Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Marky, a question if I may..,

Given your OCD like attention to detail, do you feel that you would be able to live with a well used, gravel rashed, modified GT3?

Or shortly after purchase could you see yourself looking to tip money into it, to get it to the standard of your C2?

crash7 said:
Marky, a question if I may..,

Given your OCD like attention to detail, do you feel that you would be able to live with a well used, gravel rashed, modified GT3?

Or shortly after purchase could you see yourself looking to tip money into it, to get it to the standard of your C2?

I'd ask the same question. :?:

Haha, cheers for the face-palm Raggy.

Good point lads and a fair one too.

When I bought the C2 I had my doubts as to whether I'd be satisfied coming from a GT3, albeit a few years later, but I was hellbent on getting back into a 911.
At the start I wasn't but figured it was the plain looks, so I began 'GT3'ing" it. That's the most work I've done to any car in my 24 years of driving.

What I ended up with was a cracking car but after all that it still lacked the last 5% of the experience I wanted, which I've said before is the 'zingy, pull on the heartstrings" bit.

I was going to bear with it, make some memories and use it loads so it became like a favourite old pair of jeans but then I had the realisation of 'This is the best this car will ever be, it will only get tattier again from this point".

So essentially I'd backed myself into a corner by making it so clean. :roll:

That was the nail in the coffin I think coupled with a wandering eye.

So really good questions as to whether I can live with a tatty stone chipped car.
No I can't in all honesty. I hate it when you pull up to see someone or some mates and there's always one smart ar$e who'll go 'Ooh bit rough around that bit isn't it?!".
Plus for my OCD I like a mint car.

...but I have just learnt that you can only do that if you then don't use it.
I'm sure a full car PPF would have minimised any further paint niggles but it's big money.

So I am going to get something to just use, hopefully for years and years, but I've said that since I was 17. Back then it was to my parents, now it's to my wife.
'If I can just get into this one I'll never want another one!" :grin:

In hindsight I should have stopped at my 964T. Gorgeous looks, 380bhp, so quick and dynamic enough yet completely comfy for Euro tours, I loved it, the wife loved it.
I had it when I met my wife, I did Lemans in it with the lads etc etc.

... but unfortunately for yours truly, that train has sailed.

- bit of Austin Powers for you there. :D

So we'll see what happens. No rush but I'm about to do one of the best trips of my life in the summer, so I'd really like a car that will begin its story with me, on that trip and that will stay with me after, so it has to be what I really want, but is there such a car in budget. :?:

Raggy, regarding the GT3 being no quicker a C2 is 290-300hp. Mk1 GT3 is 360 bit generally accepted as a touch less, approximately 355.

Mk2 GT3 rated at 381 but generally up a touch according to the likes of EVO etc back in the day.
You notice 90hp especially when it's 'that" engine screaming behind you.

I love Cayman RS for their ability but they're a bit ugly from the back.
GT4, god yes. Cayman R, hmm, it just doesn't hit the spot.

Hence if its 987 which it has to be as 981 is out of budget, then it has to be a Spyder.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. It's good for the soul searching and weighing up of everything.
I think I may have had a rush of blood to the head. :grin:

Long hours on night shifts has you acting impulsively sometimes.
My old nightshift boss (I have his role now) used to always flip on a Wednesday and lose his rag. We used to take the pi$$ and say he was having a mid-week melt down. :D

Well I think I may have had one of those and acted in haste with the C2 sale.
Uh-oh. :dont know: :wink:

I know what you mean.For me the thrill is in the chase and boredom soon sets in with cars and I just feel the need for another car plus I think I'm wired a bit tight too :mrgreen:

Hey Marky, I was only pulling your chain a bit. I was just trying to make the point that moving from a mint GT3-esque 996 into a gravel-rashed 996 GT3 (which needs much more money to get into and then more money to put to the standard you like) will have people searching around for Marky's lost marbles!

I get that 'last 5%' bit though....

Its a petrolheads curse though isn't it - always another car to lust after just around the corner.

I didn't realise the Mk2 GT3 had so much power actually, thought they were all in/around the mid 300's. Plus the power will be in that 7-8krpm range I imagine..

Never been a fan of the 87 Spyder personally, love the 981 Spyder. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks though, the only thing that matters is whether you like it.

Good luck with the search!

:thumb:

Marky911 said:
Haha, cheers for the face-palm Raggy.

Good point lads and a fair one too.

When I bought the C2 I had my doubts as to whether I'd be satisfied coming from a GT3, albeit a few years later, but I was hellbent on getting back into a 911.
At the start I wasn't but figured it was the plain looks, so I began 'GT3'ing" it. That's the most work I've done to any car in my 24 years of driving.

What I ended up with was a cracking car but after all that it still lacked the last 5% of the experience I wanted, which I've said before is the 'zingy, pull on the heartstrings" bit.

I was going to bear with it, make some memories and use it loads so it became like a favourite old pair of jeans but then I had the realisation of 'This is the best this car will ever be, it will only get tattier again from this point".

So essentially I'd backed myself into a corner by making it so clean. :roll:

That was the nail in the coffin I think coupled with a wandering eye.

So really good questions as to whether I can live with a tatty stone chipped car.
No I can't in all honesty. I hate it when you pull up to see someone or some mates and there's always one smart ar$e who'll go 'Ooh bit rough around that bit isn't it?!".
Plus for my OCD I like a mint car.

...but I have just learnt that you can only do that if you then don't use it.
I'm sure a full car PPF would have minimised any further paint niggles but it's big money.

So I am going to get something to just use, hopefully for years and years, but I've said that since I was 17. Back then it was to my parents, now it's to my wife.
'If I can just get into this one I'll never want another one!" :grin:

In hindsight I should have stopped at my 964T. Gorgeous looks, 380bhp, so quick and dynamic enough yet completely comfy for Euro tours, I loved it, the wife loved it.
I had it when I met my wife, I did Lemans in it with the lads etc etc.

... but unfortunately for yours truly, that train has sailed.

- bit of Austin Powers for you there. :D

So we'll see what happens. No rush but I'm about to do one of the best trips of my life in the summer, so I'd really like a car that will begin its story with me, on that trip and that will stay with me after, so it has to be what I really want, but is there such a car in budget. :?:

Raggy, regarding the GT3 being no quicker a C2 is 290-300hp. Mk1 GT3 is 360 bit generally accepted as a touch less, approximately 355.

Mk2 GT3 rated at 381 but generally up a touch according to the likes of EVO etc back in the day.
You notice 90hp especially when it's 'that" engine screaming behind you.

I love Cayman RS for their ability but they're a bit ugly from the back.
GT4, god yes. Cayman R, hmm, it just doesn't hit the spot.

Hence if its 987 which it has to be as 981 is out of budget, then it has to be a Spyder.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. It's good for the soul searching and weighing up of everything.
I think I may have had a rush of blood to the head. :grin:

Long hours on night shifts has you acting impulsively sometimes.
My old nightshift boss (I have his role now) used to always flip on a Wednesday and lose his rag. We used to take the pi$$ and say he was having a mid-week melt down. :D

Well I think I may have had one of those and acted in haste with the C2 sale.
Uh-oh. :dont know: :wink:

https://youtu.be/JhnpBx6gfk0?t=26

:grin:

It's true, the increase in hp over a standard C2 is "only" 55hp in a Mk1 GT3, but as we both know, it's the manner in which that additional 55hp is delivered Mark...

The Mezger lump sprints to the redline, whereas the C2 canters there by way of comparison.

Chuck a decent set of manifolds/cats and exhaust system, along with a map and a CS flywheel onto a MK1, and it'll sound waaaay better than any Mk2 and rev just as quickly to the raised redline as the later car....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3J8HeIfJwc

And my own (not as impressive) take on the superb roads of welsh Wales :

https://youtu.be/PeHWqBAt_rk?t=246

And the only way you'll make a Mk2 996 GT3 sound like this at idle is to disconnect a couple of coil packs ... :

https://youtu.be/PeHWqBAt_rk?t=316

:mrgreen:

And for what it's worth Mark, I think you've made the right decision in not pursuing the Silver '3 at the TSR. There you are, I've said it :thumb:

I know that matey. :thumb:
I've been receiving lots of face-palms this week. Mainly from the wife. :grin:

The pint you made was completely valid. I'm being blinded by the new car buzz as Ady mentions. That's the phase where I'm at my most dangerous. :grin:

I'm willing to overlook a lot for the next greatest car, but once I've got it I embark on sorting it all out.

987 isn't a patch on 981 looks wise. 981 is a real looker. I was discussing this with my mate on Friday night. He's had both Spyders.

Ady, this is it, I've been very sensible for 5 years due to my house. Now I'm free as it's finished so I'm back to my old self. :D

I know one thing. Whatever I buy I'll wish I'd bought the other one 6 months later. :wink:

Hi Henry I was replying to Raggy while you posted there.

:grin:
Austin powers. I thought that's was great back in the day.

Yes I think the S-car Rooms one is off the table now. I would still have it but not when the last guy paid £49,995 back when the market was stronger.

With a £50k ish budget though it's the only way I'll get back into one.
It's straight, original panels but obviously not mint.

Obviously I'd love a mk1 but that's not gonna happen. :nooo:

That does sound good though. :D

Thanks for the help throughout this, as ever and the offer to view it. :thumb:

Air cooled

Marky I think you should wait on a nice 964/993 comes along that you can make your own. I think there will be cars come along that are a better buy than the RPR626 one that you thought of! £50k should go a long way!

Dammit said:
FWIW I suspect the Supercar room may well regret not meeting you halfway.

They are SOR sellers mostly so I am sure they are not that bothered.

Hi Stich, the trouble is they aren't that quick anymore (not a huge issue as I'm not a straight line hero) and they'll cost a lot to make drive as good as my C2.

Again my 964T had both bases covered. Although maybe not the latter as my 996 was very sharp.

I think they should have taken my offer Neil, but I would say that.
I could probably track down the owner (even indirectly through the dealer that sold them it in 2014) and offer £48k for a private sale.
I'm worried about dried out oil seals though. Rightly or wrongly.

I think it'll sit around for a while now.

So I've always had a strange urge for one of these. I don't expect it to get much love on a Porsche forum and I've no idea what they're like for problems and reliability but they have a BMW engine and I love the looks. Even the face only a mother could love.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/morgan/aero-8/morgan-aero-aero-8/9174337

That's tonights nightshift reading sorted then. :wink:

Edit - There's one right near me at Hexham Horseless Carriages.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...8/marvellous-moggy-2001-morgan-aero-8/8915368

I might go and have a look tomorrow as I've said I'll take my wife out as I'm away all weekend.
She'll love that after all the commotion last weekend. :grin:

I wouldn't buy it as it's almost 3 times the miles of the one above and the interior is way more drab.

Marky911 said:
987 isn't a patch on 981 looks wise. 981 is a real looker. I was discussing this with my mate on Friday night. He's had both Spyders.

I think you are doing the 987 spyder an injustice. It has more curvier looks and is less aggressive looking than the 981 spyder.
The 987 variant will become the classic, the roof is a work of art and looks great without the rear section in just floating on the top.
Also if you take the time to read the spyder threads on pistonheads and pcgb the majority of the owners who have owned both at the same time have now sold their 981 but kept hold of the 987 for the more analogue drive.

Yes I know i own the 987 but when I go to shows its my 987 spyder that gets most attention not the 981's.

https://youtu.be/TpdiPw_y5nw

*981 spyder PSE is amazing though!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back