Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to get a higher pitched exhaust sound?

james911996

Silverstone
Hi all,

I'm seeking some advice from people who have tried out a few different exhaust options.

My current set up (2002 C2) is stock headers, Dansk 200 Cel cats fitted by previous owner and DesignTek switchable silencers. Overall the system is louder than stock on the "Quiet" setting and quite significantly noisier on the "Loud" one. The exhaust note is very heavy on the low end (very much below 3000 RPM), much less high end scream.

If i had to simplify things i would say on the scale of Tractor (heavy on low end) to F1 (high pitched) i am very much on the Tractor side. And on the scale of Loud to Quiet i am on the Loud side (do not pass the noise test on a 105 db track day at Brands Hatch on the "Loud" setting).

What i would like to achieve is: less Tractor, more F1, and quieter overall.

So how does one go about this? From spending time on YouTube it looks like all the switchable exhausts are louder than OEM on all settings and the favoured sound is Tractor (so to speak). I read somewhere that headers will give the racier F1 sound, but that was 1 post on a 997 forum.

Any thoughts on some switchable silencers that people have tried and might help move things in the right direction? Should i go the custom route, and if so who are some good people to work with around west london? which part of the exhaust should i focus on?

If you are an exhaust expert or have tried a variety of options and have some thoughts also please speak up!

Oh and one condition - the system ultimately needs to be able pass the noise test at Bedford track days!

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks
James

Some of that may not be achievable, due to the nature of the engine etc.

Have you thought about having one made for you. I'm sure there will be someone close to you that could make a system that ticks most, if not all of your boxes. They will be able to make it louder or quieter depending on what you want.

I too want to be more on the side of the F1 scale. I am looking at Tubi Style back boxes and then an X-Pipe if this is too quiet.

jcharalambides said:
Oh and one condition - the system ultimately needs to be able pass the noise test at Bedford track days!

To get what you're after and to stay within 101 Db's will be a challenge - to say the least.

This is an interesting question. I do like the deep burble of my 3.6 with PSE, but equally, I like the howl of the GT3.

This lot came up on a 997 thread- to me its a great sound. Scroll down to the video at the bottom and have a listen. Bespoke too, so you can tailor the sound and volume you're looking for.

https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/single-post/Porsche-911-Exhaust

I fitted a Tubi system on an F355- it was dreadful. Sounded great in the videos from outside, but in the car it made a flat, annoying thick resonant booooom at more or less any normal road speed/engine revs combination. After a long drive to Norfolk and back I had it taken off and sold. This would make me very wary of installing any aftermarket kit without a proper test drive, or 'no quibble' refund arrangement.

Experiment with the induction sound first to get more of a F1 scream inside the cabin, you may find that ticks the box as it's what you will mostly here without making the car more noisy externally.

Induction howl may be what you are after, try doing the HHR removal/cold air intake mod and then changing the air filter if you want more.
Much less expensive than changing the exhaust, my car has standard headers & CATs with a TG sports exhaust and I think it sounds great when I nail it.

I have a Kreisseig (KSG) on my GTR. It's billed as an F1 sounding exhaust and only these guys make them. It's staged, I have 1 and 5, so quiet and loud. When you turn it off it cuts out the drone completely which is great for cruising, valves open and it screams!

It's not cheap though, shipped from Japan is $12k.

https://kreissieg.ocnk.net

Cheaper on the 996, but it will get you the sound you want.

Robertb said:
This is an interesting question. I do like the deep burble of my 3.6 with PSE, but equally, I like the howl of the GT3.

This lot came up on a 997 thread- to me its a great sound. Scroll down to the video at the bottom and have a listen. Bespoke too, so you can tailor the sound and volume you're looking for.

https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/single-post/Porsche-911-Exhaust

I fitted a Tubi system on an F355- it was dreadful. Sounded great in the videos from outside, but in the car it made a flat, annoying thick resonant booooom at more or less any normal road speed/engine revs combination. After a long drive to Norfolk and back I had it taken off and sold. This would make me very wary of installing any aftermarket kit without a proper test drive, or 'no quibble' refund arrangement.

Thanks for the link Robert, it does sound good! I emailed the guys and we'll see what they say.

Good to hear your feedback on Tubi. Real life experience is always helpful.

T8 said:
jcharalambides said:

To get what you're after and to stay within 101 Db's will be a challenge - to say the least.

I know - its the only place within reach with weekend trackdays though so this is important. Absolutely fine if its on the "Quiet" setting on a switchable.

Paddy78 said:
Some of that may not be achievable, due to the nature of the engine etc.

Have you thought about having one made for you. I'm sure there will be someone close to you that could make a system that ticks most, if not all of your boxes. They will be able to make it louder or quieter depending on what you want.

I too want to be more on the side of the F1 scale. I am looking at Tubi Style back boxes and then an X-Pipe if this is too quiet.

I'm reaching out to a few people to enquire about a custom setup but don't really know where to start/ who are the right people to go to that know 996 exhaust well.

Had not heard of Tubi - listening to some youtube vids this doesn't seem to be the sound for me (have to imagine the real life sound is quite different though). a 'good exhaust sound' is a very subjective thing.

911munKy said:
Experiment with the induction sound first to get more of a F1 scream inside the cabin, you may find that ticks the box as it's what you will mostly here without making the car more noisy externally.

Induction howl may be what you are after, try doing the HHR removal/cold air intake mod and then changing the air filter if you want more.
Much less expensive than changing the exhaust, my car has standard headers & CATs with a TG sports exhaust and I think it sounds great when I nail it.

I have a BMC filter in the standard box. Is that what you are referring to?
I am wary about adding more noise given track day restrictions. Do you think this could be an issue?

sim996 said:
I have a Kreisseig (KSG) on my GTR. It's billed as an F1 sounding exhaust and only these guys make them. It's staged, I have 1 and 5, so quiet and loud. When you turn it off it cuts out the drone completely which is great for cruising, valves open and it screams!

It's not cheap though, shipped from Japan is $12k.

https://kreissieg.ocnk.net

Cheaper on the 996, but it will get you the sound you want.

OMG that is expensive. I don't think i can bring myself to spend that much on something that just impacts sound. They are definitely going for that F1 sound though. Bet they are loud as hell also.

Thanks for pointing them out.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=60295

Follow this thread for info on the HHR/CAI mod,
It improved the sound inside the car for me and probably doesn't add much to the external noise. Give it a go as it doesn't cost much, probably badly £20 if you bought and cut your own hose to fit.

Have you tried tightening the belt? :grin:

Swop out the 200cell cats for standard ones, second hand sets should be available, that will be a long way to improving the sound given what you have said you want.

Your dilemma is all our dilemmas , its always hard to make a German flat 6 sound like an F1 and those that have managed to get close seem to be the high end players in the exhaust market , the likes of Akrapovik etc.

some of what you have researched is on the right track and headers do make a difference partly due to shape and partly due to more sound from stainless steel. but do you want headers like the X51 three branches into a straight pipe or equal length into a merge collector . I found that the 996/997.1 engine was more (in your terms tractor) than the 997.2 with the DFI engine which is more high pitched. but still not what I would call F1 with that European high scream sound.

CGR that you have already reached out to did make a nice custom job for one of the 997.1 members on here. it was around the 2k mark. also have a chat to topgear exhausts as they also manufacture them.

also as mentioned TUBI has a nice sound on the 996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moMTLiEuBhE

heres a nice one seems a mix of Kline/topgear and tubi .if you said to Topgear "I want that sound they would probably know what you needed. dont forget forum members get 10% discount from Topgear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrSSutd6wTI

kline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5faVJ45J7lg

also consider whether big bore 200 cell cats will give you more the tone you want than std bore 200 cell cats , again topgear can help with that as they make both options .

Lastly and as already mentioned INDUCTION the howl from a free flowing induction does play a part in creating the sound your after . have you fitted the resonator delete and silicon hose with a BMC sports filter , thats the minimum place to start then look at single or twin cone performance induction . you will almost certainly need a remap if you go with something like fabspeed performance twin cone induction.

heres what I mean this is a race prepped 996 with fabspeed exhaust and induction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJc6It8v5is

but as Terry said whether any of it will be ok for the track db is another set of issues . but have a look at the vids as they may give you some thoughts and ideas :thumb: :thumb:

heres a vid of my 997.2 with 7k of exhaust and induction and its still not really an F1 sound ,so you may be chasing something thats you just cant fully achieve from the Porsche flat 6 engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AXOMSqjxjg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back