Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RS wheel carriers - effect on steering response

Sutton

I've just picked up the car after having had RS wheel carriers fitted.

I can't yet comment on bump steer as I haven't taken it on track yet. However, the steering does feel quicker than before which I wasn't expecting. Has anyone else noticed that?

Yes that would be what you would expect, all do do with the height the steering arms sit at relative to the hub.

You will notice a positive benefit in all situations with them, which at least helps get over the shock of the parts costs..

Thanks Trantorman.

The steering feels better as it's more responsive but not twitchy. Also unexpected was a slight reduction in steering weight.

It wasn't cheap but the difference is worth it to me.

I went with OEM Porsche carriers.

I'm aware of the BBi and 9M ones. I understand the BBi ones have altered the front geometry which is useful if you're running super low ride heights. I don't know much about the 9M ones because they became available just as the OEM ones were reproduced so I didn't follow up on them.

I had a bit of a disagreement with a Rennlister about this.
Yes the steering is quicker because the effective length of the steering arm is shorter. ref:- the horizontal lines, the intersection with the yellow line is the position of the ball joint in the track rod end.
Colin Belton told me it would be and it is. Odd at first but I grew to love it.

Attachments

• evouprights1_123.jpg
    evouprights1_123.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,654
Endoman,

That's a really useful diagram. I saw the various threads on Rennlist (Jackal had the same discussion) but didn't follow which part lengths were involved. It's clear as day now.

The main issue I wanted to address was bumpsteer. There's a nasty bump on the Millbrook bowl which had the car squirming so hopefully that will be significantly reduced. The car already feels less flighty on road but I'm not pushing it too hard there.

:thumb:

I didn't think they were still available?, hence the reason 9M commissioned their own?, what rough cost?,

Thanks
Trev

Hi Trev

They'd been on backorder for a couple of years but Porsche produced a batch that was released last October. From memory, the carriers, wheel bearings and tie rods were £900. But there's other stuff (brake backing plates, ABS sensors - expensive), labour, geo.

The steering is a lot more quiet - no noise which I originally thought was feedback, but was actually bumpsteer. The front grips better too. The car is currently at RS+10, so isn't particularly low.

I also need to get used to the quicker turn in.

I will be taking it back to Center Gravity for as close to RS spec geo as possible (apart from camber) and corner weighting again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back