Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 PSE exhaust replacement

996 Porkster

Hey all. Not long into the ownership of a 2003 carrera 2 (3 weeks). It has the PSE exhaust and Just had the car serviced at HP Motorsport in Essex and been told the seams in the rear boxes have split. I've heard that the Top Gear exhaust is a good replacement for the PSE boxes as you can wire it up to the existing dash mounted switch. I've also seen this Spyder Performance exhaust and just wondered whether any of you guys have any experience with this system and what noise is like compered to the standard PSE system. Any comments on the quality of the exhaust would also be welcome.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https:%2...

There's also a designtek exhaust from Design911, but would be grateful for your advice /opinions on a replacement for the PSE exhaust
Many thanks

Had similar problems with my pse (also corroded tube on one side). Went for the Top Gear switchable system with 200 cell cats. Took a trip to Bridport for TG to fit it, and they connected the valve system to the existing switch.
The noise is pretty brutal on loud when you give it some gas :D
Quiet is considerably less noisy, but I rarely use it in quiet as the noise is addictive on loud.

Hi I had PSE on my C4S, and replaced with Top Gear. They are slightly louder in "off" mode, and 30-40% louder in "on" mode.

The noise in Loud, is not quite as rich as the PSE, but overall I think it is great.

If your seams can be welded, I would go for that and budget for a set of TG in a few years.

Paul

Thanks guys. I think I'll give PCW a ring about getting the seams welded while I save up for the Top Gear exhaust. Nobody had any experience with the Spyder Performance exhaust I guess?

I had a pse on my C4S which needed replacing. I looked at all the different options available and spoke to people about the options available. I didn't want anything too loud and definitely didn't want anything that droned.
I wanted a pse but made the mistake of purchasing a Kline system with 200 cel cats. In my opinion it's ruined the car. Not a patch on the sound of pse and the drone you get between 2000/3000 rpm is bloody awful, it hurts your ears. I've had the car ten years and thought I'd keep it forever but it's ruined my enjoyment of the car. I'll never purchase an aftermarket exhaust again. I'd stick with a pse.

I have a spyder performance switchable system. Stock cats. The system switches using a remote. It defaults to valves open so I rarely use the fob. I find valves open gives a nice sound, no drone and considerably cheaper than pse.

I have come across posts where people have diy'd the original pse button to operate aftermarket systems.

All in all no complaints. I'm considering sports cats to increase sound

It's the addition of 200cell cats that make the sound offensive, if you have standard back boxes it's OK, if you have sports back boxes it's usually too much. At least having switchable boxes you can select the least offensive sound when required.

I have 200cell and pse. It's a bit stupid on full loud.

I went for the Carnewal option, sounds as good if not better than the PSE it replaced (same issue as yours). You won't be eligible for a swap as yours are split, but call up Gert and see what he has in stock.

It's not switchable but that doesn't really matter as it's not intrusive or droney when driving gently.

Having had TG 200 cell cats and switchable back boxes for nearly a year, I agree with the comments made already.

Horses for courses, and everyone has differing thresholds on noise, but the loud setting is too much for me (particularly on a vanilla C2), so has been used for all of about 2 miles in that year. Having said that I am happy with the quiet mode, and the option is always fun if you fancy scaring some folk...!

Also agree, while the TG Sound is good, it's not quite so sophisticated / rich as the PSE equipped cars i've Heard over the years. Wouldn't let that put you off though - especially with the price differential...

Having not noticed any perceivable performance benefit, I would just do switchable boxes first, then cats as a stage 2 for a bit more if I did it again, as there is little extra cost in a staged approach.

M96 makes a very good point and as much as exhaust note is a very personal thing its also important to consider what your putting it on and super sound or full sports boxes may be ok on a loud and lairy car with wings, lowered and things but if your ride is a stock car in a mild colour then maybe the mild sports options would suit the car better than a gates of hell opening exhaust. :thumb: topgear do both mild and loud options :thumb: and dont forget forum members get 10% discount as Topgear are a site sponsor :grin: :thumb:

Although I've only had the C2 for just over 3 weeks, I absolutely love the sound of the PSE. There doesn't appear to be any aftermarket systems that offer the same or similar sound. As before, I think I'll get the seams welded for now and look into a TG switchable system later down the line.

Lukec4s said:
I have a spyder performance switchable system. Stock cats. The system switches using a remote. It defaults to valves open so I rarely use the fob. I find valves open gives a nice sound, no drone and considerably cheaper than pse.

I have come across posts where people have diy'd the original pse button to operate aftermarket systems.

All in all no complaints. I'm considering sports cats to increase sound

I was close to going for these boxes until I heard that the default is loud.. so every time you start the car it's on loud, right?
I need stealth mode on startup to creep away from the house st unsociable hours.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back