Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warning Light !!

bobi61

Silverstone
Ok guys the story so far,, I had a misfire on start up which brought on the engine management warning light,

I investigated and was told by my indy that the coil packs were in need of changing and 9 times out of 10 this will fix the misfire.

so I have changed the coil packs and just as before the engine runs fine when warmed up no misfire or lack of power, but the bloody warning light still come on, I deleted the message when I changed the coil packs and it said misfire on cylinder 6 !!!

The other thing to add into the mix is a very poorly battery that I need to charge before I use the car at weekend, even with a charge the engine only turns over slowly and only just fires up, again no issue when the engine warms up.

Last but least I topped the coolant up the other day, now the heat from the vents is cold when set at 23 degrees, ok I will lift the tag on top of the header tank but this was already in the up position without lifting the tab ???

:dont know:

change the battery, pressure test the coolant system, bleed should be folded down, reset faults, then see. Sounds as if you have more than one issue. Bleeding the coolant system is a right pain if not using the right tool. (vacuum pump connected to airline to drain and refill system)

A couple of questions ..

What was the original fault code .. was it a single cyl misfire ? if so what cyl.

What is the current fault code ?

Soo .. for as single cyl misfire i would look at the coil .. if cracked then i would be replaceing it along with any other coil i saw was cracked .. i wouldnt be replaceing ones that werent cracked though .. waste of money imho although i do get the long term aspect of doing all of them .

I would also be removeing the spark plug and checking it .. coil out so its a couple of extra mins to check it .. although i prefer to replace them on a single cyl misfire .

If we go with its not the "spark " thats the issue then we have wiring for the coils / injectors .. we have fuel injection and we have compression / valve timing .

Logically its not going to be valve timing for a single cyl misfire .

Logically its not going to be wireing to either the injector or the coil .. it runs fine when warm and both coils and injectors all share the same feeds .

Injector is a possible fault .. but a new one on me if so .. a poor spray pattern is the same reguardless of temp .. also these things just dont tend to fail .

left with compression .. it will misfire pretty much all the time .. heat wont really make a valve seal better so thats out .. logically anyways .

We are back to .. it needs a spark plug for that cylinder .

If we are talking a single bank of misfires .. that is better above 3k cold then we are looking at a high lift valve solinoid .

Need to know what the fault codes are really to go further .

Edit ..

You need to check the battery , if you dont have a tester then a garage to have it tested , they would check charge rate at the same time ..

It can be battery / starter motoror the power lead from alternator to the starter .

You topped up the coolant .. how much ?

An air lock will stop any heat coming into the cabin .. does the car blow hot air when on max temp ? if so then i would lean towards an interior temp sensor fault .. its over reading and telling the car its hotter than what it actually is .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back