Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RMS replacement

Hooner

Whats the best new seal to buy,
A porsche one or is there a better aftermarket version ? :dont know:

Hi,

The Porsche seal is fine - in my experience its normally the IMS seal thats weeping not the RMS.

They modified the seal around 10-12 years ago.
They have just recently changed the part number to 0PB.105.249 not sure why as it looks the same...

You need the proper installation tool and don't touch the sealing surface with your fingers!

Mike

sportsandclassic said:
Hi,

The Porsche seal is fine - in my experience its normally the IMS seal thats weeping not the RMS.

They modified the seal around 10-12 years ago.
They have just recently changed the part number to 0PB.105.249 not sure why as it looks the same...

You need the proper installation tool and don't touch the sealing surface with your fingers!

Mike

Ok thanks Mike :thumb:

I got my seal from EuroCarParts (via CP4L) very cheaply with discounts along with a sachs clutch and LUK DMS flywheel and all new bolts etc under £450.

It is an Elring seal marked 997.101.212.01 which was the latest part number at the time.

I borrowed a homemade tool from a member on here to draw it in evenly to the correct depth.

As above if you find its not leaking when you remove the flywheel, some say its best to leave it be.

Mine was weeping a little from the RMS but mainly from the IMS bearing cover which I re sealed after locking cams with a homemade tool and removing chain tensioners (which also got new seals).

Unless its actually dripping oil from the gearbox/engine join I wouldn't bother investigating, I was in for a clutch change anyway.

wasz said:
I got my seal from EuroCarParts (via CP4L) very cheaply with discounts along with a sachs clutch and LUK DMS flywheel and all new bolts etc under £450.

It is an Elring seal marked 997.101.212.01 which was the latest part number at the time.

I borrowed a homemade tool from a member on here to draw it in evenly to the correct depth.

As above if you find its not leaking when you remove the flywheel, some say its best to leave it be.

Mine was weeping a little from the RMS but mainly from the IMS bearing cover which I re sealed after locking cams with a homemade tool and removing chain tensioners (which also got new seals).

Unless its actually dripping oil from the gearbox/engine join I wouldn't bother investigating, I was in for a clutch change anyway.

As above if its in for a clutch then deal with it unless its dripping.

The IMS housing seal is normally the problem, even after the seal has been replaced we have seen these leak. We have for years now sealed the new seals into the engines and had zero issues.

Cheers guys, i do think it is the ims seal thats leaking but i thought i would order a rms seal just incase so i have to one hand if it is needed.
:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back