Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Cayenne owner

Do you know what side the loom comes through on the tailgate - OS or NS and is it accessed internally or externally? I need to remove the spoiler and take a look at the rear wash facility as currently no water comes out. Checked the nozzle it's clear and I can hear the pump running so I am assuming the pipe has disconnected somewhere along it's run.

Still haven't gotten round to looking properly at the front lights.

On a positive note the drivers side window regulator was replaced last Friday so now I don't have the embarrassment of having to open the door to get a ticket when entering multi-storey car parks or visiting the local tip! I also had the drivers door lock mechanism replaced whilst it was apart as it turns out the lock was faulty. When I bought the car I noticed that the puddle lights would flick on and off - apparently that's the sign of a faulty door lock according to the garage. Who would have thought? I was really impressed with Motortune in Shotts who did the work and will be back in the future.

The new touchscreen head unit is now installed after it transpired that the harness was the fault. The black box that must contain the DAC for the MOST adaptor was duff. It's great having Spotify, Android Auto and Apple Carplay in the car compared to the old PCM 2.1 unit that was in it.

Yes you can but not on my car as my steering wheel doesn't have the controls. The box of tricks is there to do it but it's not plugged in on my car. I can post up a link to the harness and fitting kit if you are interested? It's by Connects2 and from memory was around £180 but that included the fascia adapter, double din cage and other wiring you need to get the aerial, etc working. I've used Connects2 steering wheel control adaptors on my previous 2 cars and they have worked perfectly.

This is the kit here but you need to add on the stalk patch lead which is specific to the head unit manufacturer. Note that this is specifically for cars with the Bose stereo running the fibre optic amp. One thing to note is that you cannot retain the fader controls on the stereo with this harness as it has to convert an analogue signal to a digital signal to send to the amp. Balance controls are retained and it still sounds excellent with music.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/con...n-kit-for-porsche-cayenne-fibre-amp-2002-2007

You also need to add an aerial adaptor to interface between the adaptor included in this kit and the aerial that comes from the head unit.

Here: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/acc...rs/ct27aa01-aerial-antenna-iso-to-din-adaptor

If you are intending to install a head unit with Android Auto beware that in some instances you must connect a lead (light green one marked 'parking brake' on the head unit loom) from the head unit to either the parking brake or earth it to the car body as some manufacturers don't allow operation unless this is done (safety thing apparently). If you opt to earth it to the body it tricks it and you can run video, TV, etc whilst on the move. I found out the hard way as it was not noted in the instructions that you had to do this! Android Auto is also very fussy with the cable you connect your phone to the head unit with. Apple Carplay seems much less fussy cablewise and connects easier.

Grrr - what is it with Cayenne door locks! After replacing the driver's side last week the passenger front door refused to shut this morning after frost last night. Took about 20 minutes after the car had warmed up for it to finally work. I'm assuming it's freezing up overnight in cold conditions but it was only -1 last night at best, hardly what I would term very cold. Didn't Porsche test these cars in cold weather during the development stage?!!!

A quiet month since I last posted with just the usual front door lock issues and inserting fuel in the car! I've purchased a replacement front headlight washer unit to replace my leaking one and fitted a cubby hole to the rear centre console removing the blanking panel that was in it's place. Gives the kids somewhere to stick their phones!

I've done a bit of interior cleaning to the leather as it was fairly grubby. The front passenger seat always looked a bit dodgy to the base with two of the leather panels a darker shade than the others. It turns out that one of the previous 2 owners must have used a colouring kit on it to hide damage. I have managed to remove it but the leather is worn off and looking at the colour I think it's possibly blue dye from denims. I've managed to find a pair of identical seats on ebay in much better condition than mine and for a good price so they're being delivered tomorrow and I'll try to get them fitted at the weekend. I've also replaced the gearbox surround trim as again, one of the previous owners tried to get creative and had sprayed the one in the car Lapis Blue to match the exterior. A great idea in principle but looked crap in reality! The one I picked up from Douglas Valley is a bit scratched so I might try and spray the blue one in silver and re-fit. The lighter colour one shown in the pics looks fine for now. I've attached a couple of before and afters for the head unit install. It looks a bit bare when switched off but I like the fact the plethora of buttons have now gone with removing the PCM 2.1. The new head unit can be tilted to different angles too which I thought was quite gimmicky but has actually proved really useful in the low winter sun.

Attachments

• porsche_pcm_157.jpg
    porsche_pcm_157.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5,662
And a pic of the car cleaned and on the winter alloys and tyres. Can't wait to get them off and the normal alloys back on but February and March are prime times for bad snow in Scotland. I inherited these from the previous owner - 18s which I think must be off a Q7 as the centre caps have Audi badges on them but have been sprayed out black!

Car paintwork actually comes up really well after washing but will be getting a bit of work done with a DA polisher come April and the (hopefully) better weather.

Attachments

• winter_alloys_171.jpg
    winter_alloys_171.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5,618
Theres not much i can say as you dont have a fault but i will say .. thanks ..

I like looking at pictures of Cayennes .

ref seats .. you have the option of connolising .. they paint the leather basically .. from what ive seen over the years .. its pretty good

You're welcome! I do have faults, it's just that I am ignoring them for now (still haven't got round to looking properly at the lights for example that you have advice on previously)!

The replacement seats arrived yesterday and they are in fantastic condition so I'll be sticking them in for now. I'm not familiar with connolising but perhaps I could experiment with my original seats once they are removed.

One thing I could do with advice on is removing and installing the front seats. I've done it a few times before with other cars and with electric ones with airbags and I correct in assuming I leave the battery connected so I can slide the chair back and forth to undo all the bolts then disconnect it before removing the electrical connections so I don't get an airbag fault light appearing afterwards? Are there any other quirks to removing Cayenne seats that I need to be aware of, ie needing coded to the car for example? Thanks

Front seat removal ..

Remove the carpet at the front .

Raise the seat as high as you can .

Pull off the plastic trims on the floor .. they pull upwards .

Hand under the seat .. the panel in front of the seat needs to be raised .. very little room .. but you raise it and pull back at the same time .. its cliped at the top basically and needs raiseing to release it .

Then slide the seat fully forwards .. go into the rear ..

Plastic covers over the seat rails .. these basically slide backwards to release .. im not going to argue here .. they can be a bitch to remove and refit and its not something i can explain here .. just have a good look at the fixing half way along .. you have to bend the cover to get it back on .

Ok so all covers removed so its back to the front .. x2 spline bolts hold the seat in position .. undo these and the seat will lift ..

Adjust the seat to go far forwards and up , seat back forwards and you will have access to the battery .. the seat tilts in other words after the front bolts have been removed .

To remove fully ..

:dont know:

lol .. im sure you will see after that :)

Cheers. That sounds like a complete ballache compared to a 'normal' car! Why do Porsche have to over-complicate everthing they manufacture?!

Couple of questions but I appreciate these may become apparent when I am actually in there getting my hands dirty:

1) Why do you need to get your hand under the seat and pull it/raise it then slide it? Don't you just use the electric motors to move it?

2) So battery does need disconnecting before unplugging the electrics? Do you have to leave the key in the ignition to prevent the alarm activating when doing any of this? I read a post on someone with a 996 having to leave it at position 1 to prevent this happening.

Cheers,

Scott

1/ its the panel in front of the seat that needs lifting not the actual seat .. youll see what i mean when you look at it ..

Put the seat as high as poss and as far back as poss .. you get your fingers on the top of this panel and lift up and also hitting the panel with your other hand helps it pop up .. you can then pull it out .

You might have access with the seat fully forwards .. i do it from the front though .

2/ Battery doesnt need to be disconnected to get the seat back .. the actual battery is under the seat so you cant actually do it anyway but there is an earth strap in front of the passenger seat .. you can disconnect it from there .

If you have a reason to disconnect it .. which would only be for things like replacing a starter or alternator then you dont need the key in the ignition .. you just need the car to be unlocked .

Ah, got it re the panel!

So back to the battery (apologies if I'm being thick) and I definitely can leave it connected when I fully remove the seats? I'm concerned about:

1) The airbag warning light coming up on the dash if I disconnect it whilst 'live'
2) The airbag in the seat activating when I am fannying around in there because it is still connected to the battery!

It's just from precautions taken on other cars I've owned but maybe this isn't applicable to Cayennes?

And subsequently found this: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...t_Seat_Removal/43-BODY-Front_Seat_Removal.htm

I missed this first time around. Welcome C74. :thumb:

To coin a used car dealers phrase these are a phenomenal amount of car for the money.
I'd be using 2 gallons a day just to get to work and back though. So over £50 per week before my weekend duties. :eek:

I'm glad it's being relatively good to you though. :thumb:

I'd love an '09 GTS in the dark red colour they do mind. 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back