Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery charging options

Littlered996

Hi all.
I have the usual winter battery woes and have invested in a CTEK CT5. I have no power in the garage, so it will be a question of occasional charging, rather than trickle charge. The options seem to be (1) park the car outside the house and run an extension cable across the pavement or (2) remove the battery and charge it in the house.
I'm nervous of removing the battery and would prefer to charge it in the car. Is the only option to attach the charger to the battery direct, or can I use the jump start points in the engine bay?
Simon

You can buy an extra lead that allows you to charge directly through the "cigarette lighter" or whatever you are supposed to call the 12V socket in these non-smoking days. The Ctek should also come with a set of short leads with rings you can attach direct to the battery terminals which will replace the crocodile clips. Can't imagine its a great idea to have to keep dis- and re-connecting the battery - bound to scramble some bit of the electrics, codes etc.
If you don't have power what about a solar charger - never used one myself so not sure how good they are, especially in a dull winter.

Cheers..Ian

No problem with disconnecting the battery. Key to ignition position 1 and remove it. You will need to enter the radio code and reset the clock when it is reconnected. The only problem is that you can't lock the passenger door with it disconnected. Mine is probably disconnected 10 times a year for one thing or another.
I would connect eyelets to the battery and run an extension lead. Taking the battery out regularly would be a real pain.

MC

I think the jump points in the boot are fine or the cigarette lighter or you can just run the connector to the edge of the bonnet (I cannot find GT4's post on this but he extended the Optimate connector so that there was no need to pop the bonnet for connection or disconnection of the trickle charger).

Pip

I have a ctek and find the cigarette lighter attachment the most useful. I first had the battery wired onto the quick connector they also sell but found the wires draping out of the bonnet over the wing started to mark the paintwork after a while.

The cigarette lighter also has a handy traffic light led indicator for battery state. Easily plugs into the passenger foot well socket.

Great. Thanks one and all. Sounds like the lighter socket's the way to go. I thought maybe that was just for trickle charging.
I know you like a photo.

Attachments

• 26e32199_115c_494f_ba0c_7d2d4809002d_238.jpeg
    26e32199_115c_494f_ba0c_7d2d4809002d_238.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,482
Welcome little red 996. :thumb:

Lovely colour. Is it Velvet red. Rare on a 996.

I have done what MC suggests and have a lead I made up with eyelets. I fit it to every car I buy and have an extension piece to get from that lead to the charger.
Cigarette lighter is another easy way though, as mentioned.

I normally just plug in at the battery terminals, leave the charger and extension lead in the trunk, the lid closes on the wire easily.. extension lead goes under garage door.
Is there a chance of screwing with the electronics doing it this way?

ballcock said:
I normally just plug in at the battery terminals, leave the charger and extension lead in the trunk, the lid closes on the wire easily.. extension lead goes under garage door.
Is there a chance of screwing with the electronics doing it this way?

Maybe not on older cars, but in newer cars yes. The correct way is to connect to the battery positive and chassis earth. This way the car can sense the battery condition through the various electronics, otherwise they go haywire.

Orient red.
Thanks for the battery thoughts. I'm still intrigued by the charging points in the engine bay. Presumably there's a good reason why Porsche advises using them for jump starts and wonder whether the same applies to charging?
Simon

Would it be feasible to rig up a solar charger at the garage? You can get kit for narrowboats to maintain battery charge whilst moored up.

Ian

Paynewright said:
Would it be feasible to rig up a solar charger at the garage? You can get kit for narrowboats to maintain battery charge whilst moored up.

Ian

was about to suggest this, a 20-50W solar panel, cheap ish charge controller and ciggy adapter and you're good to go. amazon.

Someone here has done this in their garage, can't quite remember who:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back