Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I''m back in a 911!!!.. 996 C2 project begins.

I too had the thought of selling and being a V8 Vantage. Until looking at examples described as great and in reality where a tatty mess. It strengthened my opinion that the 996 is a bloody brilliant car that is very (IMO) undervalued at the moment. It would take a lot for me to change it.

Ive also a friend who's a serial new sports car buyer. From the stacks he's had the Vantage was the most disappointing. In regards to both driving and reliability.

wasz said:
Its all marginal gains and laws of diminishing returns.

Thing is 996 (and 986) are so undervalued you have to spend an awful lot more for something that will do what it does any better. And then you will worry about parking it anywhere.

Marky you are mad to sell that car, should be well over £20k and would probably be a lot more on the forecourt of a dealer.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902235228777

The guy selling that is on crack. There is a huge gap in the history.
18k miles and 10 years.

IMO, for what its worth, Markys car is £18k+ all day long. Just try and find another one.....

Marky911 said:
Too right that's where I'm at (a bit over £50k actually) with deal agreed but I'm 50/50 on pulling out of it all.

My buyer is a nice guy who's been in touch most days since last week but tonight he's begun quibbling over the £18k minimum I'll take, which I made clear at the start.

I totted up mine at the weekend. I've spent £16k+ on top of the £13k purchase, so £29k!! So I've restored the car with all the best bits, for the next owner at a loss of £11k to myself.

Sellers of the new car are ok but I'm just questioning the whole deal.
I think I might message my buyer in the morning and just say we'll leave it.

The replacement car is £37k on top of my C2! So I'm as happy to leave it as I am to buy it I think. Especially when you add my £11k loss.

Sorry for hijack Ady, I should have put this in my own thread actually, but I know me, you and Alex are in the same boat.
Very interested to see what you do next. :thumb:

Marky, when you remove the emotional GT3 attachment when all is said and done, is it really worth an additional £48K?

Wasz and Crash you're right but I won't derail Ady's thread.
I'll cover it in mine. :thumb:

I've just 2 words for you guys looking for a 996 replacement:

Lotus Evora.

It's a LOT like a 996, with better steering and handling. Engine's not quite as good in NA form ,but better in S form. A truly special, British car. Totally reliable mechanically, just a few minor niggles electrically.

Both the 996 and the Evora won EVO Car of the Year. Both great cars.

No faster and potentially too much depreciation.

Seriously though, this car is 10 miles from mine. You're not telling me that wasn't worth £24k????

I could've always walked :dont know:

..........and what's £24k when you're drunk? :grin:

They do still look so damn good! 8)

I can see the temptation, at that price especially. :eek:

Imagine, a AM V8V or a future bore scored 997 C2S :dont know:

Which one's gonna rip the wallet most?

Which one sounds the best?

Which one looks the best?

All food for thought. :?

alex yates said:
Imagine, a AM V8V or a future bore scored 997 C2S :dont know:

Which one's gonna rip the wallet most?

Which one sounds the best?

Which one looks the best?

All food for thought. :?

The 997 :grin:

And you KNOW, it will drive the best :thumbs:

I think to go the AM route you would need to accept that the looks and sound are glorious but dynamically it would be a backwards step compared to a 911.
I still can't stop looking at them though :oops: :pc: :wack: :mrgreen:

kas750 said:
I think to go the AM route you would need to accept that the looks and sound are glorious but dynamically it would be a backwards step compared to a 911.
I still can't stop looking at them though :oops: :pc: :wack: :mrgreen:

Exactly this. I have the Sports Pack option on my DB9, which is supposed to improve the response somewhat, but whatever it is a big heavy car. The Vantage isn't much smaller. It is much more a GT than a sports car.
A 2007 V8V has a 200mm longer wheelbase and is 100mm wider than a 996 C2, it also weighs around 200kg more.

MC

...that is a lot of car for £24k ! Just look at it :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back