Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 GT3 Collection and first impressions

askgeez

Further to my earlier "car incoming" thread, thought I would post my very early impressions .....

Collection
Didn't really sleep much the night before, and had been out for a family birthday at the pub, but had a 7:30am start to get up to Rennsport 2.5 hours away.

My good friend Gary, agreed to take me up there in his fabulous 997.1.5 GT2 clubsport. He didn't hang about :lol: , and roads were empty. Early damp and grey conditions cleared as we came over the Chilterns on M40, and by the time we arrived, it was blue sky and dry.

There is a big roller shutter on the ground floor, and the dealer heard us coming (that'll be the Kline Inconel exhaust :grin: ), he came out and gave us a warm welcome , invited us to go through the door,....

Walked in, and literally the biggest grin broke out on my face, think i actually put my hand over my mouth :yahoo: Gary gave me a good old slap on the back "Well done Geez!"

It's a ten year old car, yet it is incredibly nice condition. Clean Carrara white paintwork is unmarked. Centrelock wheels, in my favourite colour of satin platinum (previously sprayed a set on my old 4s the same). The stance, lower than my previous two , that wing, centre exhaust, PCCBs ..... just awesome thing to look at.

Interior is unmarked , oodles of carbon (£4k worth on the 2009 invoice 1), very nice place to sit.

I'd already paid for the car once the 111 point check came back clean, so literally just had a coffee , pit stop, and taxed it online.

He started it up, pulled it out front for the obligatory photo (see my instagram @askgeez :grin: )

Drive home

Well , these are early days, so just initial thoughts...

Beautiful drive home in convoy, through cotswolds in the sunshine was a delight, i was grinning like an idiot , and actually had a tear in my eye at one point.

Ride is surprisingly good, I was expecting significantly harder than GTS, but its actually comfortable. Ive now transferred my DSC controller over, so will be even better.

:drive: Steering is light, and very "pointy" , drove round some sweeping bends, and it just goes exactly where you want.

:lightening: Noise... in my excitement, I hadn't pressed "Sport", assumed the exhaust was unswitched on a GT3, but at 4k revs, really feel the valves open, and its a much deeper bellow than either my gen1 c4s (PSE and CAI), or GTS (PSE and XPipe). Woke a few people up in he tunnel on M25 / A10 , with the pair of us :floor:

:driving: Gears !! I did like my C4s, and I also enjoyed PDK in the GTS, the kick down in particular made for very brisk progress when you wanted it. Sport Plus hooligan mode wasn't used that much, but was fun, and generated plenty of noise. But now I'm back in a manual , I do appreciate driving the car, and only yesterday I think i know why... PDK makes you lazy, because its a torquey engine, I tended to switch off, and not concentrate on gears, doesn't matter whether you're speeding up or slowing down , I left in auto. Yesterday, I almost stalled, as I sort of forgot I had a third pedal when i slowed up.

:judge: Speed.. No doubt about it, its a rapid car, but lets be honest no 911 is slow. Its not hyper fast like the Gt2, and bearing in mind I haven't wrung its neck to the 8k :bandit: redline, Its definitely a car to respect , and I'm looking forward to more miles to explore that.

Going through the paperwork, the ONE LADY owner may have been a little OCD, as every single service was done at OPC Reading. Book all stamped up, serviced, brake fluid changes, bodywork condition reports etc , old MOTs, Full book pack...

Mileage a whisker over 19k miles. PCCBs, Comfort Spec, Axle Lift, Carbon packs, Crested headrests , Sport Chrono, yellow dials and seatbelts, Projector type headlights, tyres all 6.5mm

(pictures to follow!!)

Attachments

• 29bc1f8e_24a6_43dd_bf30_77cc14eacbce_259.jpg
    29bc1f8e_24a6_43dd_bf30_77cc14eacbce_259.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 6,674
Wow, great write up, congratulations, inspiring stuff :thumb:

I've been looking forward to this post. Congrats :thumb: I've had to follow on IG

Big Grin.

So turns out that John Holland (an established dealer in Sheffield), only opened their operation at Rennsport this week. I was their very first customer , and this was their first handover !

Attachments

• img_2156_198.jpg
    img_2156_198.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 6,642
Odometer had an interesting sequence...

Attachments

• img_2163_175.jpg
    img_2163_175.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6,623
Garys GT2 makes mine look a little plain, thinking I may have to spice the GT3 up a little :grin:

Attachments

• gt2_and_gt3_164.jpg
    gt2_and_gt3_164.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 6,587
My Dad said he gave me a three letter name, as it would look good on a number plate :grin:

Rather than change by deed poll to Trevor, or "FLJ", "GT59 GUY" going on when V5 is back :thumb:

Attachments

• img_2159_168.jpg
    img_2159_168.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 6,587
:thumbs:

Top stuff Guy, pleased for you.

pzero said:
:thumbs:

Top stuff Guy, pleased for you.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Great write up, and lovely looking car - congratulations!
I popped into Rennsport/John Holland while at the PCGB Open Haus event on Saturday, had some great cars in there.... The guys from JH were over in the PCGB clubhouse pulling punters over!

Enjoy

mangobay said:
Great write up, and lovely looking car - congratulations!
I popped into Rennsport/John Holland while at the PCGB Open Haus event on Saturday, had some great cars in there.... The guys from JH were over in the PCGB clubhouse pulling punters over!

Enjoy

I picked up Saturday morning at 10am, just as the open day was starting.
Shame my car had left JH that day, as I bet they would have liked it there to pique some interest from potential punters .

Was a bit frustrating that I didn't have the time to call into PCGB HQ, would have probably bumped into some familiar faces, and I wanted some new window stickers :grin:

We needed to get back to watch the North London Derby at 12:30pm, I'm spurs , Gary's a gooner . In the event, an awful match , should have taken longer at Moreton-in-Marsh.

Great post and photos, congrats on a top quality purchase. I look forward to reading more as you get to know the car - enjoy!

I want one. Also in Carrara White, so nobody notices the upgrade. Lovely.

Mega congrats on a super looking GT. Thanks for sharing the experience. ENJOY :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back