Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant Change - How Often?

Jam911

Albert Park
I have a major service coming up and wanted to see when to change the coolant but there is not much info about.

What is the Porsche recommended and general consensus please?

I do mine every 5 years but the chances are you will have compromised the system in that time, ie header tank or water pump. Be aware that a drum of coolant from Porsche was £160 when I did mine last then mix with distilled water. Use the correct vacuum pump/filler, makes life much easier. Porsche claim "for life" but who knows what that really means? :eh!:

Its about £250 for enough Evans to fill a Porsche .. not cheap .

There is No replacement interval for coolant from Porsche .. you measure the content .. Porsche specifie a 50 / 50 mix which eqates to about -31 C .. i would recomend against spending money on this .. just get the strength checked and top up if needed .

Its not something ive done other than on a 944 .

Thank you for your wisdom on this.

I will not change it.

When I asked my independent he also suggsted not to change it. (This is from a well reputed one.)

Its weird, as BMW used to be quite religious about coolant changes (less now) but Porsche never did with the water cooled stuff.

SGH said:
I am considering Evans Waterless Coolant I have it in my Land Rovers and see RPM use it.

i've also looked into this
but its not just the cost of the waterless coolant itself
it also needs the evans prep fluid to remove any trace of water

but i do like the thought of it having no pressure in the system

no idea if it was paid promotion sales pitch snake oil stuff but saw a jay leno garage episode that stripped an engine that used evans waterless and one that used normal conventional coolant and the evans engine looked immaculate compared to the corroded engine with normal coolant

Having recently removed my radiators, engine, and various other coolant pipes, one thing I can say is that getting the old coolant out completely to fill with Evans is a non-trival task. I would only look at doing it after the engine has been out of the car and all coolant lines have been removed. The stuff stays pretty much everywhere!!

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back