Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 12
997 : 2004- 69
996 : 1997-2005 31
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 14
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kas750 wrote:
My girlfriend has an R56 Cooper S and I love the drive and the mid range pull is pretty impressive but the ride is truly horrific!
I can't think of another car that I have driven that is so bad over bumps frustrated

Let me guess: big rims and run flats?

My R53 came on 11.5kg 17x7s and Pirelli Euforia run flats. Hateful things. I put them on the local ebay within a few weeks after getting the car, and bought a set of 6.2kg 16x7 OZ Ultraleggera's with proper non run flat tyres.... one of the best mods I ever did to the S. Thumb

Last edited by MaxA on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isysman wrote:
Loved my old R53, didn't want to trade it in when I bought my Boxster. Wish I hadn't. I may well get another in the future, but most likely I would get an R56.

That was a decent project. I've no plans for a BVH, but maybe if I decide to switch to E85 (ethanol) at some point.

In the meantime, I just ordered a Quaife LSD, TTV LWFW and Valeo clutch. It's not slipping yet but I've got the 'chewbacca howl' so it's all getting replaced this spring.

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: 2019 maintenance Reply with quote

I was just looking at my to-do list for the 53.

It seems that, in addition to this year’s package of upgrades (the new clutch, flywheel and LSD), I need to replace my cabin air filter, install my adjustable front top mounts (more camber required for the summer), find some spigot rings for my newly acquired spare set of rims (17x7 Enkei SC15s), dig out some tyres for the Enkei’s (probably the Nitto NT01s in my brother’s shed), source some decent brake pads (I’m thinking Carbotech XP8/AX6) and arrange a brake fluid change.

I’ll also need to source a supercharger service kit in time for the annual service (the charger’s been working harder with the 17% reduction pulley).

This old car’s going to cost more to maintain than the 997 this year.

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody bollocks. £420 for new Carbotech brake pads all round (shipping included). At least I can outbrake pretty much everyone next time out.

But there'll be no money left for the White car this year any more.

Pretzel
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:
Bloody bollocks. £420 for new Carbotech brake pads all round (shipping included). At least I can outbrake pretty much everyone next time out.

But there'll be no money left for the White car this year any more.

Ouch!

Frenchmeister
Barcelona

2004 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought one, electric blue with white roof and chilli pack, love it, let the mods begin ! Very Happy
BMW E46 330i touring M Sport 05 Imola Red 2

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenchmeister wrote:
Just bought one, electric blue with white roof and chilli pack, love it, let the mods begin ! Very Happy

Congratulations! Is it unmodified? Well, even if it is, there's a well trodden path to more power, better stopping and better handling. Go have a look at the project threads on MINI Torque. It's a great resource even if you're just a lurker.

Counter Of Beans
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to do the following to our car (well, my wife is the one that drives it, mainly):
*16 inch wheels, e.g. Oz Ultraleggeras
*R56 S brake conversion, Pagid discs and pads
*Recaro or Sparco front seats
*Polybushed suspension at the front

But then Mrs COB says she's happy with it as it is, and "don't you spend enough on that bloody Porsche anyway?".

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter Of Beans wrote:
I would like to do the following to our car (well, my wife is the one that drives it, mainly):
*16 inch wheels, e.g. Oz Ultraleggeras
*R56 S brake conversion, Pagid discs and pads
*Recaro or Sparco front seats
*Polybushed suspension at the front

But then Mrs COB says she's happy with it as it is, and "don't you spend enough on that bloody Porsche anyway?".

Not a bad plan. Mrs MaxA runs a remapped GTI and doesn't drive the 53.

I'm running 16x7 ET37 Ultralggeras! Super light and plenty of room for brakes.

The R56S brake conversion is sensible and pretty cost effective and the seats could very usefully be improved: the Recaro Sportsters are lovely but over £1k...

I have a fixed back FIA bucket from Sparco, which weighs about 7kg. Maybe too hardcore.

The front wishbone rear bushes usually need replacement (I have super stiff Whitelines with added caster).

But the biggest improvement you can do is swap out the OE suspension to a set of coilovers: nice soft APs for example (they're made by KW) are around £500 from Orranje (there's a little stock left before the price jumps).

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that I'll have time to pick up the dirty MINI tomorrow, as it now has a new organic sprung clutch plate, TTV lightweight single mass flywheel (5.6kg>12kg), and a Quaife ATB LSD (the 2019 package of modifications).

This should improve throttle response (if not engine braking), reduce torque steer and improve traction on the way out of the corners, while retaining drivability.

I had a go in a car with an LSD/LWFW and a four puck competition clutch, and it was like an on-off switch, and took quite a bit of getting used to. Truth be told, I didn't get on with it, it felt like it was destabilising the car, as the drive came back in so abruptly.

adamw
Estoril

2002 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread on the R53 - top work - great fun these cars thumbsup

I too run one as a daily but would really like to have a go on a track day as they are really like a slightly bigger kart Grin
Never done any track days at all so would need a novice session and I’d prefer to take this out than risk damaging the 911.

Shameless pic :

EX : 95' 993 C4 Coupe ( Dec 10 - Oct 16 )
EX : 00' 996 C2 Cab ( Jul 09 - Oct 10 )
EX : 03' 986 Boxster S ( May 06 - Dec 08 )

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, they are great fun on the track, but it is a bit too easy to overwhelm the standard brakes: the R56S kit with decent pads and lines is a good start. Iäd get out there anyway, and enjoy yourself. These are ideal on the track, so much clarity and confidence about what's going on at all four corners.

Anyway, I've now got the 53 back with the new uprated - but still organic - clutch, and it is a joy, nice and light but a very positive engagement. The flywheel makes a massive difference to engine response: it revs to 2500rpm on start up, and really zings. It forces you to drive well, to plan and execute your gearchanges properly (it's way too easy with the stock dual-mass flywheel, you can get all sloppy and it indulges you). And finally the new LSD: now that really bites hard. None of this crappy wheel spin and torque steer anymore.

I suppose, as with all good mods, I should have done this lot before. This is however going to be a good season. bye

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend, we'll be working on set up: I'm planning to fit adjustable top front mounts from Vorshlag to add a bit more camber to the front end. I have KAVS adjustable rear camber arms at the rear already.

I did have some cheapo adjustable top mounts on the front but they added 10mm to the ride height (and thus compromised spring travel as I had to wind down the Bilsteins) and then the bushes started failing and they knocked all the time. Buy cheap, buy twice.

They came off when I added the Öhlins, but the Öhlins come with fixed camber plates... it's a never ending circle.
Grin

Y2K
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic Max, but have you been to / done a track day at Arctic Circle Raceway?

I have driven to Norway (and Sweden) before but only as far as Oslo; inspired by my friend who drove all the way to arctic circle in a CSL, I’d like to drive to arctic circle one day plus a track day at ACR in my GT3.

rabbitstew
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought one of these, a 2003 R53 Cooper S to mess about with. The wife bought a gen 2 Cooper Convertible a few weeks back and after using it for a week myself I thought ive got to get one. I had a look around, test drove a few and ended up finding a cheap one needing some love locally.

Mine had been sitting for a while, but came with full MOT. In just 1 week I have already done:

Air Filter, Pollen Filter, Oil & Oil Filter, New cooler plugs, new radiator, new header tank, 15% pulley, dave.f airfilter mod with k&n, new ancillary belt, new rear brake discs & pads, r56 bigger disc & calipers upfront, hel brake lines, brake fluid change, coolant change, silicon coolant hoses, new battery, removed supercharger and changed oil in it, new waterpump, new 1320 BPV and repainted various bits of bodywork.

Luckily I have a ramp in my garage and can do it all myself. So far everything has been really straight forward and there are plenty of guides online.

It already came with a sports exhaust & new tyres.

Hopefully should have it finished by the end of the week then can actually drive it. Ive only done 2 miles in it so far. Laughing
1994 Kawasaki ZXR750L2

Last edited by rabbitstew on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y2K wrote:
Off topic Max, but have you been to / done a track day at Arctic Circle Raceway?

I have driven to Norway (and Sweden) before but only as far as Oslo; inspired by my friend who drove all the way to arctic circle in a CSL, I’d like to drive to arctic circle one day plus a track day at ACR in my GT3.

Nope. That's a very long way away. I have done Alastaro, Ahvenisto, Botniaring and Pesämäki in Finland and Årlanda and Knutstorp in Sweden. So far...

Norway's nice but there are so few roads, and such low limits. Can be frustrating trying to overtake 14 caravans at once. That being said, I do want to drive the Trollstigen.

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbitstew wrote:
I've just bought one of these, a 2003 R53 Cooper S to mess about with. The wife bought a gen 2 cooper convertible a few weeks back and after using it for a week myself I thought ive got to get one. I had a look around, test drove a few and ended up finding a cheap one needing some love locally.

Mine had been sitting for a while, but came with full MOT. In just 1 week I have already done:

Air Filter, Pollen Filter, Oil & Oil Filter, New cooler plugs, new radiator, 15% pulley, dave.f airfilter mod with k&n, new ancillary belt, new rear brake discs & pads, r56 bigger disc & calipers upfront, hel brake lines, brake fluid change, coolant change, silicon coolant hoses, new battery, removed supercharger and changed oil in it, new waterpump, new 1320 BPV and repainted various bits of bodywork.

Luckily I have a ramp in my garage and can do it all myself. So far everything has been really straight forward and there are plenty of guides online.

It already came with a sports exhaust & new tyres.

Hopefully should have it finished by the end of the week then can actually drive it. Ive only done 2 miles in it so far. Laughing

Good work! In terms of preventative maintenance, you could also do the fuel filter and gearbox oil. And rear wishbone bushes. I so want a lift at home...

And in terms of next steps, you'll be wanting a bigger intercooler and either 380cc JCW or Bosch 550cc injectors as your 15% reduction pulley will take the standard 330cc injectors over 100% cycle duty at 7000rpm (creating too much heat). As such, a longer 4-1 or 4-2-1 manifold also helps a great deal.

Apart from that, get out and drive!

rabbitstew
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:

Good work! In terms of preventative maintenance, you could also do the fuel filter and gearbox oil. And rear wishbone bushes. I so want a lift at home...

And in terms of next steps, you'll be wanting a bigger intercooler and either 380cc JCW or Bosch 550cc injectors as your 15% reduction pulley will take the standard 330cc injectors over 100% cycle duty at 7000rpm (creating too much heat). As such, a longer 4-1 or 4-2-1 manifold also helps a great deal.

Apart from that, get out and drive!

Yeah ive done the gearbox oil. Nice easy job and the old stuff was horrendous. It improved the sticky gear movement no end!

Fuel filter is on the list. Where is it? In the tank?

I was looking at intercoolers and the big name ones are around £400, but there is the potential for a hobo £90 one with some modding - which sounds more appealing financially - when I only paid a grand for the whole car. I drive past 1320mini every day and they reckoned the stock intercooler is fine for road use even with a 17% pulley. But, I will see once I start driving it.

I am planning to get it on the dyno once its all back together to check fueling and all that. Be interesting to see what power it makes.

All in all its a great little project, hopefully I will have it finished by end of the weekend! Although once I start driving it it will become clear if I need to replace the ageing suspension. I can see I need to sort out one mushroomed strut tower already......
1994 Kawasaki ZXR750L2

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbitstew wrote:

Yeah ive done the gearbox oil. Nice easy job and the old stuff was horrendous. It improved the sticky gear movement no end!

I was looking at intercoolers and the big name ones are around £400, but there is the potential for a hobo £90 one with some modding - which sounds more appealing financially - when I only paid a grand for the whole car. I drive past 1320mini every day and they reckoned the stock intercooler is fine for road use even with a 17% pulley. But, I will see once I start driving it.

I am planning to get it on the dyno once its all back together to check fueling and all that. Be interesting to see what power it makes.

All in all its a great little project, hopefully I will have it finished by end of the weekend! Although once I start driving it it will become clear if I need to replace the ageing suspension. I can see I need to sort out one mushroomed strut tower already......

Ah, great, I don't know how they can call it 'lifetime oil' in the gearbox. The fuel filter is underneath an inspection panel under the rear bench, on the passenger side (in my LHD car).

If you have access to 1320 you're sorted. I ran a year or so without the bigger 'cooler, but even a hobo would help keep IATs under control (as long as there are no boot leaks). You can bash the strut tops back into place. There are solutions from Cravenspeed or M7, but you may prefer to save the funds for decent suspension - always a good idea on a 53 which rides like a skateboard...

rabbitstew
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:
rabbitstew wrote:

Ah, great, I don't know how they can call it 'lifetime oil' in the gearbox. The fuel filter is underneath an inspection panel under the rear bench, on the passenger side (in my LHD car).

If you have access to 1320 you're sorted. I ran a year or so without the bigger 'cooler, but even a hobo would help keep IATs under control (as long as there are no boot leaks). You can bash the strut tops back into place. There are solutions from Cravenspeed or M7, but you may prefer to save the funds for decent suspension - always a good idea on a 53 which rides like a skateboard...

Good stuff, I saw that there was 2 inspection panels under the rear seat, so I will take a look. Looks like coil overs are cheap enough, so will check them out at some stage, if im taking a strut out to replace a bent top mount then might kill 2 birds with one stone. Bit wary that im already spending more than the cars worth on bits, but should be a fun car to mess about in.
1994 Kawasaki ZXR750L2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: