Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mysterious water leak

deMort said:
Stuff me .. you jammy git !!

You cant get a cheaper repair than that :thumb:

Ive not seen a clip like that fall appart before .. but they are certainly showing their age these days and i usually replace then when im working on your cars .

That's how I roll :thumb:

NedHan79 said:
The rest of the clips that I could see weren't too bad. It's maybe just that those ones sit quite low and get all the abuse from road grime.
I'd say the rest will definitely need to be checked as I wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere for the sake of a 20p part.

I'll make sure there's no more leaks before I flush it.
My air cons not working, not sure if it's a regas job or a bit more sinister but I might just rip it out and do without it as I'm more of a windows down type of guy. That should help with the temperatures, not that there's any issues but no point having something I'd never use

Get your aircon fixed, you won't want the windows down on the motorway and it will be far too hot without (unless you have a sun roof?)

NedHan79 said:

I would use a better quality worm drive clip than that.
Those dig into the rubber.
Good news on the easy fix though :thumb:

Hi Maldren, I have a sunroof.
My car will only do long trips/motorway maybe once or twice a year. It generally only does a few blasts round home. It's only a toy I use to blow the cobwebs out.

I get what you are all saying but I'll probably do away with it at some stage.
I'm guessing this is the car that I'll keep so resales not an issue.

Paynewright said:
De Mort,

What do you replace with - like for like or a jubilee style clip?

Ian

I prefer to use the same clips .. after all that one that failed is going to be 15 years old ..

Im afraid though a lot of these have been superseded to jubilee clips by Porsche these days ..

Theres nothing wrong with that but they do tend to eat into the pipe a bit if really tightened up ... they dont last as long either .

Ghianightmare said:
The coolant tank is much bigger than you think - have a look at MCs recent photo. You only see a small part of the tank when you are looking in the engine bay!

I think - from memory - that to top up the tank from the low level to max level is about 2 liters, so if it dropped half a liter, you mightn't notice it. Particularly in the area around the bottle seam/lip.

For the large tank it is around 0.5l from min to max. 3.75l total tank capacity. 2l loss takes it well below minium but still plenty in the tank.

MC

1/2 a litre probably sounds about right. All fixed now either way.

I've got my front springs fitted and broke the lock nut at the rear so I'm waiting on a tool to remove them. One over those sorted I'll move onto the next job.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back