Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paint Protection Film

GT3GT3 said:
ukrr said:
I've been thinking about this for a while and often worry about removal - this was heightened this week when a well known youtuber had a wrap (not ppf) removed from his murcialago and it took big chunks of his clear coat with it :-(

That's because it was wrapped over a shonky respray. Over a factory finish paint job it'll be fine.
Yes, I followed that saga - it's rather convenient for the yoochoobers and their favourite wrap company that the previous respray has borne the brunt of the blame (which probably has played its part). However, there are a few other things to bear in mind on that particular car not least of which was the appalling quality of the fit and finish of the wrap's original application (there was a vid about various poorly fitting parts including the engine cover sitting about half an inch proud for crying out loud!!). But in their eyes the wrap company can do no wrong!
What I found more interesting was that in the same vid Paul mentioned how cold it was in their workshop - far from optimum conditions for removing vinyl wraps! I think a lack of care and attention is prevalent in this case - if you find a company who cares then all "should" be well (although they all generally will not accept responsibility for lifting lacquer).

k11pol said:
I've been told that the PPF also hides and prevents any swirl marks in the paint work. I'm going to go for it and as requested will put up some pics when done.
The PPF will generally not hide swirl marks (you may get away with hiding some light swirl marks depending on the colour) and will simply "lock them in" so if you have them you'll be needing a full detail and paint correction first.

squelch said:
k11pol said:
I've been told that the PPF also hides and prevents any swirl marks in the paint work. I'm going to go for it and as requested will put up some pics when done.
The PPF will generally not hide swirl marks (you may get away with hiding some light swirl marks depending on the colour) and will simply "lock them in" so if you have them you'll be needing a full detail and paint correction first.

Fully agree with the above. Detail first

I had my bonnet, front bumper, front wings, sills and half rear arches done at MaxProtect in Kings Langley. White 991.1 C4S and I do c90 miles a day in it and I think it has saved many chips on the M25 etc. Janis who owns that company has GT3 and 2 RS new and old direct from OPCs and he has done a 918 you can see on YouTube. Top guy and does ceramic coatings on wheels and reforms paint work

Attachments

• img_e0351_605.jpg
    img_e0351_605.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5,898
MLB9911 said:
I had my bonnet, front bumper, front wings, sills and half rear arches done at MaxProtect in Kings Langley. White 991.1 C4S and I do c90 miles a day in it and I think it has saved many chips on the M25 etc. Janis who owns that company has GT3 and 2 RS new and old direct from OPCs and he has done a 918 you can see on YouTube. Top guy and does ceramic coatings on wheels and reforms paint work

Wheels and ducktail. :thumbs:

I'll keep my eyes open if you are in the southern edge of the county or north London.

MLB9911 said:

I had my 991.2 protected by MaxProtect... :thumbs: money well spent in my opinion...

Sorry for the delay but I've been away for a while. I had the PPF fitted by Clark Aitken who used to work at polished bliss but has since went on his own. I haven't had time to give it a very thorough inspection but what I can see looks excellent.

It was meant to be a full bonnet,wings,mirrors,bumper kit,side skirts,rear bumper impact areas but due to some inferior re spray work arranged by OPC Wimslow before I collected the car he couldn't do the side skirts as the paintwork was so badly flicked in to hide the chips he couldn't guarantee a perfect finish and future damage to the paint if removed. I guess that's what you call a perfectionist. The mirrors had some very slight marks that would also be difficult to hide so also refused to do them as he gave it a try but couldn't get a perfect finish.

I'm hoping the pics be;ow upload if not I'll try again.

Attachments

• 10788977_9701_466f_90d0_c1028dc53b5e_204.png
    10788977_9701_466f_90d0_c1028dc53b5e_204.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,907
  • 4c30a2b8_15bb_4764_adf3_0e08f567fefe_187.png
    4c30a2b8_15bb_4764_adf3_0e08f567fefe_187.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,907
  • f63fe8b2_e6b3_44b6_9683_8ad9fee82e88_153.png
    f63fe8b2_e6b3_44b6_9683_8ad9fee82e88_153.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,907
I also have a VW T6 California and just had front end done in Xpel with the Xpel Fusion Plus ceramic coating.

Thinking of getting the rest done now, really please with the results.

Sorry you have just reminded me I never mentioned what the PPF was. It was Expel ultimate. I asked for ceramic coating also but unfortunately he couldn't fit me in as it was an after thought from me so will be done at a later date.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back