Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Steering rack leaking

john f

Is there anyone out there that knows about 964 power steering
1991 C4 had ATF oil leaking from the l/h gator on the rack , on removal of the said gator oil flooded out
I removed the rack and had it re sealed by a reputable re conditioner
1 year 1000 mls later both rubber gators are full of fresh red Dextron DEX II ATF and even the centalising bung had oil run out on removal
its as though all the seals have blown
I filtered oil and no contaminates found
The rack is off again awaiting collection for re seal under warranty (if faulty)
what would cause a rack to blow its seals
High Pressure ?
Blocked Return ?
Faulty Pump , I amagine this would give low pressure if faulty , or would just leak ?
Incorrect rebuild ?

Regards
John F

There's a place over in Bristol that does refurbs for a good price and is recommended: Here

Might be worth giving them a bell?

Plus there's one in West Yorks now it would appear: Here

Re-con rack now installed

Replaced a return line from the rack back to the reservoir also the reservoir itself as the filter can not be cleaned (993 part)
I left the supply pipe to the rack disconnected and fired the engine for 10 sec seconds which flushed the supply pipe , messy even with rags everywhere
I then connected both rack pipes , flow and return but connected a long pipe
on the return to the reservoir directing it into a drain pan
did 5 or six 10 second engine runs flushing as much fluid through as possible turning engine off as soon as any air splutter could be heard and re topping up

I have a 1/2 Dozon of what looks like aluminium metal shavings in the drain pan so fine you can break them with your nail
where on earth as these from
Pump I presume
or are they from the build

I dare not turn the steering wheel at the moment

John F

Removed pump this morning
It can all be done from the top not easy though
Stripped and its as good as new inside
I had a spare pump that I resealed years ago ready to go back on
I will buy a seal kit for the unit I removed
the metal bits must be from the rack

John F