Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wire from engine bay to dash

andyobro

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

I need to get a single wire from the engine bay to the dash for a little project. Wondering if anyone knows of a spare wire in the wiring harness that I could use?

Or if anyone has a wiring diagram to help me find one.

The other option would be to run a new wire, but not liking the thought of having to remove the rear shelf, seat and carpets to get one in if I can do it the other way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used one of the spoiler raising wires when I put the fixed wing on to intercept a reverse signal for the Becker. You could run a wire along the inner sill following the main engine harness feed but as you say it's not easy and you've got all that glue to contend with.
If you look at the l/h fuel rail there will probably be some unused connectors cable tied to it. They are on my non vram car not sure where they go though. There may be a cruise control loom, rare on UK models but common in the States.
I've retro fitted Vram, obc and 3rd brake light a lot of the wiring was already there. Negotiating the wiring diagram is fun.

I'm thinking of using the wire for the fan belt sensor as I'm not using that. But can't find any wiring diagrams as yet to see if that's possible 🤔

I found the wiring diagram online via a Rennlist post. You need volume 7.
it's like unravelling spagetti. Your suggestion should work, if you pull the clock look for same colour code wire. All at your own risk of course I managed to kill a radio once.

Hi andyobro,

I have a wiring diagram which I used when I needed to get additional wires from the ECU to the back of the car for installing my CAT (my car was without a CAT as it ran on leaded fuel in Kuwait) The file is too big to load up but if you send me a PM with your email address I'll send it to you if it will help.

ATB :)

Don't be phased by removing the back shelf etc, if you need to. It really isn't a hard job at all.
I have done it a couple of times to get to the wiper motor relay. It doesn't help that I'm over six feet and have cram myself in the back, but it's only four screws and a couple of seat belt bolts IIRC.
Good luck.

Thanks to Endoman and Graham for the wiring diagram leads.

Had a good look through the diagrams, but no clear route from engine to dash of any unused wires, everything seems to go through the control units under the seat.

So decided to run my own wire. As Citori says, the rear parcel shelf comes out pretty easy, 4 visible screws and the lower seat belt bolts, undo the speaker wires and its out. Getting the screws back in is not so easy as it is blind to get the screws into the speed nuts behind. I found a very good torch helps.

There is a large grommet just behind the carpet on the LHS (facing back of car), peel the carpet back a bit to see. I popped a small hole in the grommet and popped my wire through inside some wiring sleeve. I then ran the wire in its sleeve just under the rear armrest panel (no need to remove) just lift and push under. I then removed the plastic carpet trim along the bottom of the door shut. There is enough room to run one wire in a sleeve under here safely. Popped that back down and then just routed up to the dash behind the little panel in the foot well.

I would want to run more than one wire this way as not enough room under the carpet trim, but decided I didn't want to take out the seat and start lifting the carpet for just the one wire I needed.

Mission complete :) Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back