Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Giving up on a 996 - I think it's time for an M3

I have a good indy at hand who gives me good advice and by their reckoning, the E9X generation of M3 should be cheaper to run than a 996.

But it's a car that's nearly 10 years newer, so that's not a big surprise. And if I calculate that doing rod bearings as preventive maintenance will cost about 1.5-2k, I'd say that's more reasonable than a full Hartech rebuild. OK, an IMS replacement would set you back about the same, so perhaps it's a moot point.

But from my experience and inspections, in the 16-19k price bracket you'll need to spend 2-3k at the very least to get a 996 up to scratch (one 997 I had checked would have needed closer to 8k) , whereas I doubt it would be that much on an M3.

It's a bit of a 'get in and go' rather than a 'rolling restoration', which I can't afford.

I'm actually looking to get an M3 sedan/saloon and I found it pretty damn quick. Yes, it needed revs, but so does a 996/997.

What it lacks is a sense of occasion. The minute I get into a 996/7 cockpit it feels intimate and 'right', whereas in the M3, you need to hit the loud pedal to remind yourself that it's something special. Although the view with the bulge in the bonnet helps.

That's something I'll have to live with I guess. But it could be worse. I could be driving a diesel :floor:

@CB911 - that sounds like a nice car indeed. And rare with the LSD and TC option.

Boxster red interior is a bit much I admit. In the M3 I'm looking at it's just the seats that are red and in the Porsche, it looks like someone stuck a firecracker in a bucket of paint an lit the fuse.

How much will you be asking for it?

It's got a black steering wheel and genuine Porsche mats which does break up the red and makes the difference. Also has a sunroof.

It's probably going up at £16,950 and I will see how I get on. I can PM a full spec/advert tomorrow if you would like?

Cheers

Where is Boba Fett these days, how comes he's not come into the chat with his yellow Vert?

A very nice chap indeed, he owns a 911 and the Vert so has a good feel for both.

Jackzi said:
I have a good indy at hand who gives me good advice and by their reckoning, the E9X generation of M3 should be cheaper to run than a 996.

But it's a car that's nearly 10 years newer, so that's not a big surprise. And if I calculate that doing rod bearings as preventive maintenance will cost about 1.5-2k, I'd say that's more reasonable than a full Hartech rebuild. OK, an IMS replacement would set you back about the same, so perhaps it's a moot point.

But from my experience and inspections, in the 16-19k price bracket you'll need to spend 2-3k at the very least to get a 996 up to scratch (one 997 I had checked would have needed closer to 8k) , whereas I doubt it would be that much on an M3.

It's a bit of a 'get in and go' rather than a 'rolling restoration', which I can't afford.

I'm actually looking to get an M3 sedan/saloon and I found it pretty damn quick. Yes, it needed revs, but so does a 996/997.

What it lacks is a sense of occasion. The minute I get into a 996/7 cockpit it feels intimate and 'right', whereas in the M3, you need to hit the loud pedal to remind yourself that it's something special. Although the view with the bulge in the bonnet helps.

That's something I'll have to live with I guess. But it could be worse. I could be driving a diesel :floor:

I much prefer the saloon to the coupe. My price range didn't get me into a saloon sadly, if it did I might have stuck with it.

The e90 M3 feels many magnitudes more modern than any 996 i've driven but I also think that contributes to that lack of occasion. Cars just keep getting faster and more competent all the while adding more and more buffers between the mechanical elements, the road, and the driver. Perfect for efficient commuting but sadly lacking when you actually want to drive.

There are loads of them about though so they are definitely the right car for a lot of peoples wants and needs.

PM sent re M3. TY

I've got an E46 M3 SMG and recently purchased a 996 C4S tip.

The e90 m3 underwhelmed me. Whereas the e46 M3 has an absolute peach of an engine..it's a masterpiece.

I couldn't fit into a manual 911 (knee hits steering wheel). But i now looove the tip. I almost didn't buy a 911 cos i couldn't get manual. But i'm really pleased i went for the tip.

Re costs, i spent circa £5k on my M3 over 3yrs. So, TBH you're going to spend on these cars to get them perfect. And i'm now starting to plan my fixes for the 996 and yea, prob going to spend something similar if not more.

My view was that my 911 is 14yrs old. EVERY inspection is going to fail it. How can it not unless it's a £30k 1000 mile car.

I took the view that i wanted to get the colour/options right, and just make sure it's at least acceptable mechanical condition, then over the years i'll slowly but surely get it perfect.

However... if you do it right, there's a fighting chance you'll get a decent % of your money back with appreciation.

M3 is an 'event' when you drive it. And i get excited when i get into the 911.

So, i think BOTH options work! But BOTH will cost you (sorry i mean you'll need to invest ;-) )

pistonheads_zpsxicugk29.png

Had the M3 1.5 years, the pork 6+ years. The M3 has costed more in that time than the 996 has in 3+ years. I see your trouble with the n/a 996, but a turbo engined 996 by the most part is a very reliable thing (it turns out). Servicing is also similar to M car costs (due to no valve clearance adjustments but sparks more difficult to reach)

A friend owns an E92, and in-between actuator failures & rod bearing replacement I find it difficult to see his maintenance costing less than the Turbo

I've got a 996 and a M3 CS (which is for sale). I've also driven the more modern versions, E91 and F31. The newer the model, the quicker they get, but they do loose something; they seem to be more remote, further from the action. For me the E46 is a good compromise for me in terms of feel and looks. Only the E30 M3 will really offer a better feel, but they're expensive and they're seriously lacking in the engine department.

Budget for rod bearings and actuators if you go for the E90.

If you're still set on a 996, I'd go for the turbo, an early 996 3.4 or a rebuilt Hartech car.

The MX5 above is a great car to drive too and cheap to run.

...hmmm, an early 3.4 is likely to be up on miles and has been well documented once the M96 engine passes about 70-80 miles crank bearings etc are likely to be significantly worn...and anything over 100k miles is very worn...

Hartech aren't the only outfit capable of rebuilding these engines...many other garages are rebuilding these motors every day of the week...leaving me to suggest that you seek a turbo or a rebuilt motor by a reputable company and to avoid a high miler if you want to experience the M96 engine at it's best and to avoid the potential very large bill...

It doesn't seem to get mentioned on here, but turbo and GT3 engines can and do fail. When they do the rebuild will probably cost you more than a very nice C2. Baz has suggested preventative rebuilds on M96 engines for some time but many people say he is just scaremongering or looking for business. I agree with him. A well timed rebuild on an early M96 would not be expensive and would give great peace of mind. As the IMS and bore scoring isn't an issue it is really just about the big end and main shells. I would rather buy one where the rest of the car is in great shape and spend £3k on engine work before it is a £9k job.

MC

...which takes us back to; there is no such thing as a cheap 996...

If you want to enjoy the best of what they have to offer you will need to spend and furthermore if you get unlucky as I did and others have then you will need to dig deep into your cash reserves...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back