Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lsd not working

NedHan79

As per title.

My option codes state that I have 1 but now that I'm using the car in the dryer weather, ive noticed that it's none existent.

Has anyone changed the plates?
Is it a big job?
Any idea on prices for parts?

It's just another thing on the to do list and admittedly at the minute, I'm probably not mature enough to have a nice tight diff :floor:

But I'd like it right.

As usual, all help welcome

How have you tested the LSD?

Tested as in jack it up and spin both wheels?
No. I've had to use it for the last few weeks because I sold my daily but it's going back into the garage over the weekend.

Try a lump of sugar!

Jack up and spin one wheel, other should spin same way if LSD, opposite way if no LSD or really broken, then test the breakaway torque to see how worn it is

How do I do that?
I was going on the butt feel as it's lighting up one wheel very easily in the dry, though cold. In the damp it feels like it's working a treat.

It's been a while since I had an lsd in a rwd but when I was younger I would have given them a fair work out in m3's and the likes.

NedHan79 said:
As per title.

My option codes state that I have 1 but now that I'm using the car in the dryer weather, ive noticed that it's none existent.

Has anyone changed the plates?
Is it a big job?
Any idea on prices for parts?

It's just another thing on the to do list and admittedly at the minute, I'm probably not mature enough to have a nice tight diff :floor:

But I'd like it right.

As usual, all help welcome

Whats the mileage, as LSD's wear out and need replacing as with all parts

e.g. on a GT3 the OEM LSD is only good for 30k km's if youre lucky

Wavetrack is the way forward
https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod21559/Wavetrac--Differential-for-Porsche-996-C2---986-Boxster-S/

The cars on 74k. Full history so I'd say it's sound enough. No sign of the box ever being touched.

I'm not really interested in a new diff if my own just needs plates.
I'm guessing new plates would be available but also uprated plates would be better.

Haven't had a google on it yet. Thought I'd ask on here first

Unfortunately you cannot buy just the clutch plates from Porsche for an M220 LSD, you have to buy a whole new LSD.

Aftermarket plates are available from Guard in the USA, cost to rebuild is circa £1.5k.

That stings a bit. Are the wavetrac ones simply a bolt in job?

Just been having a google. Ive found a crowd called racing diffs that do the clutch packs or single Plates if needs be for what seems to be a reasonable sum.
Absolutely no idea what these would be like but there has to be a solution without spending a fortune.

Breakaway torque is supposed to be around 50ft lbs of torque, to measure it accurately you are supposed to have the diff on the bench and use a torque wrench: if you feel it's working now the wet then it's worth testing it to see if it's in spec, it would be kind of irritating to rebuild it and find it functions the same as before.
I guess you could test breakaway torque in situ but may not be accurate¿?

Atm I find it's spinning 1 wheel a lot quicker than I'd ever expected a 911 would do with the weight over the wheels. I know there's tyres and lack of heat to factor in but it really is bad.
This is gona be way down the list of things to sort but it's always best to be prepared and have a plan, even if you do get side tracked from time to time.

The gearbox will have to come out at some stage for a clutch and rms so it makes sense to do that all at once but there's no panic on that.

If it makes more sense at the time to fit a new diff then that's the way I'll go I suppose. Id like to get the suspension sorted first.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back