Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

(Updated)996 Mayo, noise, oil leak - should I be worried....

Had a look through the file during the ad break and it was the timing chain tensioner seal. Worth a look. I must admit when I saw oil on the back PU my back side literally fell out but it turned out to be a storm in a tea cup.

Good luck

Hans Gruber said:
Had a look through the file during the ad break and it was the timing chain tensioner seal. Worth a look. I must admit when I saw oil on the back PU my back side literally fell out but it turned out to be a storm in a tea cup.

Good luck

Thanks good to know :thumb:

UPDATE - Jacked the car up this morning and found the leak is coming from the gearbox. It had been notchy and feared '2nd gear pop out' was coming. I'll book it in and see what's up.

The actual gearbox or where it bolts to the back of the engine? Could be rms or ims seal.

Thanks Alex,
I'll need to get it on a lift and shine a torch to be sure. But I reckon it's from the front end of the gearbox, the under tray is quite wet from oil. As far as I can see there is no place in the front end of the gearbox oil could leak from, no loose bolts or anything.

So it is look like you have similar problem like myself, oil could be from RMS or IMS but from your description I would bet on RMS, without gearbox out of the car is just guessing.

77szymon said:
So it is look like you have similar problem like myself, oil could be from RMS or IMS but from your description I would bet on RMS, without gearbox out of the car is just guessing.

Thanks I'm leaning towards RMS, pitty had a new clutch 5k miles ago. Did you have anything else done whilst at the RMS?

I think about oil cooler as it is look like I have some coolant leak from it, just to point out my leak was from IMS flange so I have checked my bearing condition and also removed cover so oil can flow on it but it is extra job if your leak is RMS so not sure if worth doing.... you can find more info:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132248

worth to read as there a few important info about bearing.

I would say the spots on the PU are more likely salt residue/grime from the road at this time of year.

My Mercedes and BMW X5 have similar marks.

77szymon said:
I think about oil cooler as it is look like I have some coolant leak from it, just to point out my leak was from IMS flange so I have checked my bearing condition and also removed cover so oil can flow on it but it is extra job if your leak is RMS so not sure if worth doing.... you can find more info:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132248

worth to read as there a few important info about bearing.

Thank you

its a bit strange there is a lack of oil blown over the engine , exhaust and oil deposits on the PU ..

But oil on the bell houseing is pretty much 100% from the rear main or the IMS seal ..

Bell houseing is the bell shaped part of the gearbox that bolts to the engine .

Now then .. my concern .. is this a long term leak or has it just started .. to suddenly leak big time means its an urgent investigation .. long term and its just seals .

From the misting i would say long term .. but i would like a good picture of the front part of the gearbox if possible please .

Im not trying to scare or anything ... i just like to confirm things .. hence if i say dont even start the car you will know .. or as i expect ill just say get the seals done ..

Trying to cover all bases here basically so dont be alarmed .. its just me being cautious .

Again .. dont worry .

Thanks deMort, I'll try and grab a picture in tomorrow.
It does seem to be heavier recently. I haven't driven it and don't intend to until it's been looked at.

Thanks all for the comments. By way of an update - it turned out to be a pipe leak on one of the pipes leading to the power steering pump (I'll replace both pipes). There is a small oil leak, which we'll keep an eye on.
Oil changed and confirmed as ok.

I'm having a few other bits done at the same time, coolant change, new air con condensers (new pipes too to replace the leaking ones). Hopefully all set for spring!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back