Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 turbo oil pressure sensor

barefoot

Monza
My oil pressure gauge sometimes works sometimes doesn't I have bought a new sensor can anyone put a pic or describe for me what's involved in replacing my old one? I am presuming the old one is on its way out?

The sender is the most obvious and something i would certainly start by replaceing .

Its not straight forward though .. unlike the non turbos its not on the cam cover but on the oil filter houseing .

Im afraid ive not done one in many a year so cant remember whats involved .. but i suspect a wee bit of removeing items will be required .

Image below of position and its no. 45 .

Scroll to the bottom of link for a partial image ..

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=46060&highlight=996+turbo+oil+pressure

Attachments

• sender_170.gif
    sender_170.gif
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,188
I'm replacing my sender at the moment.

I started by trying to get it from the right side of the oil filter housing by removing the y pipe and the throttle body. This allowed me to get a spanner on it but I couldn't get it undone as I couldn't get a spanner on the mounting bracket below, and the bracket just started to bend.

Next I tried getting it from the left side of the filter housing, I was still trying to do the job without removing the housing at this point as I imagined loads of oil going everywhere. I removed the dump valves as a unit complete with the f pipe and pipe below them, this was quite tricky as the springloaded clips are not the easiest things to get off, you also have to disconnect the vac lines etc so worth taking pics to make sure they go back correctly.

This gave better access but still not great and I still couldn't get it undone. What this did do was give easy access to the three bolts which hold the filter housing so I put loads of paper towel all around it then removed the housing.

To my surprise there was no oil in it at all, it must've all drained back into the sump. With the filter housing out of the way I now had perfect access to the sender and managed to undo it, it was no wonder I was struggling earlier as it was super tight.

What I don't know is if it's possible to get to the filter housing mounting bolts with out taking all the other stuff off, if it is then that would probably be a quicker way of doing it. I personally have spent years working on cars trying to do it the quick way and have learnt with the Porsche that it's often easier to just keep removing stuff to fully expose what ever it is you're working on.

It took about an hour and a half to take apart then I imagine about the same to put back together as I've not got that far yet.

While I had it in bits I've also checked the vac lines and one way valves etc and pressure tested the dump valves as these are 14 years old now, may as well while they are all exposed.

Mac

some pics, it's pretty tight in there.

Fook me it's a pain to add pics on this forum. resize first then it puts them in the post in the wrong order and ones upside down!!!!

Attachments

• left_side_110.jpg
    left_side_110.jpg
    784.9 KB · Views: 1,116
  • oil_housing_removed_111.jpg
    oil_housing_removed_111.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 1,116
  • right_side_196.jpg
    right_side_196.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 1,114

New Threads

Forum statistics