Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Header tank breather valve problems replacing

C4-STORM

Hockenheim
Evening all.

I need help with removing and replacing header tank breather valve please!!

Bolts are showing signs of minor surface rust but upon removal the bolt heads are literally falling off..

Can't drill them out as they are housed in plastic.

Please don't tell me I will need to drain the coolant, drop the engine and remove the header tank 😩

I am at the point where I can leave it alone but I am not happy knowing these bolts are all rusted away (and there's only 4 left holding it on)...

Any other ideas guys??

Attachments

• 266b1702_ea43_4856_a382_3db4e20cd356_156.jpeg
    266b1702_ea43_4856_a382_3db4e20cd356_156.jpeg
    713.1 KB · Views: 1,363
Erm, that look like a right pain. It's a bit hard to tell from the pic but if the bolts have snapped just below the heads there may be enough left sticking out once the black valve body is removed to get some grips on them. Trouble is you are committed once you do!

Ps what was your reason for removing them, it doesn't look like the valve was leaking?

Thanks guys.

That video makes it look fairly straightforward..

The annoying thing is I don't have a leak. Went to remove 1 bolt as it was rusty. Should have just left alone! My bad :nooo:

Looking at the parts if you buy a new bleed valve, they look like self tapping screws.
I would be inclined to have a go at getting them out, but then I am an engineer :grin:

TPyOjAJ.jpg

Hi Kris.
That's what I would like to do and I have the valve kit/new screws which you have shown.
I started to try and drill out one of the screws threads I could access the easiest but it wasn't working out too well tbh.
Access is so limited that the header tank needs to come out really I think.
I've left it all alone for now, plugged the holes with gasket sealant and cleaned it all up - just to tidy.
Nothings leaking at the moment, I'll keep an eye on it!

:yeah: exactly what I was thinking Chris :grin:

I'll give it a go, it's hard to get in there though.

Thanks for the comments chaps :thumb:

kurlykris said:
:yeah: exactly what I was thinking Chris :grin:

Snap.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back