Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Removing wheel centre caps advice

peterzoom

Spa-Francorchamps
I spotted this sage and well thought out "solution" to often asked question of how to get the centre caps out from the road wheels.

Rather than go with the small Allen key or bent wire option this chap has a very unique take on just how it should be done.....

Remove the wheel. Deflate the tire. Then rent a large commercial freezer. Put the wheel in the freezer overnight. This will cause the metal to contract from the plastic center cap. Wait 24 hours. Then, go to home depot and purchase a 36" long 2x4. Return home. Remove the wheel from the freezer. Be careful, it will be very cold. Gently lay it on the ground facing down. You should see the back of the center cap. Then, place you index finger on the center cap. Hand the 2x4 to your wife. Then, ask her to wack you hard in the head. Booooom! Out pops the center cap. Problem solved.

I like his style, seems obvious now :floor: :floor: :floor:

With the wheel being on the outside of the cap, and the cap being plastic, I would expect this method to cause problems. The wheel would actually contract around the plastic and the cap would go brittle. Gently warming the wheel to around 50 degrees C would probably be better. It would expand the wheel and keep the plastic soft without risk of melting it. Then carry on from laying it on the ground onwards.

MC

If I ever mess with anything plastic and wary of breaking it, I also warm up 1st with the trusty hair dryer just to soften it up a bit and avoid any breakages.

No need to take it so seriously guy's :grin:

I think it was a joke :floor:

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikekean
Back