Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Radiator fan bearing

ragpicker

Portimao
Now then!

Just wondering if anyone has managed to source a new fan bearing (or the whole centre/motor assembly) for the radiator fans on the 996?

One of mine on my turbo is noisy and I would like to replace it without having to replace the whole fan unit if possible.

Any ideas?

This is the bit I'm after:
47236969842_3641d97527_k.jpg

Cheers

Do Porsche/OPC or Design911 not sell them....??

Osh

Have you tried taking it apart to see the actual bearing and whether you can get it out. Bearings tend to be industry standard parts (and often even have part numbers engraved on them.)
It may be readily available from a local bearing supplier.

Osh - I don't think they do this specific bit, you have to buy the whole unit but I'm hoping to find something aftermarket which will do.

Maldren - I haven't tried to open it up yet as it looks like a sealed unit. I didn't want to risk destroying it and be left with an unusable part (instead of a noisy part) until I'd found out if it is repairable from the wise 911uk chaps.

I'm sure you're right though and it is something small and insignificant, its just whether I've got my brave pants on to risk opening it... :?:

I fixed one for a mate at work - he'd taken it to a garage who wanted a silly amount to fix it (several hundred pounds). He said no and they gave him a box of bits back.

I sourced a new bronze bearing, IIRC it was a free sample, and after a bit of fettling had it all back together and running. My mate was really pleased as it was the middle of winter. I was quite pleased too, getting a box of bits back together into a functioning component.

Carefully strip apart taking photos as you go. Worse case you'll have to get one from a breakers!

RegardsIan

Paynewright said:
I fixed one for a mate at work - he'd taken it to a garage who wanted a silly amount to fix it (several hundred pounds). He said no and they gave him a box of bits back.

I sourced a new bronze bearing, IIRC it was a free sample, and after a bit of fettling had it all back together and running. My mate was really pleased as it was the middle of winter. I was quite pleased too, getting a box of bits back together into a functioning component.

Carefully strip apart taking photos as you go. Worse case you'll have to get one from a breakers!

RegardsIan

Great, thanks!

Am I best off approaching it from the top - pictured, prying off those bits which are knurled onto the top cover, or am I better off trying to get to it through the back?

Any links to the bearing you used?

Much appreciated! :thumb:

From the picture, that side looks sealed, ie crimped but it may be accessible from the other side if you remove the three bolts. If you did need to remove the crimp side cover to gain access I doubt you would get the cover back on?

Sorry didnt write that very well / make myself clear - it was a interior heater on Renault camper van! Principles the same - just strip it down carefully. On the Renault heater some swaged joints in the metal frame had to be pulled apart and peened on re-assembly.

Again, apologies for misleading!

Ian

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back