Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS oil leak + oil cooler leak.

77szymon said:
Forgot to say - Thank You Alex for tool dimensions, saved me time and ££

so... I did it flange is off and cover on bearing removed, bearing looks new to me or should I say "fresh", spinning without any friction, as you can see on pictures flange has been removed before so bearing could be new, I can't trace if oil was leaking on flange seal but for sure leak occurred on 3 bolts at least 2 of them my question is should I put all of these back together and use some anti seize silkon, new flange-bolts?

I just sealed mine up with sealant. Do the bolt threads too. There's the crankcase bolt just above the ims flange that needs sealing too, check my thread below for demort's comment.

You could whack the latest RMS in too if it's weeping, they are cheap from cp4l

Have you cleaned it all up ? as a picture further back will tell me whats leaking .

The 2 bolts above this are known to leak .. case bolts .

Rule of thumb when doing this job .. replace it all so you dont have to do it again !

Clean the bolts .. i would use gasket sealent over normal silicone sealent on the bolts ... but to be honest we fit new ones .

No play in the ims i take it ? .. move it in / out and up / down .. if solid then i would say leave it .

Ims flange seal .. you can get just the orange rubber seal .. but im afraid i dont know where from .. im not back in untill tuesday so cant ask till then but let me know .

OPC will sell the entire flange though .

deMort said:
Ims flange seal .. you can get just the orange rubber seal .. but im afraid i dont know where from .. im not back in untill tuesday so cant ask till then but let me know .

OPC will sell the entire flange though .

You can get the seal from euro car parts. I got one, but it didn't fit my flange. Maybe they are different on later cars.

I think there's two different types for your flange - a plain one (that looks like an o-ring) and a ribbed one.

alex yates said:
I think there's two different types for your flange - a plain one (that looks like an o-ring) and a ribbed one.
Flanges and ribbed ones......are you still talking about cars or smut :grin:

deMort yes I have clean it I should take picture before it.... but leak was around flange also dust from clutch mixed with oil was around bolts from flange, rest of the engine clean, RMS new and perfect I will take better picture today with IMS and post later.

Thank you for info about seal I was thinking flange and seal - one piece, ordered from CP4L £6.79.

about play - No play in the ims i take it ? .. move it in / out and up / down - not sure what play you point out IMS itself or bearing in IMS, I can move around not much but still I can move it but I took off tensioners so should I be able move it or not? I didn't try to move in or out will do it today and report later, you know how this instruction sound a like.... :grin:

Thank you for your help guys!!!

When you turn the little spindle in the middle, the ball bearings should rotate at half the speed of the spindle. Try holding the bearings and their cage still whilst you turn the little spindle. If you can't the bearing is good. If you can the bearing is worn.

ok Alex I was ready to work on pictures so I can upload them, opened my jagermeister spice bottle and....... read your post..... so I dress again drove to my garage and tested bearing, so if I'm correct bearing is ok.

I block bearing with screwdriver red arrow and tried to spin bolt using screwdriver green arrow, "green" didn't spin - correct?

Attachments

• p55_575.png
    p55_575.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,702
deMort I tried move MY SHAFT :D up/down/left/right/in/out...... from picture you can see it is not in centre leaning left, I can't move it more to the left but I can move it to the centre, can't move it down, I can move not much up, can't move it in or out.
From my understanding shaft leaning left as tension on bank 2, down can't as chain keep in place but up not sure.

You can see on pictures that there is some oil in bolt holes I'm guessing this is my leak, flange looks nice seal looks fine but I will install new one.

I have LOCTITE 5900 can I use it for bolts or should I buy some diffrent stuff?

Oil cooler on top looks dry however you can see some pink coolant crystals also some more pink stuff where garbox is mounted and visible moisture under oil cooler I think to take it out but could this be from some other pipes around?- P2,P7

I have also spoted some oil leak from intake could be AOS? -P14,P15

Attachments

• p1_113.jpg
    p1_113.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 1,693
  • p2_102.jpg
    p2_102.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 1,693
  • p3_891.jpg
    p3_891.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 1,693
  • p4_191.jpg
    p4_191.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 1,693
  • p7_613.jpg
    p7_613.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 1,693
  • p8_139.jpg
    p8_139.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 1,693
  • p11_151.jpg
    p11_151.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 1,693
  • p12_122.jpg
    p12_122.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,693
  • p14_293.jpg
    p14_293.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 1,693
  • p15_671.jpg
    p15_671.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 1,693
Yes that is correct. If there was any slippage then bearing is showing signs of wear. If no slip then balls are touching both inner and outer race and have no wear.

Leave bearing alone now and fit back together with bearing seal removed so engine oil lubricates it.

Happy Days!! :thumbs:

As Alex has said .. it all sounds fine .

I forgot to mention before but your pictures have just reminded me .. there should be a small black O ring on the IMS shaft .. your picture shows its not there so just makeing sure you have already removed it and will be replaceing it .

deMort I don't know what O ring if it is not on picture then for sure is missing any sort of picture please.

wasz said:
I just sealed mine up with sealant. Do the bolt threads too. There's the crankcase bolt just above the ims flange that needs sealing too, check my thread below for demort's comment.

You could whack the latest RMS in too if it's weeping, they are cheap from cp4l

Thank you for point out your story just finished read about more then IMS :thumb: my Porsche got small leak or sweat on "vertical" tensioner did you have use sealant on them too or yours are ok?

For future reference instead of brake cleaner I use petrol to clean brake dust + oil works amazing also ££ cheaper.

Now I'm waiting for parts CP4L cheaper but time :what: in meantime working with rusty parts, also one of bolts from N/S aluminium strut snapped drilling awaits :evil:

its ok .. i can just about see it as per image below .

we would tend to replace this as part of the job .

Its there to stop oil leaking along the center shaft .

i will say .. the 13mm nut .. put dry bond or silicone under the nut before doing it up .. it will help stop any leaks from this seal .

Dry bond is a Porsche sealent .

Attachments

• p3_891_160.jpg
    p3_891_160.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 2,943
77szymon said:
Thank you for point out your story just finished read about more then IMS :thumb: my Porsche got small leak or sweat on "vertical" tensioner did you have use sealant on them too or yours are ok?

For future reference instead of brake cleaner I use petrol to clean brake dust + oil works amazing also ££ cheaper.

I put new O rings on the tensioners, and new aluminium crush washers. You could just use sealant I suppose, but I was on an OPC parts order anyway....

Thanks for the tip - I got brake cleaner from cp4l too I think it was £2 a can but it didn't last long....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back