Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Handbrake shoe springs

IanG1

Started to change out my rear discs today and found the two retaining springs and the short tension spring for the rear handbrake shoes in bits once I removed the disk. Anyone found a source of a full spring kit or individual springs cheaper than what I've just had a quick look at (design911 website)
99635274100 which is the retaining spring at £18,43 each (Need 4)
99735272101 which is the short tension spring at £16.83 each (Need 2)

Almost £120 for 6 springs is a joke, bought complete kits of similar stuff in the past for other cars at fraction of these parts cost?

Any help appreciated on an alternative source

Thanks

I was quite shocked when I order my springs from OPC, I didn't ask for a quote as I assumed they would be cheap, I nearly fell on the floor when he said how much on the day I went to collect.

For the 944 I ordered a kit from ebay that was 10 time cheaper, they are supposed to be a similar kit all the way through the models and generations of cars.

Yes found some that look identical listed for 964/993 at £5 each for retainers and £4.50 each for short tension spring?

Took a punt and got a pair of 964/993 retaining springs and they are no good as they are too short in the piece that hooks into the hole so £10 wasted never mind. Good news is the short tension spring is identical and listed at £20 so thats £15 cheaper. I also took a punt on these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-LT46-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
And turns out both the shoe springs are identical to the OEM. Porsche want £80 for these so bargain at £8. Had to bite the bullet and get the OEM retaining springs though as the ones in this kit were again too short.
Worth buying a set of the above and sticking in your spares stash just in case in the future.

Good info :thumb:

MC

We had the same problem - the rear left shoe retaining springs popped out and got mangled. I blame myself for not ensuring they were properly secured when I changed the shoes a few months ago. They felt secure at the time, but obviously worked loose.

The price for a replacement pair is outrageous, so I bought the set mentioned above by IanG1. As he found, the retaining springs were a little short, but the kit is worth it just for the other springs in the pack.

I discovered these Mercedes W126 springs have a longer "leg" which allows them to be fitted:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12466618...teid=0&campid=&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1
The springs are not quite as substantial as the OEM part, but work just as well. After all, they are only there to keep the shoes square.

I splayed the hook out a little more with pliers and this time I used a mirror to look round the back of the shoe retaining plate to absolutely ensure the hooks were properly through the hole and hooked in place.

Last edited:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back