Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Loose brake disc shields

Alex

Nordschleife
I've had a bit of an annoying rattle coming from my rear end. Under inspection I noticed my rear brake disc shields were loose so seeing as I couldn't work today due to a planned power outage I thought I'd tale the opportunity to get it sorted. Ordered a couple from Bolton OPC and had a nice back road drive over there 1st thing to pick them up. Also had a good browse round the showroom including having a good gander at the 991 GT2 RS they have in :worship:

State of play with the old ones:

Old vs New:

5luhwQv.jpg

New fitted:

XaMHf9Z.jpg

Mine rusted off! Well one of them disappeared, the other one corroded around a few bolt holes and began to scrape, so i removed it.

Currently running without... will probably try to fix when i get new rear discs on. Presumably not too expensive from OPC?

Just short of £30 for the pair.

The bolts and washers that hold them on react due to disimilar metal reaction, can be sorted with penny washers.
But as Alex posted not daft money for new shiny things !

:lol: :lol:

For those with a sharp eye, you may have spotted a light smear of copper grease applied :lol:

Wow, they were a bit wobbly mate :eek:

Are the new ones just pressed steel and painted, or galvanized :?:

I presume they are galvanised. I was tempted to paint them but can't see them being just pressed out steel. Will see how they oxidise and take action if necessary.

kurlykris said:
Are the new ones just pressed steel and painted, or galvanized :?:

Just checked - Stainless Steel.

Frenchmeister said:
The bolts and washers that hold them on react due to disimilar metal reaction, can be sorted with penny washers.
But as Alex posted not daft money for new shiny things !

:lol: :lol:

Both mine went because of this, I had a heap of washers lying about so just did that to fix. When I get round to new discs I'll get some new ones fitted.

You may notice in the videos.......I'd already put big washers on previously on some of the bolts.

But the metal itself felt as solid as a bent crisp packet so thought it was about time I replaced them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back