Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door latch mechanism questions

Lordjimimac

Monza
Hi folks,
My drivers side window has started to sometimes raise to full height when the door is open (rather than staying slightly lowered to allow it to clear the door frame when closing). Research suggests it's highly likely to be a knackered micro switch in the door latch mechanism, and I've a couple of questions that would be of great help if anyone knows the answers:

- when replacing the mechanism, Will I need a new door membrane or is it possible to not knacker the existing one?
- would I be best sourcing the part from opc or are there other suppliers that are cheaper?
- if anyone had done this job, is it poss for an amateur to DIY?

Big thanks for any help on these qs.
James

Lordjimimac said:
Hi folks,
My drivers side window has started to sometimes raise to full height when the door is open (rather than staying slightly lowered to allow it to clear the door frame when closing). Research suggests it's highly likely to be a knackered micro switch in the door latch mechanism, and I've a couple of questions that would be of great help if anyone knows the answers:

- when replacing the mechanism, Will I need a new door membrane or is it possible to not knacker the existing one?
- would I be best sourcing the part from opc or are there other suppliers that are cheaper?

James

James, there isn't a membrane as such, it's an aluminium inner door skin, you won't need to replace this but the rubbery/foam seal around the edge that sits against the door frame will almost certainly come apart and will need to be replaced. It's the seal that is the culprit of many a wet door carpet! Removing the residue of the old seal is a pain, but necessary to prevent leaks. I used some roofers mastic, messy but does the job :thumb:

Thanks loads for the cautionary insight!
DucatiRob said:
Lordjimimac said:
Hi folks,

James

James, there isn't a membrane as such, it's an aluminium inner door skin, you won't need to replace this but the rubbery/foam seal around the edge that sits against the door frame will almost certainly come apart and will need to be replaced. It's the seal that is the culprit of many a wet door carpet! Removing the residue of the old seal is a pain, but necessary to prevent leaks. I used some roofers mastic, messy but does the job :thumb:

I had a similar problem with the door mechanism on my Audi TT some years ago, the microswitch had failed, Audi wanted £175 for the whole mechanism as they didn't sell the switch on it's own, found an almost identical switch from Maplin for about £2, not sure if the switch on the 911 is replaceable, but worth a try!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back