Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 4 GTS Help with Purchase

AMS911 said:
Thank you all for the replies appreciated very much !!

My apologies for not being more precise with the details...

So the car was as Squelch identified at OPC Chester and I have placed a holding deposit...

The car is in fact in excellent condition, except for the driver seat (a few light scratches in the headrest, due to the previous owner wearing a cap I assume) and the steering wheel which had seen some sweaty palms. Going off the rest of the interior it was mint, including the door cars, centre arm, gear lever, rear seats and the headlining which are usually tell tale signs of mileage.

Spec wise I believe the car to be heavily spec'd as it comes with Sports Chrono Plus, Dynamic Lights, Bose, Heated Seats, Guards Red Belts, Full Leather Dash, Sunroof, Sports steering wheel with the paddle shift and also the Porsche VTS system. I believe the only option really missing is the Dynamic suspension with the 20mm drop and LSD (not sure if this could be optioned on the 4GTS?)

The exterior of the car is immaculate in Basalt Black as I believe the previous owner has had the car wrapped in full PPF from front to back. So there are no scuffs or stone chips in the paint work.

Porsche Chester agreed to replace the steering wheel with a brand new unit and also fix the driver seat (which I have received pictures of and now also looks immaculate). They also included a private reg as part of the deal. All in all I'd say the car is excellent.

In terms of the 997 GTS vs the newer 991, I had driven a 991 previously which was an S and came with plenty of options and a sticker price of 98K. Imho I didn't like the drive and it just didn't feel special. I have yet to actually drive the 4GTS and the deal is subject to test drive, but on first impressions I feel it is more special and I actually prefer the interior.

^^ I also forgot to mention its actually a 4 owner car and has 32.5K on the clock. Full OPC history and will come with the 111 inspection and warranty etc.

I believe my initial description was due to me seeing the car as it had arrived, hadn't actually even been through the wash bay, but I'm glad I saw it as it was before any changes were made.

It reads well: not too many have such a high spec. I wouldn't worry about the suspension as a TPC Racing DSC box works wonders on the PASM (it's an invisible mod so it doesn't count), and I beleive that all 4S have a rear LSD.

I hope you're enjoying your new GTS OP. I've got a 2wd manual GTS coupe and love it....hard to put my finger on it but it feels more sporty than a 991 S. I think with the 991 S it feels like a Grand Tourer unless you really push it...then it feels like a Sport Car (and a very capable one). The 997 GTS on the other hand feels like a SPorts Car at lower speeds.

Hi all.. Thank you for the replies. Purchase has yet to be finalised as the car is going through all of its prep work. I have asked for a VAL reading to confirm mileage from the odometer and ECU. Can someone please reconfirm/explain the results? From my understanding there is only operating hours in Range 1 and 2. Range 3-6 all show 0. Total operating hours are 1001. The cars mileage on the odometer is 32195.

From my understanding roughly 1000 operating hours = 30K

Attachments

• val_results_1_201.png
    val_results_1_201.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,159
  • val_results_2_183.png
    val_results_2_183.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 2,159
Those are overrevs, which happened recently, or some of them did.

I shouldn't worry, these are mine,

Rev Range 1: 4363 @ 2180.4 Hrs 6800rpm

Rev Range 2: 691 @ 2180.4 Hrs 7000rpm

Rev Range 3: 41 @ 1969.9 Hrs 7200rpm

Rev Range 4: 4 @ 1559.2 Hrs 7700rpm

Rev Range 5: 3 @ 1559.2 Hrs 8200rpm

Rev Range 6: 1 @ 1559.2 Hrs 10200rpm

I would add that ranges 4,5,6 are a spurious glitch and not real over revs, if you want to find out the resulting figure you will see that 4,3,1 connot be real!
Over rev à· 3 = RPM over limit à· by rpm at time
(the 3 represents one half of the cylinders)
Just bounced it off the limit a couple of times. 2315.2 hours now.

Being a PDK overrevs are very hard to achieve (not impossible though) since the gearbox electrickery will not allow a downshift even in manual mode if the road speed means doing so will force engine speed into the higher overrev ranges. Ranges 1 and 2 as shown in your data are at or below the rev limiter.

From your data you can calculate the car has spent 24.5 seconds in Range 1 (7300-7500rpm I think) and less than a second in Range 2 (7500-7700rpm I think). Remember though that the GTS has a higher rev limit than a standard 911 and I don't think the overrev reader takes that into account (it reads it as if it were a standard Carrera) so for the GTS you could argue that Range 1 and 2 are not actually "overrevs" as such.

Circa 25 seconds of overrevs may sound alarming but remember that's not continuously and is across the operating hours of the engine - I don't think it's possible to tell exactly when they happened as the hours recorder just shows the last occurrence (which admittedly is relatively recent in your case).

Porsche has relaxed its previously stringent warranty-ability criteria regarding overrevs and I believe that they pretty much disregard the data in the case of PDK cars anyway.

In summary, while it's nice to have a "clean sheet" the data you've shown would not worry me in the slightest (assuming everything else points towards a well looked after car). And as you're buying from an OPC you should have a couple of years warranty with it anyway. Relax and enjoy :thumb:

I'm happy to be corrected but that's my understanding / interpretation of the data.

AMS911 said:
Can someone please reconfirm/explain the results? From my understanding there is only operating hours in Range 1 and 2. Range 3-6 all show 0. Total operating hours are 1001. The cars mileage on the odometer is 32195.

From my understanding roughly 1000 operating hours = 30K

This info on rev-ranges is useful

http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

Regarding using the operating hours to corroborate mileage it's not an exact science but an average of 30 mph is usually recognised in the UK so 1000 hours would normally equate to c30k miles.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back