Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 C4S to 997.1 Turbo tiptronic?

S444Will

This question has probably been asked hundreds of times but here goes. I've owned a pretty mint 997.1 4S for the last 3.5 years and I'm getting itchy feet for a turbo. The issue I've potentially got is to buy a well spec'd car in the right condition I'm probably looking at a tiptronic. I need to go have a drive but am I going to miss the driver focus of a manual or does the tip suit the turbo's nature?
Most of my driving is on country A and B roads with bits of motorway thrown in too, not a great deal of city driving.
I realise this is very much a case of first world problems but HELP!!

Cheers
Will

Hmm I could almost get that past the fiancé without her even realising it was a different car!

If you have a manual now I would drive test drive the tip before making the decision to switch.

I had a C4S with a manual and switched to a turbo with a manual because I found the tip gearbox (in non-turbo car that I drove) not be anywhere near as good... but that was my experience and yours could well be different :)

I'm in the unusual position of having owned both. In real world driving I can't see why you'd select the manual over the tip. So I'd recommend a tip turbo rather than pay the premium for a manual. The tip is faster in a straight line too as it gets off the line easier. It can also change gear in auto at WOT. Good luck doing that in a manual.

But as ever try both and ignore the proper driver stuff. Unless you're Jason Plato I doubt it'll make much difference. Beyond pub car park bragging rights :thumbs:

Good luck and enjoy your search. There's a lovely red one that's mint on sale here. Very diligent owner too :D

OP asked if he would miss the driving focus and listed A and B roads as being part of his daily commute... not launching his car off the line and taking part at VMAX :)

You guys are pretty much confirming what I suspected would be the case and I need to get myself some time in the drivers seat of a tiptronic.
For those of you who have or do own a tiptronic, when you're on a spirited drive do you find yourself shifting gears yourself or leaving the car in auto?

S444Will said:
For those of you who have or do own a tiptronic, when you're on a spirited drive do you find yourself shifting gears yourself or leaving the car in auto?

That's the joy of Tip' driving. You can decide on the day. :)

Personally I prefer to engage 'Sports' mode, put it in 'D' and concentrate on just steering the thing. After a very short time the gearbox learns that you're pushing on and hangs on to the gears for just as long as you would if you were in 'M'.

I made reference to the torque before. It's that which brings about the biggest difference in driving a turbo rather than a Carrera. Carreras thrive on revs. Turbos use their low down grunt and are looking to offer another slug of it far lower down the rev range. It's almost like driving a diesel but one that's got a rocket up its' arris. :D

So I feel like I saw this car this morning in the B&Q car park near Wilmslow get to g a coffee from Costa. Any chance it was you OP?

No not me, she hasn't moved today. I'm based in Yorkshire so not a million miles away but not me on this occasion.
I didn't realise how common red 997s were :D

S444Will said:
No not me, she hasn't moved today. I'm based in Yorkshire so not a million miles away but not me on this occasion.
I didn't realise how common red 997s were :D
Well I just lost the house as there is an identical Guards Red 4S with those wheels in black. The one I saw today had a tan interior, don't tell me it's a proper doppelganger with the trifecta of features

apollokre1d said:
OP asked if he would miss the driving focus and listed A and B roads as being part of his daily commute... not launching his car off the line and taking part at VMAX :)

Apologies I thought it was implicit. Let me be more explicit :wink:

I drove my tips (first a 996 turbo then a 997 turbo) on everything from the Millbrook proving ground to the Notth Coast 500 via Autobahns, the Alps and the Ballons des Vosges. And lots of A, B and even C roads in between. I never found either lacked driver focus. And now I'm in a manual it doesn't feel more driver focused.

On A roads the tip changed down fluidly and eagerly and if not it could be managed manually. On sweeping B roads you're essentially using 3rd and 4th gear most of the time. The same in a recent hoon back from Center Gravity in my manual.

As for daily commute I used to do 42 miles each way from Harrow to Cranfield and back again. On a commute when traffic gets blocked as it often does in the UK a tip makes life much easier. Especially spotting gaps in slow moving traffic and being able to point and squirt.

Finally a tip allows you to not focus on up changes when joining traffic on motorways or dual carriageways. Whereas in the manual you need to be mindful of the changes from 2nd to 3rd being needed quicker than you might realise.

Don't get me wrong a tip wasn't perfect. But if you want driver focused forget the gearbox and focus instead on getting it to Center Gravity.

But that's just my opinion. Others are available. Including your own, OP. Try both and decide for yourself :thumbs:

New997buyer said:
apollokre1d said:

Apologies I thought it was implicit. Let me be more explicit :wink:

I drove my tips (first a 996 turbo then a 997 turbo) on everything from the Millbrook proving ground to the Notth Coast 500 via Autobahns, the Alps and the Ballons des Vosges. And lots of A, B and even C roads in between. I never found either lacked driver focus. And now I'm in a manual it doesn't feel more driver focused.

On A roads the tip changed down fluidly and eagerly and if not it could be managed manually. On sweeping B roads you're essentially using 3rd and 4th gear most of the time. The same in a recent boom back from Center Gravity in my manual.

As for daily commute I used to do 42 miles each way from Harrow to Cranfield and back again. On a commute when traffic gets blocked as it often does in the UK a tip makes life much easier. Especially spotting gaps in slow moving traffic and being able to point and squirt.

Finally a tip allows you to not focus on up chnages when joining traffic on motorways or dual carriageways. Whereas in the manual you need to be mindful of the changes from 2nd to 3rd being needed quicker than you might realise.

Don't get me wrong a tip wasn't perfect. But if you want driver focused forget the gearbox and focus instead on getting it to Center Gravity.

But that's just my opinion. Others are available. Including your own, OP. Try both and decide for yourself :thumbs:

Very much my thoughts. I've never sat in my turbo and thought 'ohhhh I wish I had a manual one instead..'. Absolutely never.

The turbo suits the tip box. Neither Man nor Tip is right or wrong though, just decide yourself. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back