Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Creaking windscreen

Allan E

Can I have some advice either short term or long term on how to rectify the creaking which appears to be coming from the front screen. The problem has suddenly come to light in the very cold spell of weather we experienced in early February, prior to this hardly anything.
I am assuming it is the windscreen and not just something behind the dash.

It's a known issue I'm afraid. There is a porsche bulletin showing to pump the cavity full of silicon sealant. Should be an old thread on here if you search.

I fixed mine on my old cab by lifting the rubber seal and pumping it full of silicon wax (aka the stuff you use to lubricate bike chains with). Halfrauds finest

I had a new screen fitted about 18 months when I had the respray. Everything had been fine.
I went out on new years day in the ice and the screen was creaking.
I next went out at beginning of Feb when it was really cold - and it was annoyingly creaky, so much so that I decided to take it down to 9M to get them to have a look the next dry day we had.
On that day though, it was nice and warm and there was no creaking!
Last week in the sun - no problem.

The fix then is to have the window down and revs up when it's cold out :grin:

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Has the screen been replaced recently?, if so by who?, is it an OEM screen?.

Trev

The screen is the original I believe however would the screen not have been fixed with some sort of silicone based bonding agent, or does it sit between the inner and outer seals?
Can I assume to apply silicone I would remove the outer seal, reseal then replace the outer seal, preferably using a new one?

Many thanks for the replies, just been scanning another forum and ' Pedros Ice Wax" is mentioned, has anyone used this stuff and if so does it work?

PS I have tried the open windows and plenty of revs but it still gets on my wick!

996 suffer from this as well .. we use Teflon tape .. it looks like selotape but a bit more expensive ..

You lift the screen rubber and fit this tape all the way around the screen .. it basically proves a surface the screen rubber can slip on rather than drag which causes these noises ... you do have to trim it to fit though .

I replaced the outside screen rubber for a new one and that stopped my screen creaking. It seems that the rubber hardens over time and starts to creak.
The replacement screen rubber was about £30 from the OPC.

I guess the real solution to this is have the screen properly fitted by an expert.

But if you want a cheap low cost or temporary solution then I would recommend Pedro's Ice Wax. This was recommended to me when I had a 993 coupe with a squeaky screen and never heard a squeak for two years after the initial application of Pedros. Don't know how long it lasted because I sold the car to somebody else.

Nowadays I drive a 993 Cab and the screen may well creak for all I know but it's so noisy with the wind noise and other rattles that I'm not sure I would hear it. And with old age my hearing is not what it was either!

You can buy Pedro's ice wax of eBay and I think it's about a fiver. Just lift up the rubber surround and squirt the ice wax behind it then wipe off any excess.

Good luck squeaky boy

Citori said:
I replaced the outside screen rubber for a new one and that stopped my screen creaking. It seems that the rubber hardens over time and starts to creak.

Steve

Is it just a case of pulling the old seal out and pushing a new one in or is there more to it?

Pretzel said:
Citori said:

Steve

Is it just a case of pulling the old seal out and pushing a new one in or is there more to it?

yep it just pushes in... new ones look to short when you start... it sort of stretches as you go.... while it's off there is a Porsche tech note which describes filling the gap with sealant to avoid water collecting.

A993LAD said:
But if you want a cheap low cost or temporary solution then I would recommend Pedro's Ice Wax. This was recommended to me when I had a 993 coupe with a squeaky screen and never heard a squeak for two years after the initial application of Pedros. Don't know how long it lasted because I sold the car to somebody else.

After getting some Pedros Ice Wax, I applied a generous coating all along the lower screen area under the outer seal and left for 24 hours. Went out in the car the following day on an unexpected journey and after 10 minutes or so I realised the creaking had stopped, I will put more in soon and see how long it lasts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back