Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brown sticky fluid in footwell

dt4

Any thoughts on what a brown sticky fluid in the recess around the drivers footwell could be
The photos are from after i had sponged it and used 1001 carpet cleaner on it
It didnt have a noticeble smell or taste

Attachments

• 20190225_185820_651.jpg
    20190225_185820_651.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,761
  • 20190225_185805_891.jpg
    20190225_185805_891.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,761
So it's not coolant. Very distinctive taste, or dog/child/driver wee for same reason, or single malt spill for that matter.

T8 said:
dt4 said:
It didnt have a noticeble smell or taste

:eek:
I know lol
I was hoping i would recognise it :nooo:
I have looked up behind the dash and pedals but cant see any sign of anything coming in from up there
Initial thoufhts were brake fluid or power steering fluid if there was a way of it getting into the cabin from up there :?:

First off .. and i think you already know this .. please dont taiste any fluid .. think battery acid ! nothing to say it isnt that .

Antifreeze in any reasonable amount will make you go blind .. we used to do this back when i started .. even i dont do it these days .

Ok .. your problem ..

I assume it wasnt there when you started so to me the act of cleaning the carpet has drawn this substance to the surface ..

Back in the day i used to be a dab hand with a wet vac and this did happen from time to time .. dont even ask me about the granda est that a zoo owned and what happened after i wet vaced the carpet !

So .. i think its something in the foam under the carpet that has now been drawn up to the surface .

As to what .. something previously spilt ..maybe ..

We are by the seat but if you move forward you have the pedals .. brake / clutch if fitted use brake fluid .. it does sometimes happen that a master cyl will leak inside the car .. fluid will collect under the carpet .

I think if you had a problem then you would know by now due to lack of brakes or clutch .. so its possible this is an old leak.

You are only left with pulling up the carpet and looking at the foam .. or not cleaning it again :)

just my 2pennys anyways .

...hmm; Brown sticky fluid ? Diahoria :floor:

deMort said:
First off .. and i think you already know this .. please dont taiste any fluid .. think battery acid ! nothing to say it isnt that .

Antifreeze in any reasonable amount will make you go blind .. we used to do this back when i started .. even i dont do it these days .

Ok .. your problem ..

I assume it wasnt there when you started so to me the act of cleaning the carpet has drawn this substance to the surface ..

Back in the day i used to be a dab hand with a wet vac and this did happen from time to time .. dont even ask me about the granda est that a zoo owned and what happened after i wet vaced the carpet !

So .. i think its something in the foam under the carpet that has now been drawn up to the surface .

As to what .. something previously spilt ..maybe ..

We are by the seat but if you move forward you have the pedals .. brake / clutch if fitted use brake fluid .. it does sometimes happen that a master cyl will leak inside the car .. fluid will collect under the carpet .

I think if you had a problem then you would know by now due to lack of brakes or clutch .. so its possible this is an old leak.

You are only left with pulling up the carpet and looking at the foam .. or not cleaning it again :)

just my 2pennys anyways .

Thanks deMort
That has me thinking
It was the presence of the stuff that got me cleaning, I should have taken the photo before I started the cleaning rather than after, so that rules out it being something drawn to the surface

I'll lift the battery out to see it is leaking
The thing is I cant see any sign of anything leaking from the outside to inside but maybe Im not looking in the right place or for the right signs

The brake pedal is feeling slightly spongy, I but the reservoir is full so no sign of any losses

I lifted the battery out and all is well there.
I checked the drain under the battery tray and that is clear so its not as a consequence of that drain being bunged up

Imho .. there is only x2 fluids that could actually get there with in reason . .. one is antifreeze .. it wont look like what you have and it will have a sweetish smell .. you will actually smell it in the car .

The other is brake fluid ... all you can do is look up behind the pedals .. look at the rod comeing from brake / clutch pedal and going forward .. any leak and it should be obvious .

If unsure .. just stick a camera under the pedals and take some picts .. post here or to [email protected] and ill have a look .

deMort said:
Imho .. there is only x2 fluids that could actually get there with in reason . .. one is antifreeze .. it wont look like what you have and it will have a sweetish smell .. you will actually smell it in the car .

The other is brake fluid ... all you can do is look up behind the pedals .. look at the rod comeing from brake / clutch pedal and going forward .. any leak and it should be obvious .

If unsure .. just stick a camera under the pedals and take some picts .. post here or to [email protected] and ill have a look .

Thanks again for the reply deMort
I have had my head under there again tonight and its all dry, no sign of any leaks old or new
It remains a mystery until some other symptoms appear
I am taxing it Friday so will be able to road test it (carefully)

Seems odd its only at the back (seat end) of the footwell. Any sign of a leak onto the mat?

Has all the hallmarks of a soft drink spill to me. A similar thing happened to a car of mine years ago when a coke from KFC went rogue...

Let's try and narrow it down:

1. Is the fluid viscous like oil, or is it like water?

2. How much fluid, a small damp path or a few pints?

Rust tainted water or muddy water form your boots / shoes? Condensation that is picking up a contaiminent (mud / dirt) from somewhere on its journey to the footwell?

Robertb said:
Seems odd its only at the back (seat end) of the footwell. Any sign of a leak onto the mat?

Has all the hallmarks of a soft drink spill to me. A similar thing happened to a car of mine years ago when a coke from KFC went rogue...

It seemed to have pooled around the edges
I thought soft drink too but there is no smell to it plus I havent had any soft drinks in the car and it was dampish and dirty sticky.
I cant see a sign of leaking from above or back of the carpet and nothing on the mat
I am sure I would have seen it by now if it had been present for any length of time

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back