Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

4 years on. What now ?

T8

Super Moderator
I can't believe that it's 4 years ago today that I took this photograph to celebrate the purchase of my 'new' mistress.

The 996T was only kept for a few weeks after the picture was taken as I soon realised that she'd hardly be used and I didn't have the facility to garage two cars. With hindsight I could have paid to put her in storage for 6 months and still made a few extra £k but, hey-ho, that's history now.

At some time over the last six months I had hoped to recreate this picture with a 991S taking the place of the 996T but sadly the current flat market for these cars hasn't allowed it. I wasn't intending to be greedy by keeping two 911s but I did want to 'hedge my bets' by not selling 'Red' until her successor was in place. Sadly the supply of sub-£55k 991S cars seems to have dried up since Christmas so the likelihood of me finding the one I want before the 2019 driving season gets underway seems remote.

More recently I decided that I couldn't take the risk of having money tied up in two depreciating assets so took the decision to part with my current car first. Sadly this hasn't materialised either because I haven't received an offer for my beautiful red car of anything like what it's worth to me.

My quandary now is whether to (a) leave the 997T on the market and wait or (b) to put my search for a newer car on hold for 12-14 months and get on with enjoying the delights of a 997 turbo all over again.

It' s often said that 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' and, after nearly 6 months apart, I'm starting to realise that this might be the case for me and 'Red'. The only reason for me deciding to change in the first place was that after nearly 4 years and over 21k miles the time just felt right. It wasn't an easy decision to make and it took quite a while for me to come to terms with it.

Perhaps fate is keeping us together. :dont know:

Nope time to change :thumb: Everyone is rooting for you on getting a 991!

Really feel your pain, realistically you need more money or a period without a 911 after the sale of red for 991's to depreciate more? (Not as we want them to depreciate lol)

Life is too short, and although the 997 turbo I'm sure is brilliant, the 991 is something else and well worth the wait :thumb:

If you keep red and add more miles, surely your problems just get worse. Mileage is the killer :nooo:

996T....997T hard act to follow, are you sure a 991S will live up to the last two? :?:

I'm sure you will find one this year T. The positive is free winter storage. Sunshine is coming out 1st March...

The spring always starts a reshuffle of ownership which makes a lot more available.

You have probably thought of this. But would the dealer keep marketing the car whilst you drive it a bit? Red has always looked showroom ready to me wherever I've seen it :thumbs:

Rojdog said:
996T....997T hard act to follow, are you sure a 991S will live up to the last two? :?:

You're right about them both being hard acts to follow. After 6 years of enjoying the torque that makes these cars so driveable and the occasional turbo 'rush' I will miss it but sadly there's no choice if I want to get into a newer 911 for less than £55k.

I've driven several 991s and see the 'S' as the best compromise. Nowadays it's getting more and more difficult to exploit the performance of any seriously fast car in the UK. I think/hope that 400 bhp will still be enough to make my twice-yearly jaunts to 'The Fatherland' fun.

I'm getting older too. :sad:

Hoping my opinion isn't to controversial but I would keep the Turbo. You know mechanically there is nothing wrong with it as I'm guessing you have looked after it well. Even when you buy a newer car with good history it is still the unknown if there are issues. Ever since I brought my Gen 2 Carrera S even though I did a PPI which had good report I have still thrown quite a bit of money to make it perfect.

There is no crystal ball that can really predict the future but your spec and colour surely will make your car go back to commanding a premium in the short/medium future.

991 are looking great cars. For me the 997 is the sweet spot.

Geezer 911 said:
Hoping my opinion isn't to controversial but I would keep the Turbo. You know mechanically there is nothing wrong with it as I'm guessing you have looked after it well.

You could say that. :thumb:

It's the main reason I'm seriously now considering sticking.

Without doubt you should keep the turbo.Absolutely killer looks and performance and a Porsche made by Porsche before the nonsense interference by VW :thumb:

T8 (Terry), out of curiosity I just did a search on Autotrader for 2007-8 997 Turbo coupe tips, any miles. Thirteen cars, including yours, came up (well, one is LHD so ignore that). If you order them in mileage, yours comes out 11th of 13.
Don't get me wrong, I doubt any of them are as well kept as yours, and I would never be so rude as to comment adversely on your sale or chosen price - your call, naturally.

OK, my point; your choice might boil down to this:
1) keep it, enjoy a car you know inside out, in short - love it, or
2) list it (can you spot the Kirsty and Phil theme?) but for, say £6k less than currently on Autotrader for - i.e. sub £50k. I know it's on here for £50k but I guess that's rather a small audience
3) do nothing and wait for summer, see what happens.

Probably unhelpful, sorry, but just my thoughts. If it was me I'd do 2) and save up for the next one, but that's just me.
Regards, Mike.

Surely red can't depreciate much more over the next 12months and less than a 991 will. Confidence in the market may return after Brexit, are prospective buyers just holding back at the moment?
One more season with red and perhaps everything becomes clearer.

I think you made a telling comment in your original post - 'I haven't received an offer for my beautiful red car of anything like what it's worth to me'

I know it's a cliche, but your car will only ever be worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Maintaining a mass produced sports car is usually a labour of love, that unfortunately does not add a huge amount of ££'s value. IMHO you either need to continue waiting for the guy at the end of the rainbow, or bite the bullet and accept an offer nearer the market value.

TonyC911 said:
I think you made a telling comment in your original post - 'I haven't received an offer for my beautiful red car of anything like what it's worth to me'

I know it's a cliche, but your car will only ever be worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Maintaining a mass produced sports car is usually a labour of love, that unfortunately does not add a huge amount of ££'s value. IMHO you either need to continue waiting for the guy at the end of the rainbow, or bite the bullet and accept an offer nearer the market value.

+1 , the harsh reality, it's a stunning car, but the mileage will always work against it, keeping for longer can only add to that problem. Mileage as we know has a huge affect on prices with Porsche.

991 more man maths, more money! You only live once (I'm an expert at the adding more money part :frustrated:)

Big thanks to everybody for your contributions. You all clearly understand my situation as none of you have said anything that I haven't already said to myself at some time over the last 6 months. :)

My biggest frustration is that I made the decision to change cars early last summer but left it until the end of August before doing anything about it - by which time the market for these cars had started to slow significantly.

From the start I'd calculated that my long held adoration for the 991, in 2S guise, to me was worth, at most, £7k over the value that I put on my beloved 'Red'. My primary motivation was that I'd be getting into a five year newer car with 20k less miles on the clock and would still have 400 horses to have fun with.

I recognised that the only way I was going to achieve that £7k 'cost to change' was to sell my car privately or through SoR. Part-Exchange was never going to be an option open to me.

Since my car has been for sale I have watched the market for all 911s in the £45k-£60k bracket like a hawk and know just how few have sold in that time. Asking prices for some cars have fallen but even that has made very little difference. I've been around long enough to know that if a car is of interest to someone they would be quick to view it and make an offer. All asking prices are negotiable - even when a car has already been reduced - so I've deliberately chosen to keep my starting price constant. If a serious buyer came along I'd be happy to talk but it certainly won't be leaving me at anything like 'trade money'.

As I said previously, I'm in the fortunate position that should the right 991S come along I would be able to buy it and worry about the sale of 'Red' afterwards. In the current market this would be far less palatable but it does show that neither 'saving up' or utilising my degree in 'man-maths' are relevant to my situation.

I have done some soul-searching to establish whether my original £7k 'cost to change' budget is flexible and have concluded that, for the right 991S, it might be but that doesn't alter the fact that the right 991S would need to come along before my desire to get driving a 911 again takes hold.

Going back to my first post on this thread my dilemma remains as to whether I should (a) wait a bit longer to see what the Spring market is like or (b) keep the car I already love for a while longer and take the risk that the depreciation cost for adding extra miles will not exceed the 'depreciation by age' that early 991s will endure.

I know it's a 'first-world' situation that I am in but that doesn't make it any less frustrating for me.
:frustrated:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back