Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clear vinyl rear arch stone guards?

MikeRSR

Any any suggestions for the best aftermarket supplier, or is OPC parts dept the way to go? Any advice appreciated!

Just picked mine up from FD Motorsports in California, $95 plus postage.They are very good quality and 3M. I've seen some cheap ones on eBay but wasn't sure of quality. I think OPC charge £66 for each side for the OEM ones.

HTH

Thanks, just ordered through local OPC 8)

:thumb:

I see that you have already bought the stone guards but I looked a few years back and contacted http://www.prestigeparts.co.uk/ (No affiliation) They were helpful, seemed to know what they were doing and the price was good. They have the ability to change the shape if needed. I did not buy from them in the end as I had the small dent in the RHS rear arch removed, it was so small it was possible to roll it out, and no need to replace the stone guard. However I would look to them again if I needed new stone guards.

ATB :)

Now I'm no expert on plastics... but I've bought/applied a hell of a lot of decals and I am certain that if we could find the pattern (and that's as easy as tracing the shape off my car) we could get them made by someone like Stickeredup4lemans on any 3M clear material we stipulated for a fraction of the cost/numbers people are quoting above!

I bet Carbone would do it. Mind you, they charge Porsche Tax too.

Clear stone guards

I bought mine from prestiege parts or kpporsche on ebay (Keith Pink) Good quality, fitted perfectly.

Re: Clear stone guards

911smark said:
I bought mine from prestiege parts or kpporsche on ebay (Keith Pink) Good quality, fitted perfectly.

Hi 911smark,

Good to hear that they fitted perfectly. As I said, I would go to Keith too for replacement as I had a chat with him online in the past and he was very helpful.

Can you give us a heads up on how you went about removing the old ones and fitting the new ones please?

Re: Clear stone guards

MikeRSR said:
decgraham said:
...how you went about removing the old ones...
Umm, good question!

I think I know where you are coming from. I had both mine replaced by OPC in Kuwait back in 2010 before I exported the car to the UK. The guy at OPC Kuwait said it took him a whole day to remove both stone guards, they came off thumb nail piece by thumb nail piece. They were 15 years old by then and had been subjected to some pretty high Kuwait summer temperatures of 52C 8)

They did a good job though. :D

Stone guards

Decgraham, I did not fit them myself, my body shop guy did, However I think he removed the old one's with a hairdryer / heat gun and then used plenty of soapy water to apply the new one's.

Mine was a slightly more aggressive means of removal..!

Attachments

• 39943524463_55152f931d_c_104.jpg
    39943524463_55152f931d_c_104.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 2,285
  • 39943527263_6e8d7a47f8_c_201.jpg
    39943527263_6e8d7a47f8_c_201.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 2,285
Hi all,

I am sure the OEM guards are made by Orafol and are 'Oraguard' material. I bought a pair from Keith from eBay and they were Oraguard, but then my bodyshop messed the first one up (by not fitting with water) so I ended up getting a replacement from Keith, but sadly this wasn't Oraguard (it states this on the backing tape) Keith told me the Oraguard ones were too expensive and the replacement wasn't as good. I ended up fitting both, dead easy, just use lots of water with a tiny bit of wash liquid, then squeegee all the water and bubbles out from underneath again with plenty of water as lube. The Oraguard one is clearer. Not that the other looks bad, and you wouldn't notice. But given the choice Oraguard are the ones.

I now buy Oraguard in a roll to use on my bikes for cable rub and chainstay protection... its the best helecopter type tape out there!!

Lig.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back