Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Locking the doors without the battery

Ishay

I've just whipped out my battery for a bit to charge it indoors. I have a private drive but limited access to exterior power, so this was easier.

However, I couldn't lock the car before I removed the battery because the alarm went off (on some secondary power that presumably won't last too long?). However with the car unlocked and the battery removed, the manual key only locks the driver door.

Is there a way to lock both doors without the battery present?

Admittedly with the bonnet ajar, the passenger door probably isn't the car' biggest security weak point anyway, but is it possible?

If you lock the car then disconect the battery the car will think its a theft attempt and trigger the siren , this has its own in built battery and can keep going for hours .

Logically if i was trying this i would remove the siren before hand , then lock and remove the battery .. no siren and no noise .

The passengers door doesnt have a key lock and is locked via a 12volt supply .. without a battery then im afraid i see no way of locking it .

Even if someone was to open the bonnet , get in the car and actually have a jump pack then they still have to over come not having an ignition key .. as long as there is nothing worth stealing in the car then i think someone actually takeing the car would be unusual .

Could you not buy a cheapo battery and fit it? It doesn't have to be big enough to start or run the car, just to lock/unlock it.

I'd buy as many extension leads that's needed and put a c-tek on it :grin:

Thanks all. Yes looks like I'll be buying a very long extension lead. 40m should do it.

Ishay said:
Thanks all. Yes looks like I'll be buying a very long extension lead. 40m should do it.
:floor:

hell, if you are anywhere near me (Shropshire) I'll lend you a battery!

Unsure if this is possible, do you have a spare key for the ignition to keep in the car then lock it with the other key with bonnet open. Remove battery then open drivers door with other key, this will keep passenger door locked and when you close the bonnet make sure you have the wire from under the drivers side headlight easy to get to so you can pop the bonnet to refit the battery.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if you can lock the door with the key in the ignition?

Having bought a 50m extension lead today, it's now running from a back garden socket. I've connected up the same trickle charger (not a ctek - I know that'll be the first question/answer) that I was using just fine in the house and the led lights on the charger suggest it's in the right mode and charging.

But every two minutes or so the car beeps (quietly, quite high pitched and for about 1 second from around the driver's front wing). Is this normal? A quick google didn't come up with a long list of Q&A on this, which it does with most 911 "is it normal questions" these days.

Do you have the car locked or unlocked ?

The siren is n/s/f of the battery but tends to give a chirp .. well that or a full blown 120 Db sound .

Im wondering if the car doesnt like maybe being locked and on charge .. or its a motor bike charger :dont know:

logically being locked shouldnt make any difference to it being on charge .. it should just maintain the battery lvl which the car wont react to .. im left with the charger atm .. again ..
:dont know:

Im not helping much am i .. sigh .

assuming you have re-fitted the battery then it may well be the alarm that has discharged its battery and is getting a bit of charge from the charger you have connected. Incidentally with that length lead you will have low voltage and a severe current limitation.

Yes the battery is back in and the car is locked on a charge. The full alarm siren did not sound, this is very faint.

Don't be confused by the URL name, it's a car and battery charger. It on the car setting.

Well, whatever the cause and whatever the loss in the wire, it worked. Last night it was off full and this morning it is fully charged

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back