Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cluck when coming off and on the gas, the search continues??

Grey996

Nurburgring
As the title really, I've had a clunk for a while, sometimes I can live with it but other times (like now!) it really bugs me. It's noticeable more when coming off the gas, at low as well as high speeds but I can also blip the throttle to get it.

So far relevant work within the last 12 months includes replacing all my suspension, dropped by 30mm , new clutch and 997 shifter. New engine mounts and PowerFlex gearbox mount insert.

While I was under the car doing the suspension and mounts everything that else that needed it was cleaned, repainted and everything I could find with a bolt was checked to make sure all tight.

Reading around the only other suggestions I could find were the drive shaft CV joints but I'm not sure. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks

is your car 4wd?

i had a similar problem years ago with a C4S. In the end i lived with it but it felt like play between the gearbox and front diff.

:stay: My car does this and has similar mods, I'm pretty sure I started noticing the 'clunk' after I fitted the RSS engine mounts and Powerflex gearbox insert, it's on my list to investigate but I seem to have a pretty long 'to do' list :roll:

Thanks both.

Mines an 02 C2 with £126k, it does feel gearbox/drive shaft related.

I can't remember that it's always done it but it's certainly more noticeable. The suspension I did anyway but the gearbox and engine mounts I've done trying to sort the clunk.

It's play between you diff & pinion gear. You need to adjust the position using various thickness shims.

Edit: or your diff. bearings could also be worn.

Thanks Alex, i'll have a look into that, see if I can find a how to guide.

Mac996t said:
Could it be play in the dual mass flywheel?

Isn't the symptom of that juddering when setting off (as the clutch is engaged)?

Diff backlash sounds like this:

It certainly could be that, I felt quite hopeful with the mention of shims but that looks quite involved!

Any idea of cost?

I had a horrible clunk on/off power that I was convinced was my flywheel bolts come loose after I had it all apart. Had it on the ramps at my local garage and they said it was the coffin arms.

But it turned out to be the brace that runs left to right under the gearbox.

The bolts were tight, but I removed it again, cleaned up corrosion on the ends and mounting faces and re-torqued the bolts down and the clunk was gone.

Thanks, unfortunately I can't pin point when I started to notice it so I can trace back what might be the cause. When I stripped the suspension I did remove the braces, sand them back and repaint them. I'll certainly double check them though.

I'll try and record the noise but I don't think the camera will pick it up. I can feel it as well, not through the pedal or steering wheel but definitely from the back. It's one of those knocks that if someone else drove the car they might not even notice it but as it's my car it's bugging me.

Far more likely to be a worn dual mass flywheel than backlash in the diff.

If you jack up one of the rear wheels and put it in 1st gear then rotate the wheel you maybe able to reproduce the noise and track where it's coming from

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back