Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 as a daily

Thanks again for everyone's input. The daily hack arrived at its new home yesterday ready to be put into service!

Having a bit of a detail and some paint protection applied as I type.

Attachments

• img_3898_142.jpg
    img_3898_142.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,089
Health to enjoy orangefender! Looks like a fine example. :thumb:

You lucky chap, your 993 looks just GREAT....

As for rust protection...hmm, galvanised or not they rust from the inside out, which is not always obvious to some, more so if originally registered in Atlantis...!
If exposed to rapid temperature changes condensation can build up inside box sections over a period of time... The idea of filling box sections with goo after it is already rusted can make repair a real pain... No substitute for really getting to know your car inside and out....

The excellent pics of a quality corrosion repair are an education indeed.

Many a wonderful coat of paint can hide all sorts of bodge...

Regardless, any iconic Porsche is definitely well worth whatever you put into it, and hopefully it will repay you in spades. ENJOY :thumb:

Thanks. The theory is that I will be able to run this for similar money if not less than something like a new Golf R when taking into account depreciation etc. but we'll see. For me a 993 is far more desirable option anyway and in that context don't look bad value to me (even if they are more than they used to be).

I am experiencing something of a learning curve getting to grips with driving, I think because of the RS clutch, light wheel etc. Type of footwear seems to be factor. Otherwise hugely enjoying the experience so far. She gives a great sense of speed and makes a lovely sound.

From the original advert that looks like one fine example with some very desirable mods.

Clutch will become second nature once you have a covered some decent miles.

Hope it works out happy :thumbs:

tyinsky said:
From the original advert that looks like one fine example with some very desirable mods.

Clutch will become second nature once you have a covered some decent miles.

Hope it works out happy :thumbs:

Thanks Anthony. Yes i'm sure I will but not sure how my wife will take to it! I'm getting some stalling issues from the flywheel despite the Steve Wong chip. Might be a case of needing to go throught the gears whilst braking but some experimenting still to do.

Ok, so first issue has arisen.

Experience told me to check the car is dry after the rain we've been having and discovered a small puddle in front passenger footwell and luggage compartment. I've been able to clear up easily with a towel and the water is clean suggesting from power hosing rather than rain, but not ideal.

I can see that water is getting into the cabin past the windscreen seal and I found some old threads recommending using a window sealant. Seems a neat solution until such time the windscreen needs replacing - has anyone on here tried?

Could the window seal could also be responsible for the luggage compartment also?

Congrats on the purchase :thumb:

Re all seals it is well worth reconditioning them first as they are expensive.

Google 'gummi pfledge" as its the best product by far for this and only costs c£10 :wink:

Ps if you want some reference to the more OCD 993 must do's see my thread here....

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82158

Pps look into getting Wayne Schofield to custom remap your car rather than the 'Wong" chip, you'll be amazed and have fun at the same time :thumb:

Thanks. I have some in the shed (I've been at this too long!). Agree it's great stuff for keeping seals in good condition - good shout.

Presumably won't help with leaking seals though and I'll also need sealant?

jonttt said:
Congrats on the purchase :thumb:

Re all seals it is well worth reconditioning them first as they are expensive.

Google 'gummi pfledge" as its the best product by far for this and only costs c£10 :wink:

Ps if you want some reference to the more OCD 993 must do's see my thread here....

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82158

Pps look into getting Wayne Schofield to custom remap your car rather than the 'Wong" chip, you'll be amazed and have fun at the same time :thumb:

never heard of gummi before, just ordered some, sounds good.

orangefender said:
Ok, so first issue has arisen.
I can see that water is getting into the cabin past the windscreen seal and I found some old threads recommending using a window sealant. Seems a neat solution until such time the windscreen needs replacing - has anyone on here tried?

Could the window seal could also be responsible for the luggage compartment also?

Not sure where you are located. If anywhere near London then I would recommend Phil the Glassman. He can take the windscreen out, check what's going on behind it, treat any surface rust that's just starting and then replace the windscreen properly.

He did both my front and rear screens when I bought my 993. I was a bit shocked - the front windscreen wasn't even centrally located. No wonder someone had applied loads of silicon filler.

He will check the condition of the seals. Her sent me off to the Porsche warehouse in Reading to pick up a new one (I don't live far away)

orangefender said:
Thanks. I have some in the shed (I've been at this too long!). Agree it's great stuff for keeping seals in good condition - good shout.

Presumably won't help with leaking seals though and I'll also need sealant?

It can help leaking seals ie it reconditions the rubber to make it more supple like new rubber so creates a better water seal. That's more likely to be the cause if its a jet wash causing water ingress so with a try :thumb:

Ps you have too be careful with jet washes in any case as the rubber can always be forced away if enough direct pressure is applied eg to door joints :wink:

Another recommendation for Glassman here.

Congrats on the car, looks lovely!

Thanks. I expect I will be looking for a front end respray in 3 years or so, and plan on having the glass out for that (some very early signs of rust on scuttle). I do however need the car wind and water tight between now and then! I'm in Norfolk so a bit out of the way.

Second issue is the remote locking on the key fob doesn't work. All works perfectly when turning the key in either door and batteries in both remotes seem strong. Is this a common issue by any chance?

from memory yours is a pre vario 993 so probably does not have remote locking, does it have the manual immobiliser ?

The alarm systems to these cars where a retrofit pre delivery by a 3rd party company for Porsche GB (Hamilton and Palmer). The spec of the alarm system changed from manual immobilsor to auto immobilsor & remote locking (I think from memory).

You can retrofit a proven remote locking solution from Tore Bergville......

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products/t-lock-keyless-entry.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back