Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

pdk steering wheel change help

love154

Trainee
Hi i have a my2009 c4s and would like to change the steering wheel. i have the multi function at the mo.. have had a search in the forum but could not find what i was looking for. Can i fit a paddle wheel with multi function to my car. if so any body no how hard and expensive it is to do.

thanks

Yes, you can fit the newer style paddleshift steering wheels, but it's not completely straightforward. You will need a wiring loom adapter from a company called gpsadapter (https://gpsadapter.us).
I fit a 2015 Macan steering wheel to my 2010 C4S.

It depends.... if its a 2009 Gen 2 model its a straight swap if its a Gen 1 then you'll need an adapter as per above

No, you need the adapter to fit the later wheels to a 997.2.

As others are saying the 997.2/991.1 sports wheel never came with MF so you must be wanting to fit the 991.2 later wheel with the MF and paddles , you will need the newer domed airbag, and the adapter from the guy in the USA in the link above.

forum member Nigel99 has done it so you could PM him with questions . I am sure other have but I have seen Nigels .

Attachments

• img_7455_019c8798941e578aa7109b0097bed1d4e41b50c2_192.jpg
    img_7455_019c8798941e578aa7109b0097bed1d4e41b50c2_192.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2,076
Sound expensive will I need to change the loom if I just go for paddles

love154 said:

About 18 mths ago I enquired about a 991 at an OPC that had thumb changers......they quoted £600 to retrofit a paddle wheel.

If you tackle it yourself....remember to disconnect the battery before you start (airbag).

Rhodris-dad said:
love154 said:

About 18 mths ago I enquired about a 991 at an OPC that had thumb changers......they quoted £600 to retrofit a paddle wheel.

If you tackle it yourself....remember to disconnect the battery before you start (airbag).

I've just done this - 45 mins for an independent Porsche garage to do the change for me. Obviously I lost MF on my steering wheel but hey paddling is much more fun than thumbing! I do on occasions try to use the non-existent volume control on my spaddle steering wheel. My son smirks everytime that happens. Old habits die hard.

500 quid for the 2nd hand steering wheel and 50 quid for the garage.

love154 said:

No, if you just want the paddleshift steering wheel which was available with the 997 gen 2 as an extra, then you can swap over your airbag and install the steering wheel. This is assuming you have a gen 2 and also may need a device like the Foxconn or iCarsoft to disable the airbag light if it comes on.
I installed the MF paddleshift steering wheel and am very happy with the result, though there are a few items with the wheel that could cause an issue. If u decide do to go ahead with the MF change you can PM me.

Myasinax said:
love154 said:

No, if you just want the paddleshift steering wheel which was available with the 997 gen 2 as an extra, then you can swap over your airbag and install the steering wheel. This is assuming you have a gen 2 and also may need a device like the Foxconn or iCarsoft to disable the airbag light if it comes on.
I installed the MF paddleshift steering wheel and am very happy with the result, though there are a few items with the wheel that could cause an issue. If u decide do to go ahead with the MF change you can PM me.

Thanks for that. what did it end up costing you to get it all done

Agreed if you just want the 997.2 991.1 sports wheel with paddles instead of the 997.2 wheel with rockers thats a very easy swap but that wheel didn't come with an MF option so you would lose that ,other than that its pretty much plug and play and will use the same round flat airbag , so you just need the wheel.
I swapped mine to the sport one but in manual. :thumb:

Attachments

• img_2060_351.jpg
    img_2060_351.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,882
318touring said:
Rhodris-dad said:
love154 said:

I've just done this - 45 mins for an independent Porsche garage to do the change for me. Obviously I lost MF on my steering wheel but hey paddling is much more fun than thumbing! I do on occasions try to use the non-existent volume control on my spaddle steering wheel. My son smirks everytime that happens. Old habits die hard.

Was that on a 991.1? Asking because I have a MF wheel on mine and I'd rather paddle too, but apart from volume and phone control (which can also be done on the centre console) it has the thumbwheel that controls the menu and options in the instrument binnacle. I don't see another way of controlling that without the thumb wheel? Apparently cars without an MF wheel have an extra stalk on the column and need an additional interface to convert to a paddle wheel. is that what you had to do?

MJA911 said:
318touring said:
Rhodris-dad said:
love154 said:

Was that on a 991.1? Asking because I have a MF wheel on mine and I'd rather paddle too, but apart from volume and phone control (which can also be done on the centre console) it has the thumbwheel that controls the menu and options in the instrument binnacle. I don't see another way of controlling that without the thumb wheel? Apparently cars without an MF wheel have an extra stalk on the column and need an additional interface to convert to a paddle wheel. is that what you had to do?

£600 was the price Chester OPC quoted on a 991.1 that I was looking at.

The reference I made with regards to the airbag was that I had replaced the indicator stalk assembly on a 996 and would be the same for any wheel change with an airbag.

love154 said:
Myasinax said:
love154 said:

Thanks for that. what did it end up costing you to get it all done

The steering wheel with the airbag was expensive and cost around £800 for a good quality used one. The loom with shipping came in at about £250.

Phil 997 said:
Agreed if you just want the 997.2 991.1 sports wheel with paddles instead of the 997.2 wheel with rockers thats a very easy swap but that wheel didn't come with an MF option so you would lose that ,other than that its pretty much plug and play and will use the same round flat airbag , so you just need the wheel.
I swapped mine to the sport one but in manual. :thumb:

Where did you source your wheel from Phil? :?: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back