Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 and boxster front upright differences

MisterCorn

I am looking at buying some more front uprights for some mods I am planning. I have seen 986 boxster and 996 uprights advertised. I can see that the boxster ones are also used on the rear of the boxster so have a hole for the handbrake cable, but otherwise are they functionally the same?

There seem to be a whole load of different part numbers available and no information on what the differences are.

Any ideas?

MC

The 996 and the 986 Boxster are supposedly the same up until the A pillar, but looking at the parts lists there are loads of different uprights for some reason, might be worth calling your parts guy at OPC Nottingham :dont know:

I presume there will be different damping rates because of the difference in weight distribution.

It is just the uprights I am interested in. The alloy part which holds the wheel bearing and links the steering arm, shock absorber and brake caliper. Not the shock absorber itself.

I did wonder about different caliper bolt spacing?

MC

MisterCorn said:
It is just the uprights I am interested in. The alloy part which holds the wheel bearing and links the steering arm, shock absorber and brake caliper. Not the shock absorber itself.

I did wonder about different caliper bolt spacing?

MC

The parts lists refer to it as the "wheel carrier" and it looks like it depends on options fitted to the car :sad:

The wheel carrier is the same on the Boxster as the 996 C2 front.

The rear suspension on the boxster is essentially a mirror image of the front (unlike on the 996 where the rear is completely different to the front) and you can use a front carrier on the rear but you may need to drill holes to attach brackets etc.

Essentially, the only difference between any of them is whether certain mouldings/blanks have been tapped and whether they are L/R

The wheel bearing itself has had many revisions. I recently had my turbo's wheel bearing changed and its now a 991 part.

Hope thats of some help :thumb:

That is superb, I hoped that would be the case but didn't want to buy some uprights to find that the brake caliper mounts or steering arms were different.
I shall continue with my cunning plan for a brake upgrade.

:thumb:

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back