Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

NedHan79 said:
Nice rims. There dosnt seem to be much after market stuff in the way of wheels for the 996.
Is this due to the expense of different sizes front and rear?

As an ex Subaru owner you'll be aware of Bola. I think some of their wheels in Matt bronze would look superb on a 996. They do staggered packages for the 996. Are you brave enough? I'm not sure I am!

I have finished stripping the leather off the first set of interior parts I want to retrim.

MC

Not the most exciting of videos, but if you ever want to strip your instrument binnacle cover on a 996, this is how to do it....

MC

It has been a bit of a slow week as I've been doing some real work. I have continued with the interior retrim. After taking off the pieces of leather I used them to make patterns in thick paper, then used these patterns to make new pieces out of scrap bed sheets. I'm doing this to make sure that the patterns are correct and the parts fit. I would rather find there is a problem on free scrap sheets than £75/m alcantara. The cotton material for the sheets has similar stretch properties to the alcantara.

The bodyshop are still not ready for the car, but I have now got it ready to do the underseal around the engine / gearbox area.

As always with these things it is 5 hours of preparation, 10 minutes to do the job, then an hour or more to remove the coverings. I am planning to leave it to set over the weekend and be in a position to put the suspension and some pipework back on next week. I need to get it back to where the brakes are working.

I have also bought a full set of suspension uprights as I'm working on a modified brake setup to run PCCB disks, 380mm on the front and 350mm on the rear. I think the yellow calipers should look really good with the purple bodywork. Hopefully some more updates on that next week.

MC

Martin thanks for the tip on alcantara. Brilliant! I'm doing some trim pieces myself and you've likely saved me a few hundred quid in waste. Thanks for sharing. Floral pattern and all :thumb:

I'll try to get more done on the floral interior over the weekend.
First trial fit in the brakes. They will fit. I'll need new adapter brackets.

If only I knew somebody who could knock up a couple for me :?:

MC

I second Dammits post.

Dunno why your bothering with the alcantara.....

More floral loveliness.

It isn't stuck on the surface so I can't get it to lie flat. At least it fits though.

MC

+1 on the floral. I'm liking the contradiction of this car with the sweetness and light of the floral interior, and street fighter performance of the car. Brilliant :thumb:

re the calipers .. obviously Alex could make something but my thinking it it needs to be a hard material and not ally .

i would think the spacer needs to be one piece as well .. an extender for the caliper.

My concern would be the shear force on the bolts .. they will need to be longer so the tensile strength would need to be higher than standard ..

But im just guessing here .. not my area of expertise at all im afraid .

Fabric ... again i dont know but is it leather based ? leather and heat make it fit around any object .. that is something ive had to do ... contact glue being the best ive found for bonding things like this .

Start at the center and work out each end .

The spacer will have a pair of bolts to bolt to the upright, then a pair of threaded holes to bolt the caliper to the spacer. The bolt holes on the caliper are a lot further apart than those on the upright.
It will be rather experimental with the alcantara, looking forward to that.

MC

Wheels :thumb:

what brand strud extractor are you using?

By the way I'm thinking to take your thread and convert to PDF for better read it is so cool :worship:
will you use some wax or somthing on all bolts nuts etc?

Underseal applied. Not easy to photograph a very black thing, but here goes...

I'll see if there is a brand on the stud extractor, but it won't be anything fancy.

MC

Stud extractor. Most likely just the cheapest on eBay.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back