Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 as a daily

I extrapolate the above posts all made by people who enjoy camping? Am I right?

highway said:

Is this a euphemism? :D

highway said:

Haha, thats hilarious :lol:

Thanks all. Car booked in for a PPI next week, so fingers crossed we get a clean bill of health.

Best of luck orangefender, exciting times.

camping........

highway said:

I just spent 21 days "in the field" in Nepal...........I can assure you, I in no way enjoyed it........could I compare it to daily driving a 993...........well possibly yes :lol:

This topic has come up before and I recall answering, when I owned a 993. You could drive a 993 daily in the same way you could bounce a pogo stick to work, pedal a BMX or bowl a hoop with a stick. You could, but would you want to? The sensible answer is defined by where you live.

If you are in part of the country not choked up with traffic, in that you can get in the car and be enjoying uncluttered, interesting roads 15 mins later then I can see the appeal. If like me, you'd be part of a snake of traffic moving nowhere fast, then why on earth would you want to be in a 993?

They are heavy on fuel, tiring to drive and frankly hard work in traffic. Offset pedal don't help when you are clutch pumping constantly. A modern car does that sort of driving much better.

The two car solution is best. Something as a daily, keeping the 993 to feel special for tactical use.

Unless of course, as with camping, you have some need to experience needless discomfort, which you could readily avoid.

orangefender said:
Thanks all, appreciated.

For context, I'm coming from something Italian and want a car which is a bit more useable, won't depreciate much but still interesting for popping in and out of the office three or four days a week (20 miles round trip), and the occasional longer trip (300 miles round trip) once a month. Expect I'll be doing 3-5k miles p.a. year round.

Sounds perfect. 3-5k a year is pretty light 'daily' use. I've used a 964 like this before (and I live in London), and my 993 has covered more than your estimates as a second/third car.

The 993 is a great car to drive. It is absolutely nothing like using a 'pogo' stick to go to work on or a 'BMX' (I've had both :grin: ). Offset pedals I sometimes read about and every time wonder what people are going on about? I suspect it may be something that exaggerates with different driver heights or limited mobility? They make absolutely no difference to me and not something I can say I have ever noticed. It is no heavier on fuel than a 997/987 generation car and certainly a lot more usable than the Boxster I had. They are super comfortable to drive, are cool, unpretentious happy to go anywhere cars.

Your £2k yearly service budget may or may not be enough, and mine has not been that economical to run the past few years but some of that will come down to the condition it is in when you buy it. Old and complex suspension, engine rebuilds and leaks, aircon that does not work, clutches, paint work and corrosion... none of it comes cheap, repairs to anything will be expensive but then you also get zero depreciation.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

:thumbs:

Appreciate everyone's comments and of course understand the thought of dailying a 993 will have little appeal to some.

I do have some reference points and looking for something that sits somewhere between an Elise and 996. The 996 was too GT like and the Elise too compromised, but want to be closer to the 996 than Elise. I think the 993 offers a truely unique package which I hope will be perfect for me. I live in the sticks and have a short commute into the city, and won't be spending much time sat in traffic.

I've also done the two cars thing and just doesn't work for me. The weekend car doesn't get used enough to justify the cost of ownership, and the daily which suffers wear and tear costing almost as much to maintain.

I also like the 993 image which is important as I need to think about the message I'm giving to my team and clients.

The image thing is a double edged sword.
Flash car = he's overpaid.
Crap car = he must be rubbish.
944 = what's that?

Hi orangefender - I use my 993 as a daily driver...indeed, it is my only car. I bought one that was mechanically well looked after to start with and from someone I trusted (having read up on him...Ray Northway).

I think you'll have a blast!

highway said:
or bowl a hoop with a stick.

I'd want to get one inspected if I was looking to buy.

Perhaps getting ahead of myself but I'm just starting to think about a couple of jobs.

Has anyone had their 993 rust protected underneath with waxoil or an equivalent? Is it something worth doing?

How easy it is to change the colour of the dash guages?

Waxoyl is pretty old hat now and as the chassis is galvanised corrosion is not a major problem but there are several weak areas. Most notorious are the rear chassis legs, and corners of the front screen, occasionally outer sills and rear screen corners. Dynawax and Dinitrol are very good products.
The rear chassis legs are a must to check if not already done.
I used Eastwood chassis protector internally on the rear chassis legs, it's very thin and clingy gets everywhere and sets to a tough finish but it's not pretty looks like thin green snot.
I have used Wurth chassis wax on the suspension components it does the job but is sticky and soon gets discoloured by road dirt.
Best protection imho is regular thorough washing, use a good wax Zymol, Meguairs and never ever use it when the road is gritted.
Changing dial faces is possible, expensive and I don't like it.
Check out Jackal's site for great info on how to be ocd in a nice way.
http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/993/chassisSupports/chassissupports.htm

Case in point, as Endoman says... After and before...

Attachments

• chasis_leg_993__633.jpg
    chasis_leg_993__633.jpg
    809.6 KB · Views: 3,262
  • img_0184_615.jpg
    img_0184_615.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 3,262
  • img_0190_424.jpg
    img_0190_424.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 3,262
  • img_0230_283.jpg
    img_0230_283.jpg