Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 PSE exhaust replacement

The vacuum reservoir holds vacuum for a fair time, so possible to switch the exhaust before starting the car.

MC

I had my factory PSE replaced with Designtek Valvetronic back boxes. Came with a key fob system but my garage said was easy enough to wire up to the existing dash switch. Works perfectly, sounds blinking great. A great toy to play with. :D

996 Porkster said:
Although I've only had the C2 for just over 3 weeks, I absolutely love the sound of the PSE. There doesn't appear to be any aftermarket systems that offer the same or similar sound. As before, I think I'll get the seams welded for now and look into a TG switchable system later down the line.

Exactly same scenario for me - 1 week into a C2 with PSE and loving the sound (they're stuck on loud). Although mine look like they've been welded before - expecting to need to change them sometime soon.

Looks like the TG switchable system is the best route?

ballcock said:
Lukec4s said:
I have a spyder performance switchable system. Stock cats. The system switches using a remote. It defaults to valves open so I rarely use the fob. I find valves open gives a nice sound, no drone and considerably cheaper than pse.

I have come across posts where people have diy'd the original pse button to operate aftermarket systems.

All in all no complaints. I'm considering sports cats to increase sound

I was close to going for these boxes until I heard that the default is loud.. so every time you start the car it's on loud, right?
I need stealth mode on startup to creep away from the house st unsociable hours.

I meant to add comment to the above. The default of loud is not bad at all on the 911 at idle. I have the same early start. 6am. My previous e93 m3 with back box mod was so loud on cold start I would cringe 😂

thread resurrection...

My designtek valved back boxes that are only a few years old are starting to sound rattly in the open position so am looking for alternatives.

Do the topgear versions offer more performance over standard PSE? As I think I would like to get hold of PSE if I can.

Interestingly the descriptions for topgear and designtek are identical in the power gain claims, I wonder if they are made by the same people?

markh1 said:
thread resurrection...

My designtek valved back boxes that are only a few years old are starting to sound rattly in the open position so am looking for alternatives.

Do the topgear versions offer more performance over standard PSE? As I think I would like to get hold of PSE if I can.

Interestingly the descriptions for topgear and designtek are identical in the power gain claims, I wonder if they are made by the same people?

I think your observation is correct, one of the backbones on mine is starting to split so I've been looking at exhausts on/off - from what I read the DesignTek ones are made by Top Gear.

I've got the Spyder system. My car had the full PSE retrofitted when it was about a year old. The PSE boxes had started to split so I took the view that I would get them off and have them repaired for safe keeping.

I fitted the Spyder boxes directly to the PSE hoses and all works fine with the button on the dash.

I did have a problem previous to this with the button getting stuck in loud and not working which was the relay and repeated attempts to "reflow it" would fix it for a few weeks but then the it would start playing up again so bit the bullet and bought a new relay which solved the issue. The old relay was "hacked" but i haven't bothered messing with the new one yet.

Sound wise quiet is all you would ever need. Loud is loud and only really good under full power acceleration. I think it loses some torque in everyday use so i tend to go straight for quiet.

Leaving the relay unhacked actually solves some of the issue with this as it seems to flick in and out reasonably sensibly. I might get round to having a fiddle or refitting the PSE boxes one day.

A little visual comparison

Top gear

55-PS102VPicture14-800x800.jpg

Designtek

3606009614lr.jpg

Spyder

Porsche-996-Spyder-Performance-Switchable-Valvetronic-Sports-Exhaust-Silencer-Muffler-Set.jpg

they all look the same!

I thought topgear were meant to be really good, it is disappointing that they make the designtek ones and mine are failing already.

Although the description says the exhausts make more power on open if feels like the opposite when I am driving it

I would agree with the power comment unless absolutely flat out (and even then that might just be the noise making it feel faster). Overtaking on quiet seems more "ready to go" hence my comment on loss of torque

I was going to have a look at messing with the actuator arm so that fully open (loud) wasnt quite so loud, eg prevent the mechanism from being fully open. Not sure in reality whether this is possible.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back