Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Becker CDR-21 no backlight

Nij4

Silverstone
Hi, I bought a Becker CDR21 off eBay and plugged it into the original wiring harness and it all works - except I have no illumination. While installing a CDR21 unit did any of you guys have the same problem? I would appreciate if someone could tell me how I can fix it.

The unit looks ace in the car.... and it's another purchase ticked off the make it original list.

Thanks all

Ha ha .... was just researching the same for a CR 21 and came across this post ... great minds. Suspect it's a replacement bulb and soldering job and not just a fuse . Good luck .

On further google investigations...it looks like pin 6 on the wiring harness is blank - this is needed for illumination. So guess I need to insert a new wire and figure where to tap power from.

Let us know! I'm so fed up of trying to skip songs at night and hitting the wrong button. :thumb:

nickpan said:
Let us know! I'm so fed up of trying to skip songs at night and hitting the wrong button. :thumb:

I will do....but i'm sure one of our 993 friends will let us know shortly, a stereo with lights not working is just unacceptable....and I know there are a few brave individuals who drive at night....I have not yet, but Tore HID conversion next on my to do list.

Nij4 said:
nickpan said:

I will do....but i'm sure one of our 993 friends will let us know shortly, a stereo with lights not working is just unacceptable....and I know there are a few brave individuals who drive at night....I have not yet, but Tore HID conversion next on my to do list.

Let's hope so!

My car had the tore HID conversion when I purchased it but I reversed the upgrade to stock after a few months. The HIDs were highly effective but the colour and style of light they emit didn't feel in keeping with the car.

The candle light I now have is perfectly adequate for London and the SE where I live.

nickpan said:
Nij4 said:
nickpan said:

Let's hope so!

My car had the tore HID conversion when I purchased it but I reversed the upgrade to stock after a few months. The HIDs were highly effective but the colour and style of light they emit didn't feel in keeping with the car.

The candle light I now have is perfectly adequate for London and the SE where I live.
Tore's kit comes in 2 variants - your car may have simply had the bluer version installed:

"4300K light colour resembles the colour of the original Porsche Litronic HID lights. 6000K has a bit more blue tint to the light."

Not sure I could go back to standard!

The original car radio harness has no wire for head unit illumination. You have to check where this signal is supposed to be, I guess it is ISO pin A6. I always get the dashboard illumination signal from the ashtray light wiring, this is easily reachable through the radio opening.
Cheers,
Tore

ToreB said:
The original car radio harness has no wire for head unit illumination. You have to check where this signal is supposed to be, I guess it is ISO pin A6. I always get the dashboard illumination signal from the ashtray light wiring, this is easily reachable through the radio opening.
Cheers,
Tore

That's brilliant thank you Tore!

Hi Nij4

How did you get on with this?

I recently fitted a CDR-21 in mine (they do look so good don't they :thumb: )

However, I actually took a drive in the dark last night and suddenly realised mine isn't illuminated either!
I think with winter coming I really need to get this fixed.

Cheers

I went for the lazy option and piggybacked the switched live power to the radio, so the radio illumination is always on when the ignition is on.

I've currently got a VDO branded Continental unit, but just won an Indianapolis Pro on eBay so will modify the wiring as per Tore's suggestion before I install it.

:thumb:

Thanks to Tore as usual for the help - this is now fixed. Though it isn't that staright forward....

The pin required is ISO A6 (orange) - but there isn't even a pin in A6 on the factory blocks.
Luckily I had a spare set of ISO blocks with fly leads (you can buy a set for fiver though), but then had to try and get no. A6 out to swap it over. A quick Google found a Youtube clip showing how to do this with a hairclip - and then just shoved it in the factory block after resetting the clip.
Then you have to get upside down in the footwell to get the ash tray out and find the supply to the bulb, and feed the fly lead to here and connect up. Like everything in a '993 - it's as though all the parts were shrink wrapped to fit - so there is no space for a large connector here - use a small bullet.
Slap it all back in the dash and turn the lights on - it illuminates!

While I was in there, I took the opportunity to remove the original 'Big Lead' that feeds the original CD changer. I removed the CD changer 8 years ago, but left the cable in situ as it goes through the bulkhead.
Wow - this cable was 5 metres long! In a straight line, the CD changer would have been about 30" away.... I guess this was a standard item for cars with the CD changer in the boot?

Very happy now though. Yes, the Alpine had Bluetooth, USB, Phone, CD and Radio - but it looked like it belonged on the starship enterprise. The CDR-21 may only have radio and single CD, but that's all I need and it looks bloody great :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back