Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne 955 V6 correct engine oil

Cayenne74

I'm sure it's been asked before and apologies in advance but what is the recommended oil to be used for a 2006 Cayenne running the 3.2 V6 engine. I know Mobil 1 is preferred but when you search a couple of different viscosities are highlighted, namely 0W-40 or 5W-30. Generally it seems to be 5W-30 but it would be good to get peoples thoughts. Thanks

Recommend you check out Opie Oils' website: www.opieoils.co.uk

A quick check shows that 5W30 would be the preferred viscocity for engine oil.

Thanks, thought that was the case but so much conflicting info on the web!

Cayenne74 said:
I'm sure it's been asked before and apologies in advance but what is the recommended oil to be used for a 2006 Cayenne running the 3.2 V6 engine. I know Mobil 1 is preferred but when you search a couple of different viscosities are highlighted, namely 0W-40 or 5W-30. Generally it seems to be 5W-30 but it would be good to get peoples thoughts. Thanks

1st place to check is check is always the owners manual

Well, when I bought the car in November last year it was due in a service in December so I bought all the filters and oil as I wanted to use Mann/Mobil products. After searching online it pointed me to Mobil 1 0W-40 so I bought that. The garage doing the service then called me to say I'd bought the wrong oil and it should be 5W-30 but given I'd spent about £100 on the oil and the info I found I told them to just put it in. I do very short journeys and low mileage so was going to do another oil and filter change in the next couple of months (6 months under 5000 miles) which brought me back to here as when searching again 5W-30 is what is being thrown up. It would seem from your advice that using Mobil 1 0W-40 wouldn't be detrimental to the engine. Prior to my ownership the car has a full service history from Porsche and Northway Porsche and on lots of the old service receipts it stares Mobil 1 0W-40 which is why I then went with it. Plus the fact I have 3l sitting in my garage so only need to buy another 5l for the next change! :thumb:

All i can say is this this .. when i was at OPC then anything non deisel was 0/40 .. and diesel was 5/30 .

Im at an Indy now and i do the same .

Other garage ... they are telling you what they think .. all i can say is what i do ... no way i can say who is right but ive continued what OPC said onto an indy .

Some model cars and we switch to 5/40 but thats dependant on milage and what the car is.

At the risk of incurreing wrath .. oil is oil .. its the hot/ cold temp that might make a difference and that is dependant on countrys .. here we have a mild climate so 5/30 might be ok .. .. its not something i would use though .

That's great, thanks. I value your opinion given your knowledge and experience. It was worth its weight in gold when I browsed on here prior to buying my Cayenne and continues to help me now!!! Cheers

Oh, slight topic change but whilst we are talking about preferences what coil packs would be the preference for the V6? OEM Porsche, Beru and Bosch seem to be the 3 favs on the Design911

Im a Porsche man and always recomend Porsche parts .. But Bosch and beru do tend to be a prefered partner of Porsche shall we say ... either will do.

Coil packs dont tend to fail on the V6 unlike the V8 models .. you do tend to get rust on the base of them if the car has had its engine washed previously though .. no idea why people do that but it can and does enter the plug tubes .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back