Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I''m back in a 911!!!.. 996 C2 project begins.

kas750 said:
After blowing hot and cold on this I think I need to scratch the V8 itch so the 911 must go!

When you do get into V8's you'll not look back - especially if its an Italian V8. Larini or Capristo will be in your mind on countless occasions.

coullstar said:
I must be the only petrol head in the world that thinks the V8 is not all that.
Much prefer a 5, 6, 10 or 12 before a V8.
I've never had one though so it's a box I need to tick

Have you got a list of potential makes/models?

kas750 said:
coullstar said:

Fair enough, I have but just didn't think it was all that great. How about a B7 RS4? Suppose to be really good and have pretty much bottomed out. I think you need something different from a sports car as you will just compare it the 911.

coullstar said:
kas750 said:
coullstar said:

Fair enough, I have but just didn't think it was all that great. How about a B7 RS4? Suppose to be really good and have pretty much bottomed out. I think you need something different from a sports car as you will just compare it the 911.
Very true. I'm open to ideas

kas750 said:
alex yates said:
Have you got a list of potential makes/models?
V8 Vantage,still :roll: C63,S4,S5,.. :wack: :?:

Plenty of choice for Vantage with 25 for sale on PH's with price up to £35k

That sub 24k car last week in Preston was a steal.

Still think the Maserati 4200 GT (with manual box) is worth a look. Ferrari 4.2 V8 - what's not to like. Can easily be bagged for under 20k too.

There are very big differences between the Ferrari and Maserati engines. With the F430 and Gran Turismo I think they share the same block, but that is about it. The key defining characteristic of the Ferrari engine for me is the flat plane crank, this is not present in the Maserati version. As such it takes on the more traditional burbling V8 nature rather than the high pitched sound of the Ferrari engine.

MC

MisterCorn said:
As such it takes on the more traditional burbling V8 nature rather than the high pitched sound of the Ferrari engine.

MC

Isn't that what Ady's looking for?

I'm not a fan of the Gran Tourismo - they just look too big and heavy. The 4200 GT is far more nimble and better in the twisties.

MisterCorn said:
There are very big differences between the Ferrari and Maserati engines. With the F430 and Gran Turismo I think they share the same block, but that is about it. The key defining characteristic of the Ferrari engine for me is the flat plane crank, this is not present in the Maserati version. As such it takes on the more traditional burbling V8 nature rather than the high pitched sound of the Ferrari engine.

MC

The Ferrari dna is in the Maser Quatroporte, the 4200 GT, the Gransport, the F430, the ferrari California, and the Ferrai 458.
Ferrari does use a flat plane crank and as you know the difference between it and a cross'plane crank, there is no need to go into the pros and cons of each.

But a cross-plane Gransport is a blueprinted engine, handcassembled by Ferrari and installed into the GS. Matched to a transaxle F1 360 gearbox and F430 F1 electrohydraulic clutch with blips on downshifts, valved exhaust and red-line at 7.5k it ain't half bad for aural stimulation.

The beauty of a Maser or a Ferrari is in the low numbers and rarity value that give a great feeling - and impact on residuals. Italian V8 stuff is different and is like nowt you read from non-owners. Just get a good sorted car from the outset that's been used, driven and maintained with advisories at service being fixed. Larini X or H pipe with back boxes sound awesone. A Granturismo MC Stradale sounds awesome. Just to qualify 'low numbers' means prior to mass-production methods for the GranTurismo introduced in 2007/8. The 4.2 in that is shared with the QP Series V. Plenty of Granturismo cars for sale - especially 4.2 slushbox autos, not as many S cars with the 4.7 engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back