Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery charging options

cvega said:
Paynewright said:
Would it be feasible to rig up a solar charger at the garage? You can get kit for narrowboats to maintain battery charge whilst moored up.

Ian

was about to suggest this, a 20-50W solar panel, cheap ish charge controller and ciggy adapter and you're good to go. amazon.

Someone here has done this in their garage, can't quite remember who:(

Dammit?

Magic919 said:
cvega said:
Paynewright said:
Would it be feasible to rig up a solar charger at the garage? You can get kit for narrowboats to maintain battery charge whilst moored up.

Ian

was about to suggest this, a 20-50W solar panel, cheap ish charge controller and ciggy adapter and you're good to go. amazon.

Someone here has done this in their garage, can't quite remember who:(

Dammit?

No need to exclaim!

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=104190&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I have a solar panel rigged up from garage door (south facing, unobstructed), in through passenger window and into diagnostic socket. Battery still drains every couple of weeks, esp in winter. New battery and Portiacraft have confirmed it's good and no drain. I can usually jump it with a jump starter (except for the time the boot and frunk refused to open...) but the whole thing's a monumental pain in the backside and means I dread going to start it, rather than relishing it as I should.
I like the suggestion of combining solar trickle with battery cut off. Perhaps use my new toy to do a full recondition, then try that.
S

If you pop the hood, use a screwdriver to actuate the catch, then lock the car and then disconnect the battery the car will be locked too.

You can then disconnect the battery, hook the solar trickle charger up and let the hood down gently

Use something like this:

85-253920-1.jpg

Just remember to "pop" the hood before you close it when driving off.....

EDIT: actually that might result in the alarm going off? I think my alarm battery is dead thats why I can do the above.

Yes, difficult in that situation, when I was there I've run the charger out over the pavement and put a piece of offcut carpet over it to stop the trip Hazard and also tried the solar panel on the roof trick but encountered the low winter sun issue too. Battery disconnect link is really the best answer and take a decent charged jump pack in case. I found myself forever jumping off the car I drove over to the garage in then leaving it running filling with fuel etc so less than ideal if you don't use it every weekend without fail.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back