Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cleaning Rads

Grum

New to 997's. Got a gen 2. How do you guys clean the debris that collects at the bottom of the rads/condensers? Tried my trusty Dyson V8, but my nozzle is too short :hand:

My wife has got really skinny long arms so I get her to pick out the debris.
Or you could try a long stick with something soft on the end like an artists paint brush and flick the debris towards the Dyson nozzle. Careful not to damage the radiator veins!

Porkaholic said:
My wife has got really skinny long arms so I get her to pick out the debris.
Or you could try a long stick with something soft on the end like an artists paint brush and flick the debris towards the Dyson nozzle. Careful not to damage the radiator veins!

:thumb:

I use straws cellotaped to the nozzle. Works a treat

It's a bit of a pain but the best way is to take the bumper off. There is a lot of crap that collects out of reach of the ducts (above, below and sandwiched between.)

Worth a deep clean if you don't know when it was last done.

Attachments

• rad_dirty_864.jpg
    rad_dirty_864.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,236
I don't believe you can do it properly without taking the condenser off. Remove bumper and condenser, clean the area, fit grills to bumper.

MC

crevasse tool oh err

Hi

As has been said to do it properly taking the bumper off is the best way but it takes some thought and half a day to get it off clean it all up and put it back on properly.

Some rubbish breaks down and gets pushed between the air con rad and the main rad.

If you want to get most of the crap out then if your Dyson or other vacuum cleaner has a narrow ended crevasse tool you can try that. The front plastic slats are fairly flexible.

Alternatively, cut a bit of rigid garden hose and use some decent duct tape to attach it to a narrow ended vacuum cleaner pipe or attachment. Most of the crap will break down and get sucked out and you can get into the corners etc.

Strongly advise that once done you consider fitting some grills as they stop a lot of crap entering including stones that can pinhole a rad.

Regards
Glen

MisterCorn said:
I don't believe you can do it properly without taking the condenser off. Remove bumper and condenser, clean the area
MC

:agree: Well worth the effort!

Thanks all for the responses. :thumb:

Re: crevasse tool oh err

glenwells said:
Strongly advise that once done you consider fitting some grills as they stop a lot of crap entering including stones that can pinhole a rad.

Regards
Glen

Would love to fit grills but as I understand things, will not be allowed under the approved Porsche Warranty scheme! :dont know:

I laminated some paper at work and used paper clips to reinforce the sheets then made a pipe out of it that fitted into the extension on the Dyson. Worked a treat!

If you are the new owner of the car, best to take the bumper off and give them a proper clean. Just remember to reconnect the little temperature sensor at the front drivers side air duct. I forgot and had to go through the whole process again!

Agree with all the above, take it off and don't forget to separate the radiators to get the crap in between.
In my experience grills are not a complete solution, OK for leaves and large stuff but road dust, stones etc still gets in and over time forms a lump of crud which will cause corrosion. This is really a routine maintenance task and doesnt take long with practice!

Having just bought mine I had a day off today... 2 youtube vids later and I've had the complete front end off and cleared out all ducting and both sets of rads... a soft brush and hoover gently tackled it with no probs... had a good nose round too at pipes and wiring, then also cleared the 4 drain holes either side of the battery in the scuttle
Easy job and took me 2.5 hours combined with a sense that I've probably saved myself £200 at an indie to do the job...
Then fitted my new bonnet struts as mine were lazy and my new induction mod...
A satisfying day....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back