Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I need help keeping it up!!!!!!

abcarrera

Silverstone
Sorry for the click bait but made my inner child smile :floor:

On a serious note, the headlights on my car are looking a little yellow and hazy, so I want to give them Some tlc with the DA. My lights have the headlight wash with the chromed plastic dome, what I would like to know is it possible to keep this raised so I can clean under it without fouling the polishing pad on it. Failing that is it straightforward to actually remove the washer part?
Thank you in advance for any advice. :thumb:

Attachments

• 17561c00_911f_40b4_a8aa_5c0d328a0f08_385.jpeg
    17561c00_911f_40b4_a8aa_5c0d328a0f08_385.jpeg
    747.8 KB · Views: 1,965
You will have to remove it as its only the water pressure that raises it .

Your going to get wet here .. have someone operate it .. you grab it in the up position , you can see the locking tab and you use a pick tool to move it out and release the top part .. you can remove just the chrome cover or the jet .. your choice .

Chrome cover and its x2 plastic lugs .. easy to unclip and your best bet for what you want to do .

I removed mine a couple of times.
You can pull the chrome cap up by hand, it's quite stiff but doable.
The chrome cover clips onto the spray jet.

The problem I found was that on the second attempt the chrome part, being aged and brittle, broke the small tabs which clip it into the spray nozzle.

The chrome parts seems not available separately so a complete nozzle at about £37 was my option.
The part diagram is here
https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=3413&MAK=3&MDL=28&SMA=3&SMO=24&ST=bracket&SC=0

Cheers,

Thank you for the advice, I will give that a go, it's always better with two anyway :friends:

Do the lenses need any special coating when they cleaned up? I guess mine just look slightly yellow from 16yrs worth of sun and exposure to the elements.

Thanks again for the help 👍

Are you planning a proper headlight restoration?

I can't imagine a polish would make much of an impression... the yellowed hazed top layer needs to be removed by sanding with gradually finer grades then use the polish. The 3M kit is excellent.

I think you can spray them with lacquer when done. I didn't bother, just used UV glaze. They've not yellowed again but they do scratch easily if you're not careful even when washing.

Robertb said:
Are you planning a proper headlight restoration?

I can't imagine a polish would make much of an impression... the yellowed hazed top layer needs to be removed by sanding with gradually finer grades then use the polish. The 3M kit is excellent.

I think you can spray them with lacquer when done. I didn't bother, just used UV glaze. They've not yellowed again but they do scratch easily if you're not careful even when washing.

Yes I had intended to do the sanding etc, bought a Meguirs headlight product, guessing it just a cutting compound? I will get some of the sealer though. I pretty careful when washin, I had thought of PPPF for them but I don't think that stops the discolouration. But it's taken a lot of years for them to look like this so I hope once restored they will be ok for a few years to come.

Thanks for the advice 😊

Robertb said:

Hi Robert,
What is UV glaze? I tried a google search and got nail polish sealer!?!

thanks
Mike

Hi Tony,
I did do the 3M kit on the car about a year ago. Bit disappointing they've gotten like this so quickly. Good luck! :thumb:

maldren said:
Robertb said:

Hi Robert,
What is UV glaze? I tried a google search and got nail polish sealer!?!

thanks
Mike

I use this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GLASS-POLISH-Surface-Sealant-Repellent/dp/B00A3S1RGU

I've not noticed any deterioration, even on my daily driver which 3M'd a while ago.

EGTE said:
Hi Tony,
I did do the 3M kit on the car about a year ago. Bit disappointing they've gotten like this so quickly. Good luck! :thumb:

Thanks for the update. I will have a chat with the chap who details my wife's car and see what he suggests. It probably due to UV as others have mentioned and possibly just needs a coat of some product to shield it (sunscreen factor 50 😂)
Hope all is well with you and the Evora providing plenty of thrills! Pleased to report your old steed performing perfectly! 👍

Same problem with the Hella headlamps sold in to BMW's of a similar vintage - on my M5 I sanded back 400,800,1200 grit then polished with DA and sprayed with a heavy duty lacquer like this :

Anything else never lasted more than 9-12 months before starting to degrade again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back