.

Before this was fitted I was using a cheap eBay Bluetooth adapter which acts as an FM modulator.

Hope this helps,

I imported a unit from the US.

Basically an Android rip off of a gen 2 stereo. It does everything I need and more. I like it as I can run Waze through it. Relatively simple install and all in less than 500 quid.

Also stripped the switch units for PASM and air con and painted those surrounds to match the new stereo.

1 year on and still very pleased.[/img]

Attachments

• p1_195.jpg
    p1_195.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,551

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back